The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

Well whatever is to unfold in the coming weeks, the fact is we are in a much better position now, the takeover went through pretty quickly, seems our fortune is finally changing, quite literally. 

Gut feeling is Jack wants to stay, but if our valuation is met, the sale may well happen to fall in line with FFP. But im certain the new money men know he is the crown jewel here, and will no doubt be having private one on ones with Jack himself to clarify plans, etc. What looked highly improbable last week, Jack Grealish starting the season with us, now looks a not so far-fetched possibily now. Im happy for that and hopefully we can push on now. Just a massive shame these buyers werent the ones to takeover from Lerner. UTV

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Is he? One of the papers linking him to Spurs suggested he’d be offered a payrise to a £20k/week deal. 

Yes I saw that and thought it. Odd. 

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

No way he'll be on 60/70k. Their star player Christian Eriksen only recently broke the 60k mark with them after all these years.

Alderweireld has been on something like 45k :crylaugh: 

Spurs have been hilariously underpaying (relative to the market) their players. If anything, I imagine Jack would see a decrease in his wages if he goes there.

Alderweireld is on £70k and is demanding £180k! 

Spurs have historically paid lower wages but that is changing as contracts are being renewed. They are currently paying Onomah £20k/week so at the very least Jack would double his wages. They aren’t going to sign him for £30-40m and pay him a sub par salary.

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Haha answered as a villa fan and not a realist.  As if your going to turn down a offer of 60 or 70k a week as opposed 20k here.

Let's be real here.

This is what it's come to. Just think what that means. Twenty. Thousand. Pounds. A WEEK. Once you've got the nice house and car, what are you going to do with it? I couldn't spend that much - and I've got an imagination, unlike most footballers. What use is sixty, or seventy? It's just figures on paper, and an ego stroke, to out-do your colleagues. I can understand an ambitious player wanting to move for reasons of professional success, pride, trophies, international honours, but... money? At that level, it's practically meaningless. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

This is what it's come to. Just think what that means. Twenty. Thousand. Pounds. A WEEK. Once you've got the nice house and car, what are you going to do with it? I couldn't spend that much - and I've got an imagination, unlike most footballers. What use is sixty, or seventy? It's just figures on paper, and an ego stroke, to out-do your colleagues. I can understand an ambitious player wanting to move for reasons of professional success, pride, trophies, international honours, but... money? At that level, it's practically meaningless. 

Sadly that’s the modern game in a nutshell. You have to remember that Jacks agent is Jonathan Barnett, the same man who advised Jack to declare for England as it would earn him potentially ‘many millions’ in sponsorship opportunities. He also represents Gareth Bale who he apparently tried to convince to declare for England at 15 and failed. Despite Bale’s success Barnett claims that decision has cost Bale ‘millions and millions of pounds’.

We all know Jack loves Villa and would probably be very happy to continue on his current deal but football doesn’t work like that anymore. It’s all agents and advisors behind the scenes arguing over money.

5 minutes ago, Fight Like Lions said:

Sadly that’s the modern game in a nutshell. You have to remember that Jacks agent is Jonathan Barnett, the same man who advised Jack to declare for England as it would earn him potentially ‘many millions’ in sponsorship opportunities. He also represents Gareth Bale who he apparently tried to convince to declare for England at 15 and failed. Despite Bale’s success Barnett claims that decision has cost Bale ‘millions and millions of pounds’.

We all know Jack loves Villa and would probably be very happy to continue on his current deal but football doesn’t work like that anymore. It’s all agents and advisors behind the scenes arguing over money.

But as you just pointed out re: Bale, footballers don’t always follow their agent’s advice.

FWIW I don’t think Jack will stay here but not because of wages though I’m sure he’s tempted by earning more. It’ll be due to FFP from the club’s perspective and the chance to play in the Premier League and get into the England squad from Jack’s. I think he’ll still be very sad to leave us and may even consider it abandoning us at our lowest point. It could be that his sale is what contributes to saving the club, so perhaps that’s how some people are selling it to him.

Unless the new investors/owners or whatever they are have some amazing ideas and workarounds regarding FFP then Jack leaving this summer is inevitable but I think it would discredit him to suggest it’s all about his wealth.

1 hour ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Well whatever is to unfold in the coming weeks, the fact is we are in a much better position now, the takeover went through pretty quickly, seems our fortune is finally changing, quite literally. 

Gut feeling is Jack wants to stay, but if our valuation is met, the sale may well happen to fall in line with FFP. But im certain the new money men know he is the crown jewel here, and will no doubt be having private one on ones with Jack himself to clarify plans, etc. What looked highly improbable last week, Jack Grealish starting the season with us, now looks a not so far-fetched possibily now. Im happy for that and hopefully we can push on now. Just a massive shame these buyers werent the ones to takeover from Lerner. UTV

Maybe it's a bit (or even a lot) like how Citeh had to endure the pain of Thaksin Shinawatra before they got the Sheikhs in. 

There are parallels to be drawn. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Maybe it's a bit (or even a lot) like how Citeh had to endure the pain of Thaksin Shinawatra before they got the Sheikhs in. 

Didn’t Wolves also have to suffer a dodgy owner before Fosun group finally took over? 

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Let's hope there are!!

6 minutes ago, Ginko said:

But as you just pointed out re: Bale, footballers don’t always follow their agent’s advice.

FWIW I don’t think Jack will stay here but not because of wages though I’m sure he’s tempted by earning more. It’ll be due to FFP from the club’s perspective and the chance to play in the Premier League and get into the England squad from Jack’s. I think he’ll still be very sad to leave us and may even consider it abandoning us at our lowest point. It could be that his sale is what contributes to saving the club, so perhaps that’s how some people are selling it to him.

Unless the new investors/owners or whatever they are have some amazing ideas and workarounds regarding FFP then Jack leaving this summer is inevitable but I think it would discredit him to suggest it’s all about his wealth.

I believe that was because Bale’s father stepped in early on to put a stop to any discussion about him playing for England.

I don’t think he will be moving for the wages either but that obviously comes with a step up to the Premier League. I think the opportunity to try and earn a place in the England squad is probably of more importance to him than money. 

My initial point was that if he stays I believe we will need to offer him an improved contract. Something that would be good for him and very sensible to protect his value should he then need to be sold next summer.  

23 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Grealish says he is one of us and he wanted to stay whenever talk about Dr T having to sell him to balance the books.  Ive a feeling his bluff could called on this one.

Yeah I'd be surprised if he hasn't already decided he wants to go, and who could blame him.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I was thinking about that - didn't they have some Icelandic guy before that too? Tony was our starter that left an odd taste in the mouth, but the chateaux briande is about to be served and the smell from the kitchen is something else! #AmazingAnalogies

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I was thinking about that - didn't they have some Icelandic guy before that too? Tony was our starter that left an odd taste in the mouth, but the chateaux briande is about to be served and the smell from the kitchen is something else! #AmazingAnalogies

I think the Icelandic owners were West Ham, but my memory is not that great anymore.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I agree but sadly thats the world we live in. If your earning 80k a month I mean seriously how much of that are you going to spend? Money's ruined football sadly.

35 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Everybody is on about the hyperbole of "the pain" when in actual fact the "pain" re:ownership has only lasted about a month. (Tax problems, cash flow etc)

The 2 seasons prior to that we were "challenging" and spending big money relative to the league.

I get your point though, and that is not aimed at just you.

Just baffles me what short memories people have.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

Steve Bull never played a top flight game in his career because of his love of playing for Wolves. 

He was actually willing to sign for us having held informal talks with our then chairman (HDE) on his boat in 1990. He returned from World Cup duty but then heard nothing more about the move he had been expecting to make to us. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

This is what it's come to. Just think what that means. Twenty. Thousand. Pounds. A WEEK. Once you've got the nice house and car, what are you going to do with it

Depends on your lifestyle and interests really. Once I have my house paid off I imagine I could live on 20k a year fairly comfortably. But when you start rubbing elbows with the rich and famous I imagine it becomes fairly easy to burn through huge stacks of money. What, you mean you only have 1 supercar, and it's 2 years old? Eugh. And just one holiday home? Learn to live, man. 

• Like 1

I think Jack will go regardless now, the lure of Champions League football is too big for many players. Even if we were in the PL as a mid table side, we’d still lose players to CL sides. 

I don’t begrudge him a move, and I’ll be really pleased for him if it all pans out. 

7 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I think Jack will go regardless now, the lure of Champions League football is too big for many players. Even if we were in the PL as a mid table side, we’d still lose players to CL sides. 

I don’t begrudge him a move, and I’ll be really pleased for him if it all pans out. 

Tottenham won't be regular Champions league qualifiers I don't think. 

He'll get 1 year of it only I reckon. 

Â