The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

I get all that and I had the privilege to watch previous teams of ours who demonstrated the team work you talk about.....

In your rendition, you talk about Michael Jordan....one of the best basket ball players of all time, you talk about Barcelona, at their pomp, possessed the best individual players in the world, you see there is a constant here, quality of individual.

I am not dismissing good coaching or even under playing it, its crucial.....but its clear by factual evidence that every manager is in pursuit of better quality individuals.....If it was just coaching the pursuit would be less evident.

Steve Bruce has played at a much higher level than some of our previous managers who have demonstrated " team Play" .....I don't think Steve Bruce is lost on that.....but Steve Bruce hasn't got the quantity of quality those managers  had.

You can teach anybody anything, but its whether they take it in......also I watch our team and I accept we all see it differently.....but I see moves breaking down in the main through individual errors or poor play, when you are coaching you are working on ideal situations......its like devising a route for someone, then Roadworks and diversions scupper the plan.

I don't see our stop start football or lack of cohesion as necessarily a coaching deficiency, I see it as poor application in the main, by some individuals , not all......but it disrupts the good work by the good ones.

If I am being Honest I think its a bit of both.....one affects the other.

However, I will say this.....whatever the answer is, these new owners will soon get to the bottom of it, because the previous 2 were not at Villa Park with their finger on the pulse like Nassef now is, anywhere near enough.

They will not procrastinate.....They will identify weakness of any description.

You will actually find TRO, that if there was a constant to be found in the examples I gave, it was actually the impact of good coaching.

Yes Michael Jordan was talented, but perhaps I didn't illustrate this well enough, he played in the league for 7 years without winning a trophy.

It wasn't until Phil Jackson came in with his emphasis on spirituality, community, empathy, equal opportunity and involvement of everyone in decision making processes. What ensued was sporting greatness. The Bulls didn't recruit anyone particularly talented above the level of their opponents. I'm not going to go on about it anymore because it's the Grealish thread. I personally think you might enjoy reading about Phil Jackson's coaching, if you're interested, here is an 8 page article titled, Phil Jackson: The Zen and Counterculture Coach.

https://uhra.herts.ac.uk/bitstream/handle/2299/1346/900740.pdf?sequence=1

He was labelled on odd-ball loner and a hippie, yet he was undisputed as the most successful coach when he walked away from the game.

What Bielsa did with Bilbao was a ridiculous achievement, yet it is not advertised or written about because that would undermine the hype and superficiality consistent in most press.

To give you a little insight, he had a 23 man squad, 17 of those players were free transfers, youth academy products or bought for a fee of under 300k.

He took Bilbao to 10th in La Liga, the final of the Europa League and the Copa  del Rey. Beating Manchester United in both legs, they were only stopped short of their trophies by Atletico and Barcelona. Like the Chicago Bulls, the emphasis was on demanding fitness regimes, in order to be able to implement the tactics employed by the coach.

It's little surprise to me that it is Bielsa's Leeds who sit above us, after enjoying a 4-1 victory of promotion hopefuls Derby.

As for Barca, they were actually undergoing a dry spell of trophies at the time Rijkaard was appointed and set the wheels in motion for Guardiola to continue.

Okay, okay. I said this is the Grealish thread and I meant it. I just really want to convey that development should never cease in any walk of life, and a coach's role is vital in setting the ethos and standards for which a team will operate. They are responsible for the implementation of ideas and philosophy, and ideas are bulletproof!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Hmm mm. 

Only problem with this is that Basketball isn't a proper sport! 

"MUUUM, MUM, MUM!

sidcow is saying Basketball isn't a proper sport again!"

I was actually surprised to learn that England's top tier of basketball was the equivalent of Australia's 5th tier.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

You will actually find TRO, that if there was a constant to be found in the examples I gave, it was actually the impact of good coaching.

Yes Michael Jordan was talented, but perhaps I didn't illustrate this well enough, he played in the league for 7 years without winning a trophy.

It wasn't until Phil Jackson came in with his emphasis on spirituality, community, empathy, equal opportunity and involvement of everyone in decision making processes. What ensued was sporting greatness. The Bulls didn't recruit anyone particularly talented above the level of their opponents. I'm not going to go on about it anymore because it's the Grealish thread. I personally think you might enjoy reading about Phil Jackson's coaching, if you're interested, here is an 8 page article titled, Phil Jackson: The Zen and Counterculture Coach.

He was labelled on odd-ball loner and a hippie, yet he was undisputed as the most successful coach when he walked away from the game.

What Bielsa did with Bilbao was a ridiculous achievement, yet it is not advertised or written about because that would undermine the hype and superficiality consistent in most press.

To give you a little insight, he had a 23 man squad, 17 of those players were free transfers, youth academy products or bought for a fee of under 300k.

He took Bilbao to 10th in La Liga, the final of the Europa League and the Copa  del Rey. Beating Manchester United in both legs, they were only stopped short of their trophies by Atletico and Barcelona. Like the Chicago Bulls, the emphasis was on demanding fitness regimes, in order to be able to implement the tactics employed by the coach.

It's little surprise to me that it is Bielsa's Leeds who sit above us, after enjoying a 4-1 victory of promotion hopefuls Derby.

As for Barca, they were actually undergoing a dry spell of trophies at the time Rijkaard was appointed and set the wheels in motion for Guardiola to continue.

Okay, okay. I said this is the Grealish thread and I meant it. I just really want to convey that development should never cease in any walk of life, and a coach's role is vital in setting the ethos and standards for which a team will operate. They are responsible for the implementation of ideas and philosophy, and ideas are bulletproof!

You are right, it should be about Jack.....However,We will see how he does with Leeds.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Or alternatively you could say that Bielsa has won nothing in Europe, and after a sport spell of brilliant football it usually falls apart because he is total perfectionist and all the players get either annoyed or injured.  Lets see where Leeds end up in May. This time last season they were convinced they were going up, and ended up mid table with 2 sacked managers.

Grealish is the best player in the league. Lets build the team around that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Or alternatively you could say that Bielsa has won nothing in Europe, and after a sport spell of brilliant football it usually falls apart because he is total perfectionist and all the players get either annoyed or injured.  Lets see where Leeds end up in May. This time last season they were convinced they were going up, and ended up mid table with 2 sacked managers.

Grealish is the best player in the league. Lets build the team around that.

I would say he is demanding as a coach and an eternal student of the game, rather than a perfectionist. He seems quite personable, the resounding feedback that I'm aware of is positive. The worst case being that he takes some time to get used to but eventually wins you over, which sounds more like a culture-shock than a criticism.

I would prefer it to be Aston Villa has built the best team in the league, Grealish plays a vital role in that.

3 minutes ago, withes_shin said:

I'd love to, but unfortunately I'm at work at the minute and they sound like two names that could take me to websites that are not appropriate ?

Both are roughly five foot five inches tall, NBA players.

One played alongside Manut Bol who was like ten foot ten inches, funny to see them side by side.

Edited by A'Villan

5 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Non promotion release clause of £30m I reckon.

i imagine it will be less, a non promotion clause should in effect under value him (maybe £30m does ;) ) id expect it to be closer to £20m, whether or not they squeeze a CL team release clause out of us too...

and then spurs finish 5th ?

Â