The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

Erm, Tottingham will be selling one of their own quite soon - yer know that chap at the world cup about to win the golden boot? He will be sold, he will not stay. As gutted as I am about Grealish, even if you're in the top 4 of the prem you lose your best players. We move forwards without Jack but also thanks to his fee. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Losing him will be the biggest disappointment I've experienced while I've been a supporter.

We've seen some tripe in the last decade or so, nothing has shone quite as bright as Grealish coming of age.

And thanks to Dr Phoney we’re having to sell Jack just to keep afloat. 

That in itself is enough to judge our clown of an owner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Erm, Tottingham will be selling one of their own quite soon - yer know that chap at the world cup about to win the golden boot? He will be sold, he will not stay. As gutted as I am about Grealish, even if you're in the top 4 of the prem you lose your best players. We move forwards without Jack but also thanks to his fee. 

Amazing. 

6 hours ago, villa4europe said:

who's to say we haven't? 

well we have no CEO, director of football and an AWOL owner

at most Bruce can offer him half his salary and first option on Jaffa Cakes at half time

26 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Yes thats a very good comparison. Situations are so similar

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

That doesn't make it any less disappointing. I am not the most sentimental person when it comes to footballers, even though I believe there should be more incentive for a broader spectrum of clubs that can attract the best talent in the world. Barcelona, Madrid and maybe Bayern having the sort of pull that they have does not raise the standard of the game and culture. England has a more balanced setup and I'm glad that I don't mention any English club as an entity that can pluck any player they want from any team they want, much more often than not, like the Spanish giants do. They've a monopoly on things and while perhaps not a hindrance to the game, doesn't inspire the  best competition. So I see it as a practicality for lack of a better expression.

I can't help but be a little bit sad about Grealish's departure though, he's such a fine emerging talent. Some of his runs, passes and near misses, on numerous occasion, were world class. Then there was that volley. Make no mistake about it he has the potential to be a game changer at the highest level does he stay on track.

I never had such high hopes for Benteke or Young or Delph. Then add to the mix Jack is a Villa boy and the mismanagement surrounding his departure. It's all a bit dull and unfortunate. I'm all for turning a negative to a positive, but the fee he will command is inconsequential to me, I am not an owner or a CEO, I am a supporter and fan, of football, what Jack does, not money.

Edited by A'Villan
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Being a selling club is fine, when you sell players and reinvest to try and improve. 

We are selling a once in a generation academy product to balance the books. 

Its a **** disgrace and should never be forgotten while bruce and xia remain

Agree. Reminds me of using the proceeds of North Sea Oil in the eighties to keep 3,000,000people on the dole.

Its an awful waste, negligent at best.

However, I would say that Jack has only really developed into such a saleable asset under Bruce.  Previously it was 90% potential. Now he at least has a better cv. I don’t say that to defend anybody, just as an observation.

Also, whilst I think he is a very gifted player, who could reach the very top, it is a truism that our best players always move on, so whilst the cause ( and benefits) are different, the outcome isn’t. 

Jack leaving would be a shame, but no more, in truth. New players always come along.

Pales into insignificance compared to the abyss the Club could fall into.

• Like 3

On 05/07/2018 at 21:41, DCJonah said:

Bruce's fault we are still in this league and needing to sell.

How do you know we wouldn’t still be having to sell if we were promoted, given Xia’s chaotic financial management?

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, terrytini said:

Agree. Reminds me of using the proceeds of North Sea Oil in the eighties to keep 3,000,000people on the dole.

Its an awful waste, negligent at best.

However, I would say that Jack has only really developed into such a saleable asset under Bruce.  Previously it was 90% potential. Now he at least has a better cv. I don’t say that to defend anybody, just as an observation.

Also, whilst I think he is a very gifted player, who could reach the very top, it is a truism that our best players always move on, so whilst the cause ( and benefits) are different, the outcome isn’t. 

Jack leaving would be a shame, but no more, in truth. New players always come along.

Pales into insignificance compared to the abyss the Club could fall into.

When was the last time Villa had a player that was worth 100million in todays market?

That 90% potential is still only just being tapped in to, he has a long way to go to be worth 100million, but I think he's on track.

Look at his shots, they're often a threat and either a near miss or forcing a save, his runs and weight of pass are so impressive. There was that volley too.

Not too far off Coutinho's highlight reel, except Coutinho is much faster with better ball control. Able to do it on the European stage where Jack has only surmounted the championship.  A big distinction at this stage, but Grealish is not yet the finished article.

I understand your point about the club being priority though. The club won't get right without a decent football team on the pitch. That's the most fundamental thing there is here, it's players like Jack who attract the crowds which cteates the jobs around the place. You don't have a football club without the football.

I'm a bit disillusioned with the club over Grealish's departure, management in general, so maybe I'm a bit moody at the moment.

• Like 1

Jack is a good player, but if he wasn't a Villa fan I think many would take 30-40 million for him. He has had one good season and that was the last one, and he was missing for a dozen or so games in that. Prior to this last season, he had flattered to deceive with only a few exceptional games under his belt.

It will be more difficult to take because as others are saying, we are selling because of the mess we are in and not because we want it to happen. If he does go, he will be missed but I'm hoping we have some good youngsters coming through who will take his place.

Let's see if the press are right this time about him going because it seems they have made up more than a few stories about the potential sale of the club and the offers we have received. 

I hope he stays, but if not, we move on and find someone else to fill his spot.

6 hours ago, Robbie09 said:

And thanks to Dr Phoney we’re having to sell Jack just to keep afloat.

We will also be likely to be selling him for a fraction of his actual worth. When he and our other saleable playing assets have been sold what will we be left with to put on the pitch and to sell the next time we need quick cash to stay afloat? This is a temporary fix only and one that is painful as well as embarrassing for us to accept.

9 hours ago, Jareth said:

You do realise he's just signed a 6 year contract right?

10 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

You do realise he's just signed a 6 year contract right?

Tottingham won’t keep hold of him when push comes to shove, they’ll just get a lot more money for him. 

• Like 1

There is no doubt he is going and regardless of the financial mess he may well have gone anyway. It is now all about trying to get the best deal we can for him. I know he has great potential but I think expecting to get 40 mill will be wishful thinking. I'd hope we can get 20-25 mill and a clause for a percentage of any future sell on fee or further payments based on him realising his potential and playing for England etc.

It hurts that he is gong but maybe it is down to the amount of time I have been following the club but I have become used to players going, either due to them wanting to leave or necessity, and almost become immune to the disappointment. We may not see a players of Jacks ilk for a long time but one will come along eventually.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, A'Villan said:

When was the last time Villa had a player that was worth 100million in todays market?

That 90% potential is still only just being tapped in to, he has a long way to go to be worth 100million, but I think he's on track.

Look at his shots, they're often a threat and either a near miss or forcing a save, his runs and weight of pass are so impressive. There was that volley too.

Not too far off Coutinho's highlight reel, except Coutinho is much faster with better ball control. Able to do it on the European stage where Jack has only surmounted the championship.  A big distinction at this stage, but Grealish is not yet the finished article.

I understand your point about the club being priority though. The club won't get right without a decent football team on the pitch. That's the most fundamental thing there is here, it's players like Jack who attract the crowds which cteates the jobs around the place. You don't have a football club without the football.

I'm a bit disillusioned with the club over Grealish's departure, management in general, so maybe I'm a bit moody at the moment.

Grealish has got fantastic ball control. Not the quickest (an overrated attribute at times imo, skill over speed in my book) and his shot could be better (although it has improved).

He’s only going to get better and will be a huge loss if he goes (still holding onto hope that he will somehow stay). He really is and is going to be quite some player.

I don’t see many players nowadays with the (natural?) ability to carry the ball up the field with ease.

Hazard did so well against Brazil yesterday...

I actually think the individual skill and talent of players has declined within the last couple of decades and been replaced with superior fitness and athleticism instead.

• Like 2

£20-25mil, a percentage of any future sales and i would take a couple of players off them on loan with wages paid. Players that will help the first team in positions that won't push our star youngsters out.

• Like 3

I really fear that we don’t have much bargaining power or nous atm, hope I am completely wrong...

Please stay Jack...be a stubborn git and refuse to leave your boyhood club ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daggy_333 said:

£20-25mil, a percentage of any future sales and i would take a couple of players off them on loan with wages paid. Players that will help the first team in positions that won't push our star youngsters out.

That’d be a good deal.

Im afraid I don’t think we will achieve it, or anything close.

I certainly can’t see any scenario where we get players good enough for the first team on loan.

I hope I’m wrong, but my guess is a few weeks of murkiness until the transfer window is set to close, then a fire sale where we will see most of our first 16 leave on, for us, poor deals. If you were any other Club in the Top 2 Leagues you’d be licking your lips. Our best hope will be a bit of an auction over one or two. I only hope Bruce gets the peripheral and young players engaged into pre season as much as possible.

Once those players have gone it will just be a question of what else there is to mortgage to sort any bills for however long we can. Then either Administration or a bargain basement sale of the Club, hopefully to a benevolent buyer.

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

I really fear that we don’t have much bargaining power or nous atm, hope I am completely wrong...

Please stay Jack...be a stubborn git and refuse to leave your boyhood club ?

It’s an option of course. If he refused to leave it might even hasten Xias exit as it means a shorter period of survival/ asset stripping.

Because for sure, if he goes, the money won’t help us at all.

I doubt anyone close to him will advise it though.

• Like 2

Â