The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

3 hours ago, CosmicVillan said:

With him in the team they wouldn't have needed to do that. I think it was a deliberate tactic because Southgate knew we had nobody who could carry a threat from midfield so instead of going sideways and backwards as they did in other games to retain possession they tried to hit the front players early and use their pace to get in behind. He knew we couldn't beat them at their own game in the middle of the park so he came up with a strategy to negate it.

With a player like Grealish you suddenly have someone who can hold on to the ball, beat his man and with the movement & pace in front of him play through balls for the attackers and hopefully stop Kane  particularly dropping so deep.  All ifs , buts & maybe's I know but next time at St George's Park I'm going to have a word.   

I said it before, in an England shirt I can visualise that thing he does where he suddenly breezes past a player (and you're not even sure how he did it) then is on the attack moving the team forwards. 

It's not really about him scoring goals or directly setting up someone. 

It's about the relentless positive forward motion, constantly putting the defence on the back foot, dragging midfielders and defenders to him, looking to receive the ball ALL THE TIME just generally taking the game by the scruff of the neck. 

It's simply inspiring to watch him play the game and make it look so natural and easy whilst everyone around him just looks laboured. 

• Like 4

He's the type of player England were missing. 2 years with pottchetino and he'll be a key figure at the euros IMO. 

Sad for him to go, particularly grating that it'll be cheap, but will be good to see him step up. Hope he fulfills the promise. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

None of the Moderators are looking forward to putting this one in Other Football...

I dont think any of the fans are either. This is possibly the worst feeling of a player leaving since probably Barry

• Like 1

On 11/07/2018 at 15:40, Karl Emil said:

Hi, spurs fan here in peace. It seems that Grealish going to Tottenham is likely, could anybody tell me a bit about him as a player? Some Tottenham fans are talking about him as a replacement to Dembele but I thought he was an attacking midfielder. Could be schooled to a central midfielder/box-to-box midfielder or is he already playing that role for you?

He is the biggest talent I have ever seen in a Villa shirt. His technique, ball control and dribbling ability is just unique. He plays a bit like he is still on the school yard, and that's what he has been critisized for previously, instead of being efficent and going for goal he has dribbled and held up the play. He is accused of going down easily but it's simply because the way he plays draws a lot of fouls. This season has been his break through, he had a freak injury (kidney?) early on and was out for a couple of months. He bulked up during that time and came back more powerful and with a more direct style. Also Terry and others seem to have had a big influence on him becoming more professional.

I would say he has bigger potential than Dele Alli and I guess that says something to you. If you like Dele Allis nutmegs, look forward to Jack.

I have never ever felt so low about losing a Villa player. He is one of our own and it will cause massive discontent if/when he is sold (just to fill up the holes in the budget that our owner Dr Fraud has caused).

Edited by Keener window-cleaner
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, flamingsombrero said:

I'll get slaughtered for this but I'm sorry I've just never seen it. Not at the insane level most put him up at anyway. I recon he'll be somewhere like Watford or Palace in a couple of years.

You’re gonna get slaughtered for that.  FWIW, his one-on-one ability is obvious and impressive, but his team contribution has never been as clear.  For his sake (and some supporters here) I hope wherever he goes turns into the player they already see.  

Edited by srsmithusa
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, flamingsombrero said:

I'll get slaughtered for this but I'm sorry I've just never seen it. Not at the insane level most put him up at anyway. I recon he'll be somewhere like Watford or Palace in a couple of years.

It's possible. Certainly not nailed on for him to be as good as we think he will, he's 23 in a month or so and it's yet to be seen how influential he can be at the top level. I think he'll be world class but he'll need to improve exponentially for that to happen in the next few years. Right now, Jack is probably on track to be a decent Spurs player, rather than a Palace or Real Madrid player.

Speaking of Palace, not a terrible place to end up in recent years. They have:

Zaha, who didn't cut it at United, is apparently now worth 70 million. Got his move to United at Jack's age.

Townsend, who's Spurs career didn't last, still a solid top tier player. Enjoyed his first season as a regular for Spurs at Jack's age.

Benteke, we know his quality, despite not quite making the grade at Liverpool. Had his breakout season at Jack's age.

Cabaye, who started in a world class PSG side, just left. Was already a nailed on starter for Lille at Jack's age.

I think he could end up at Real Madrid, so let's have a look at two former Spurs who did just that:

Gareth Bale, while he was a Spurs regular earlier, Bale arguably had his breakout season at Jack's age, one year later he would bang in over 20 goals for the season.

Luka Modric, scored 17 goals in a season for Dinamo Zagreb and sealed his move to Spurs at Jack's age.

5 hours ago, flamingsombrero said:

I reluctantly agree...  I don't think he's PL title challenging material - more of the next tier like Everton and dare I say it Leicester level.  I think its a strange move by Spurs

7 hours ago, flamingsombrero said:

I hope we are bidding alongside them if that proves to be the case but I doubt that we will be and that he will want to drop down a division to sign for either of these clubs. I've been trying to think of another Villa player sale that has had anywhere near the same impact on me. Bruce Rioch came to mind as did David Platt, Gordon Cowans, Brian Little to Small Heath (which happily never happened) and the exits of John Gidman and Andy Gray. I think Jack's sale would arguably be the worst bit of transfer business that we have done during the last 50 years!!

• Like 1

If he does end up at Spurs I think he will do very well there under Poch. I will certainly keep a keen eye on him and Spurs, as I love Grealish and Harry Kane is my favourite player around right now. They could link up superbly. That Eriksen fella isn’t too bad either is he?!

FGS how did this happen, we were neck and neck with them not too long ago ??

9 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

You’re gonna get slaughtered for that.  FWIW, his one-on-one ability is obvious and impressive, but his team contribution has never been as clear.  For his sake (and some supporters here) I hope wherever he goes turns into the player they already see.  

Not really has hasnt realky dine much at premier league level yet. Spurzzz will either make him a star or he will end up as another ovee hyped youngster 

Time will tell.

39 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Spurzzz will either make him a star or he will end up as another ovee hyped youngster 

Time will tell.

I'd have agreed before last season. I think the influence of Terry and Bruce plus the bulking up physically has transformed him. I can't see him becoming another promising youngster who moves to a top 6 club, spends two years on the bench and ends up with a mediocre career at Stoke or Hull. Personally I think he's going to be an absolute superstar. It's an absolute gut-wrenching shame that it won't be for Villa.

10 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Worse for me because Barry wanted to go even though we were potentially on the cusp of something good.

The club has fallen down around Grealish, and he'd be sat on the Holte every week if he wasn't a footballer.

Absolutely.  One thing to have a player wanting to move on to "better things", quite another having your brightest talent and lifelong Villa fan being, essentially, pushed out of the club because it's been run so appallingly.

I can only hope Grealish goes on to a club where he plays first team football.  It would be even more galling to watch him move somewhere and sit on the bench.  The kid is a class act.  Spurs, in theory, would suit him with the way the team plays. 

Meh.  Just such a shit situation :(

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, MrDuck said:

I'd have agreed before last season. I think the influence of Terry and Bruce plus the bulking up physically has transformed him. I can't see him becoming another promising youngster who moves to a top 6 club, spends two years on the bench and ends up with a mediocre career at Stoke or Hull. Personally I think he's going to be an absolute superstar. It's an absolute gut-wrenching shame that it won't be for Villa.

Thing is mrduck its at a much lower level. Spurzzz will be playing at a much higher level than us esp in the champions league.

If he makes it spurzzz he will be a super star no doubt about it. I'm not sure how he will do to be honest.

Â