The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

On ‎07‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 22:43, villa4europe said:

Agree you need a long run in a consistent formation and position, he hasn't had that, what does dropping him for away games do for his confidence? 

If he was good enough he would be in the team. Realistically if he's not a first team regular by the end of next season he's not going to make it at Villa. The clock is ticking.

Too be honest I'd forgot he'd been injured when I posted. I'm not advocating selling him as I still think there is a good player there. Just think Bruce doesn't favour him. Think he could do well with hourihane and Lansbury.

If we're playing 2/3 in the middle and it's him or Hourihane, which is a no-contest at present and likely to be so for the foreseeable future. 

If it's him or Amavi on the left then in a 4-4-2 you need more discipline than Jack can offer. 

His only viable position as things stand is left of a 3 up front and I expect to see Kodjia and Hogan up front vs Norwich. Tough time for Jack ahead, needs to knuckle down and take the chance when it comes. 

5 hours ago, KSV said:

the one game against Liverpool? He hasnt proven anything yet. I have seen Green play better than him already. 

Pretty much every game of the final spell of that season. 

Green has never performed at premier league level or in a game like an fa cup final. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Green has never performed at premier league level or in a game like an fa cup final. 

Think it's a stretch to say Grealish has proven himself at a higher level.  It's like saying Andreas Weimann has because he played some blinders at some point.

He's wildly inconsistent and I have no idea what his best position is.  Andre Green has been consistent in a clear role.  At the moment, I know which player I'd rather have in the team and it's not the one I thought could be a star for us at the start of the season.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Think it's a stretch to say Grealish has proven himself at a higher level.  It's like saying Andreas Weimann has because he played some blinders at some point.

He's wildly inconsistent and I have no idea what his best position is.  Andre Green has been consistent in a clear role.  At the moment, I know which player I'd rather have in the team and it's not the one I thought could be a star for us at the start of the season.

I'm not trying to turn it into a grealish V green competition. Andre Green is currently the player in form and like you say has a defined role. 

Weimman had some moments but grealish was the best player on the pitch in several games. 

I think he's shown he can play at that level, wether he gets back to that is down to him and where he can get into the team. 

It will be tough for him but also i think the fact he's not being asked to be the saviour will benefit him. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

To be fair through if green was given as many chances as grealish has I think he would have done more Tegan he has tbf.

albrighton showed a hell of a lot mire than grealish did in my view. Give he alby over grealish anyway 

• Like 1

On 2/15/2017 at 20:58, Harry said:

My point was more about the fact he not really as good a player as many think he is rather than how he plays in any game.  Over the years all the evidence suggests that our academy isn't that good at producing premiership or perhaps even championship grade players. 

Our academy, seems to produce players that have bits of something......and if you are the type of fan to be attracted to that" bit of something" the player will be rated by that fan.

we rarely produce, complete players of late.

Edited by TRO

I think it is too early to write Jack off.....but my main concern is over his character.

He has much work to do IMO and evolving from a boy to a man, might be one of them.

Jack is still learning his trade, but many younger players than Jack were showing signs of maturity and manly qualities.

Gary Shaw, Brian Little, Andy Gray, Sid Cowans,John Deehan, Gareth Barry, just to name a few.

He has to man up.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Green is 18 years old, hence why he hasn't had those opportunities yet.

Grealish has a lot to prove at this stage sure, but I don't agree with writing him off yet. Even at 21 he's basically still a youth and has shown enough in fits and starts to be given time to show more. 

Why can't we have them both? Back them both. 

Indeed I agree. I would love to back both but for me like I have said on numerous occasions grealish for me has for 3 seasons now had trouble consistently performing to a great level. I thought he would tear this league up but sadly hasn't happened.

Prove me wrong jack

19 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

How many chances has he been given really? He properly broke into the team at the arse end of the 14/15 season and played around 12 games and had a positive impact in a number of them contributing to us staying up and reaching the cup final.

At the start of one of the worst seasons in the history of the club he was 19 years old. During that season the senior role models at the club were a disgrace and he played under 4 managers ( two permanent).

This season he has played under a couple of managers both of whom for differing reasons for much of their time had been trying to find a consistent line up and formation. Grealish has been moved around the pitch playing in a three in the middle, out wide or just behind a lone striker. He got suspended for three games (his fault) and has also had spells of being out injured.

He has been a fixture in the first team squad for two years now. During that time there he has had no consistency. Numerous managers, numerous coaching staff, numerous players alongside him and been played in numerous positions. I am not excusing his off field behaviour by the way as he has been a pratt at times, but we have hardly provided an environment for a young player to develop.

I think we need to take a step back with Grealish and allow him time to develop in hopefully a stable club that is striving to better itself, that is winning games and that has some positive role models for him to look up to. It is then up to him to grasp that opportunity. If he does embrace it and knuckles down, works hard then I am confident that his natural ability will see him force his way into the side.

I think there is a lot of excuses there I am afraid to say mark. It was the same situation for a lot of younger players.

the last paragraph I am willing to agrer with. He has brucey who has backed him 100% this season so I expect him now to deliver the goods. No more hiding start delivering consistently

As I said in the Jedi thread I've no idea how we work wit individual player training behind the scenes.

But with Grealish It is (to me anyway) pretty obvious that he lacks a bit of pace and directness to be a good winger and that he is a bit too pedestrian with the ball in possession to be really functional as a ACM.

Both of these things can be worked on to an extent and I really hope we do, because does have talent.

Be a shame if he/we wasted it.

17 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I'm not trying to turn it into a grealish V green competition. Andre Green is currently the player in form and like you say has a defined role. 

Weimman had some moments but grealish was the best player on the pitch in several games. 

I think he's shown he can play at that level, wether he gets back to that is down to him and where he can get into the team. 

It will be tough for him but also i think the fact he's not being asked to be the saviour will benefit him. 

Agreed. Grealish and Weimann have had good runs in the Premier League. They've probably had more good Premier League performance than Green has had games. 

On 20/03/2017 at 18:04, bobzy said:

I agree. It seems when Grealish starts as a wide player he comes into the middle, but when he starts as as attacking midfielder role he often drifts out wide. In fairness he has started his Villa career in quite possible the worst moment in the last 40 years and he has already been through 5 full time managers in less than 3 years. But I did think he would make much more of an impact this season given his huge potential and the fact Villa have dropped down a division- though he has often become the marked man in the matches he does start. Very much a curate's egg so far. 

Â