Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 21/03/2018 at 01:39, A'Villan said:

^This disheartens me as a football enthusiast. That people need to look at a stats sheet in order to quantify someone's quality.

You watch the game, you should see someones (Grealish's) contributions.

Of course stats don't tell you everything, but they do tell you something, perhaps not 'quality' as such, but certainly more relevant to effectiveness.

The obvious elephant in the room is that he has only got one goal this season, even though he has got a good shot on him and has been getting into scoring positions. He should be capable of getting close to double figures in a full season in the Championship, so to only have a single goal is disappointing and an area that he should certainly look to improve on.

I don't judge him just on statistics and I'm not having a dig at him, I think he is a good player with scope for improvement. People may think it is valid to disregard key stats for whatever reason, but if he continues to improve as a player those stats will also improve, so they probably do offer some reflection of his contribution. 

If he is going to move his game up a level, there does indeed need to be more end product from him. People may have different views on exactly what that means, but at the end of the day the only stats that matter are the number of goals for and against your team. He will always catch the eye, but if he isn't creating chances, directly or indirectly, then he isn't really performing the role effectively.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, poitier said:

Of course stats don't tell you everything, but they do tell you something, perhaps not 'quality' as such, but certainly more relevant to effectiveness.

The obvious elephant in the room is that he has only got one goal this season, even though he has got a good shot on him and has been getting into scoring positions. He should be capable of getting close to double figures in a full season in the Championship, so to only have a single goal is disappointing and an area that he should certainly look to improve on.

I don't judge him just on statistics and I'm not having a dig at him, I think he is a good player with scope for improvement. People may think it is valid to disregard key stats for whatever reason, but if he continues to improve as a player those stats will also improve, so they probably do offer some reflection of his contribution. 

If he is going to move his game up a level, there does indeed need to be more end product from him. People may have different views on exactly what that means, but at the end of the day the only stats that matter are the number of goals for and against your team. He will always catch the eye, but if he isn't creating chances, directly or indirectly, then he isn't really performing the role effectively.

Well spoken, poitier, and I agree.

The one thing I would mention though that he is involved in creating chances, quite heavily. His through balls are sublime at this level and he has put through Adomah in particular on countless occasions, who has scored a bucketload for his position.

If near misses were counted then Jack would hit double digits this season. That said, I agree, if they aren't going in there is reason to say he could and should improve.

I honestly believe, at this level, Jack could be having a Lampard-esque impact on the score board, and you never know, Jack could still hit double figures this season, even by his current form and standards, he's been so close on numerous occasions, and that's exactly why we're in agreeance when we say he has a shot on him.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, bobzy said:

See: Emile Heskey

I have been around long enough to have witnessed Heskey play for us, and can safely say, I have absolutely no idea how he is relevant to a discussion on quality or contribution, whether by the stat sheet or what the naked eye percieves.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, poitier said:

Of course stats don't tell you everything, but they do tell you something, perhaps not 'quality' as such, but certainly more relevant to effectiveness.

The obvious elephant in the room is that he has only got one goal this season, even though he has got a good shot on him and has been getting into scoring positions. He should be capable of getting close to double figures in a full season in the Championship, so to only have a single goal is disappointing and an area that he should certainly look to improve on.

I don't judge him just on statistics and I'm not having a dig at him, I think he is a good player with scope for improvement. People may think it is valid to disregard key stats for whatever reason, but if he continues to improve as a player those stats will also improve, so they probably do offer some reflection of his contribution. 

If he is going to move his game up a level, there does indeed need to be more end product from him. People may have different views on exactly what that means, but at the end of the day the only stats that matter are the number of goals for and against your team. He will always catch the eye, but if he isn't creating chances, directly or indirectly, then he isn't really performing the role effectively.

Well put sir. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair, he definitely is creating chances indirectly, and his game is increasingly influential in helping us dominate matches (unlike say, Ozil, who creates loads of chances but is often otherwise peripheral). 

Ultimately though the very best players in his position will also influence games with goals and assists too and if he aspires to that level, which he should, he does have room for improvement here. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, PatrickCousens said:

To be fair, he definitely is creating chances indirectly, and his game is increasingly influential in helping us dominate matches (unlike say, Ozil, who creates loads of chances but is often otherwise peripheral). 

Ultimately though the very best players in his position will also influence games with goals and assists too and if he aspires to that level, which he should, he does have room for improvement here. 

I agree. Once he has a team around him as good as he is, all that will come.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

Agreed don’t see what people see in him, all I see is him rolling around when gets a kick

Sloppy in possession, dives, gives the ball away and keeps attempting long range worldies when he could be slipping people in. 

85% poser 15% footballer 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's amazing how quick people's opinions can change. We don't do ourselves any favours by hyping him up so much, he's decent and got potential but half the stuff he does is pointless. He'll dribble past 3 whilst going backwards rather than just pass it back out wide. His shooting is also terrible. Hopefully he gets himself back to what we know he can do because today was absolutely shocking! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought he had did okay. Adomah should have scored off Grealish's pass, and he did start some attacks that we couldn't finish. I think if Adomah took his chances today, we'd be saying Grealish had a good match. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

He looked good when either Adomah, Snodgrass or even Hogan were moving into space ahead of him. Hogan has been dropped, Adomah seems to be a shadow of what he was. Snodgrass is constantly trying to do too much, taking one touch too many and taking too long to get a cross in.

Aside from occasional hold up play, Grabban wins nothing in the box, Hogan maybe half his size but at least he seems capable of getting onto a cross.

But back to Grealish he is still by far one of our best players.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, benireduk said:

Seems more interested in moaning at referees to get opponents booked at the moment. 

Need the Jack who was instrumental v Wolves back asap

Agreed , when jack plays well we are a far better team - however it’s time for others to up their game too - there were several below  par 

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Agreed , when jack plays well we are a far better team - however it’s time for others to up their game too - there were several below  par 

Agree, just shows how important he is. If he plays well we play well, if he doesnt we don't. There is no one else we rely on so much

Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, the problem was the two behind Jack. Jedi and Lansbury are both lacking in energy and mobility. When the ball was moved to Jack effectively, he made a difference. He set Albert up for two sitters in the first half but Albert was fast asleep on both occasions. 

Considering Lansbury was effectively playing to show his worth, I thought his performance was disgraceful. No urgency whatsoever. Why Bruce signed him I will never know

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â