The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

one of the spurs forums has a thread should they buy grealish for mega bucks or take the cheaper option in McGinn, theres a fair few spurs fans who would rather take McGinn

I believe Levy has already made an opening offer of £15

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, richp999 said:

If it were me, I'd refuse to leave. This year, anyway. 

These days there are many young players whose once promising careers have been ruined by a 'big money' move. 

Clubs with huge amounts of cash just hoover them up, sometimes just so that thier rivals don't get them first. 

Jack won't be first on the team sheet at spurs, probably not second whatever he's been told. Do you think he'll play in front of Ali etc? 

If it were me, I'd stay at villa, sign a new deal. 

I'd still be on circa 50k a week with villa, so not exactly skint. 

Then i'd do my best to help villa get promoted this year ;and if we do then the picture looks different next season and I'd expect another pay rise and new deal. 

England don't have a tournament for, 2 years, so it wont be a problem to play in the championship for this year, then move to PL for a year to get selected ; Southgate won't ignore him if he has a stellar year in the championship. 

Id see how it pans out this year, if the owners spend more now, and in Jan. 

If we don't make promotion this season, I'd look to leave next, after signing a new deal and earning a higher bid for villa

Would you rather your career fizzle out at spurs, or become a hero at villa. 

Every game villa play the fans sing McGrath's name ; he hasnt played for us for years. 

Legend or another few quid? You decide! 

People should watch the send off that Totti got when he hung up his boots at Roma last year.  Honestly one of THE most moving things I have ever seen at a sports stadium - I don't think there was a single person there who didn't shed at least a few tears.  You could see some of his team-mates just completely awestruck by the reaction - and you could see in their eyes that at that moment money was a long way from the front of their minds.  How long that lasted is another matter.  But maybe we should get someone to show the video to Jack?

• Like 3

He would hardly be a Delph/Downing but this whole 'one of us' thing is a bit unrealistic if you ask me. No doubt he's a Villa fan but he is far more interested in his own career than Villa's successes. Like 99% of players.

He's had flashes of brilliance as a youngster, then flashes of idiocy in Magaluf, then a major injury and then a good half season with a couple of goals. Given the first opportunity to move on to better and he will. It's not even like Barry 'giving us one more season'. This is his first real opportunity to leave and he wants to.

I don't think it's any more mercenary than most players but I can't see where the rose-tinted view that he's some how loyal and stayed with us despite everything has come from. 

When he leaves I'm genuinely not sure exactly what his legacy is - 90% of his time here has been about 'potential'. He'll have played 60 games with 9 goals and 10 assists (stats according to Whoscored.com).

To put that in to context, Hourihane is only about 3 appearances behind him and has scored 12 goals in Villa colours.

Grealish is getting close to achieving his potential, much like Young, Barry and Milner before him, and he'll leave the second he can for better things. We ate making it easy by being in the Championship but I doubt it'd make much difference if we were also rans in the PL.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, allani said:

People should watch the send off that Totti got when he hung up his boots at Roma last year.  Honestly one of THE most moving things I have ever seen at a sports stadium - I don't think there was a single person there who didn't shed at least a few tears.  You could see some of his team-mates just completely awestruck by the reaction - and you could see in their eyes that at that moment money was a long way from the front of their minds.  How long that lasted is another matter.  But maybe we should get someone to show the video to Jack?

I went to Torres's one at Atletico this summer. They did a presentation for about an hour post game. They had flying giant shirts and videos. All the things. 

It didn't stop him leaving for Liverpool/Chelsea/(Milan?!) though!

44 minutes ago, allani said:

I would only have to look at what Gabby has accrued......to know where my bread is buttered.

Spurs is a risk......There will be no slack cut for him and he will always be known for his affinity to villa by the fans.....some players are too ingrained in their club like steven Gerrard....Jack would be well advised to stay put.

you can't have you cake and eat it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, villanmac said:

Comparing to Hourihane is doing exactly the opposite of putting it into context. If JG has the ball at the start of every meaningful possession attack he isn't going to have 15 goals and 15 assists a season because he isn't going to be bypassing the build up play to be there for the final pass or shot

Its pointless comparing JG to typical midfield players because he doesn't play as one. He is unique which is why this 20 odd million b**locks from Spurs pisses me off (and us considering letting him go pisses me off).

An example of another player whose assists and goals stats are meaningless in the context of his ability, Luka Modric one of the best and most influential players in the world. Last season - 63 games, 4 goals and 8 assists.

I'm not comparing, I said context. What I am saying is Grealish has actually done very little here over a limited number of games. It's all been about his potential. Now he's showing an element of consistency he wants to move on to pastures new. Nothing unusual in that - just pointing out he doesn't leave as either a legend or as a loyal local boy in my eyes.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

I'm not comparing, I said context. What I am saying is Grealish has actually done very little here over a limited number of games. It's all been about his potential. Now he's showing an element of consistency he wants to move on to pastures new. Nothing unusual in that - just pointing out he doesn't leave as either a legend or as a loyal local boy in my eyes.

You make a fair point, one worth considering.

15 minutes ago, TRO said:

I would only have to look at what Gabby has accrued......to know where my bread is buttered.

Spurs is a risk......There will be no slack cut for him and he will always be known for his affinity to villa by the fans.....some players are too ingrained in their club like steven Gerrard....Jack would be well advised to stay put.

You are right, signing for Spurs is a risk. He might not get game time etc.

But this is football....probably the only sport/industry where you can have you cake and eat it.

He gets a massive pay rise, signing on fee, increased endorsements. If he's a success that increases. If he's a flop, somebody else will buy him to take a chance on him. A pay off to leave and another signing on fee etc.

Only in football.....

4 minutes ago, imavillan said:

You are right, signing for Spurs is a risk. He might not get game time etc.

But this is football....probably the only sport/industry where you can have you cake and eat it.

He gets a massive pay rise, signing on fee, increased endorsements. If he's a success that increases. If he's a flop, somebody else will buy him to take a chance on him. A pay off to leave and another signing on fee etc.

Only in football.....

Maybe Hollywood too. There are so many shit scripts and shit films yet the same 'creative people' seem to get endless opportunities.

Now I'm thinking about it...bankers, politicians. The world is broken.

Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I think he's off. He didn't look himself at all (body language wise) last night.

i think my favourite response to this on twitter was he's obviously just tired from all those medicals he's been having

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I think he's off. He didn't look himself at all (body language wise) last night.

The feeling I get from this is that the lad is simply torn and who wouldn't be. That aside, he will still be a Villa player on Friday morning.

Spurs should be made an example of for their tight fisted half arsed approach over the whole thing. C***s!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, richp999 said:

England don't have a tournament for, 2 years, so it wont be a problem to play in the championship for this year, then move to PL for a year to get selected ; Southgate won't ignore him if he has a stellar year in the championship. 

He could always stay with us and get his international games in playing for Ireland. ;)

51 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think if Liverpool had been a championship club, then Gerrard's affinity wouldn't have been so strong. As for Grealish's link to Villa being held against him, I don't recall Gascoigne's link to Newcastle being a problem. If he does go, then, I for one, whish him well.

14 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

The feeling I get from this is that the lad is simply torn and who wouldn't be. That aside, he will still be a Villa player on Friday morning.

Spurs should be made an example of for their tight fisted half arsed approach over the whole thing. C***s!

You have not waivered in your belief yet, and I hope you are correct. I don't get to as many games as I used to in my younger days, but I have tickets for the Wigan game with my Dad and I hope to see Jack playing in that game for us.

• Like 1

A mate of mine is a huge Celtic fan, he told me this morning he would be gutted if they don't get McGinn. Says he is the standout player in the SPL (I know that's not saying a terrible lot)

I don't think it means Grealish is off, but if he isn't you would have to ask questions about what role Lansbury is going to have? Would make him 7th?? choice CM! And that's not considering the likes of Doyle-Hayes. 

2 hours ago, Godders said:

What do you make of Bruce's comments yesterday that we haven't had a realistic offer for him yet then? 

I doubt very much Levy will meet our valuation. More likely that he will make a fuss and a very public £20m offer on the last day or two and expect Grealish and his agent to push the deal through.

Â