The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

20 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

I wonder is it worth trying him out on the right wing. He has failed to impose himself as a number 10, on the left wing he slows play up too much by cutting in unnecessarily and turning back too much. Put him out on the right, instruct him to put a shift in and tell whenever he creates a yard of space in the opponents 3rd to put a quality ball in. Encourage him to play through balls for Hogan and Kodjia when further out. Adomah could be used as impact sub if chasing the game.

On another note I reckon Jack is not happy with Bruce in charge. So far in his career his performances have been poor when he was unhappy with manager. Petulant I now but he has played well under Shaun Derry and Sherwood when he had a close relationship with both. He could come good with the next one. Green is still a better prospect at the moment though.

He just does not strike me as a winger at all. It's hard to say what his position should be. I'd be tempted to give him a longer run as a proper number 10 and see what he can do. 

From what I've seen of him so far it seems that he prefers to play on the left with the view of cutting inside. This way he will not get closed down as quickly (picking up the ball on the left vs centrally) and can run with the ball more and then try to create. The problem is that he has been found out at this level somewhat when he does that, and doesn't appear to have the stones to step up and raise his game above the shite around him. 

I've always been a big advocate of him but am increasingly unsure about his upside and to be honest, starting to not really care, such is my malaise with this club right now. 

22 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He just does not strike me as a winger at all. It's hard to say what his position should be. I'd be tempted to give him a longer run as a proper number 10 and see what he can do. 

From what I've seen of him so far it seems that he prefers to play on the left with the view of cutting inside. This way he will not get closed down as quickly (picking up the ball on the left vs centrally) and can run with the ball more and then try to create. The problem is that he has been found out at this level somewhat when he does that, and doesn't appear to have the stones to step up and raise his game above the shite around him. 

I've always been a big advocate of him but am increasingly unsure about his upside and to be honest, starting to not really care, such is my malaise with this club right now. 

He's nowhere near quick enough to be a winger, in fact he slows down all of our attacking play by needing too many touches. As for cutting inside, that would be great if he had any sort of shot on him, apart from trying to curl it inside the far post. With his lack of work rate and powderpuff tackling it's hard to see where he could fit in a modern midfield. 

I'm afraid like you, I'm running out of excuses and the will to think up any new ones for him.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Generally those at the top have a great work ethic too. Apparently they have to drag Ronaldo off the training ground everyday and do you ever hear anything about Messi going out on the pop? I hope your lad enjoys his football at what ever level he reaches. Hopefully lifts the European Cup as Villa captain :D

I think they probably struggle dragging Ronaldo away from the changing room mirror everyday too.  Incredibly talented but, **** me, there's a player who cares absolutely not at all about "the team".  Work ethic for himself, though?  Probably the best in the World.

22 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I think they probably struggle dragging Ronaldo away from the changing room mirror everyday too.  Incredibly talented but, **** me, there's a player who cares absolutely not at all about "the team".  Work ethic for himself, though?  Probably the best in the World.

I don't particularly like the fella, but he works hard for what ever his reasons are, despite being very talented. Something our lot could do a lot more of. 

26 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Think that's harsh. Especially when you look back at the euros. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

With Green out tomorrow I think Grealish has to come in for him and be given a chance to impress again. 

If he can reprise this I have no problem with that.

• Like 1

His career is coming to a crossroads I think. Still young but he's been involved for 2 and a bit seasons and still can't establish himself.

I really thought he'd rip it up in the league this season. He started off the season well enough but since xmas his form has dipped massively and he's drifting in and out of games at this level which is a worry. At prem level you could understand it.

Can't say SB hasn't given him chances...he's started plenty of games this season.

If anyone has seen the Villa view interviews with John Gregory then JG makes a really good point when comparing Hendrie to Jack...he said you always need Hendrie was in the game while Jack drifts in and out of them for spells.

• Like 4

He's been thrown a bone through circumstances. If he can't do it tomorrow against the bottom team in the championship I think he can forget about a top flight stellar career. 

On reflection of some of the comments on here I think this. 

Jack needs to take his mind set back a couple of years. Needs to be more ballsy and certainly needs to play with more instinct and raw enthusiasm. 

He is currently too laboured, trying to be clever and thinking too much. 

Just keep having a go Jack and to hell with it. Yes you will lose the ball sometimes but if you are going hell for leather at it you will lose it a fee times whilst also doing dangerous stuff. 

As soon as you start slowing down, thinking about what to do..... It's all over. . It's a problem a lot of young exiting players face and most become lost, leading to a lower league career. 

The top players keep that bit of danger and exiting unpredictability about them and harness it often creating an aura which leads to defender backing off them ironically making it easier for them to strut their stuff. 

Jack definitely has something but he's not managing to bring it out enough. 

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

His career is coming to a crossroads I think. Still young but he's been involved for 2 and a bit seasons and still can't establish himself.

in fairness it hasnt helped that he has had 6 managers in that time and only 1 seemed to have faith in him. Bruce might still rate him but he seems reluctant to use him in some games

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Zatman said:

in fairness it hasnt helped that he has had 6 managers in that time and only 1 seemed to have faith in him. Bruce might still rate him but he seems reluctant to use him in some games

Away from home which I can fully understand.

He's started most home games up to the last two and with Ayew gone he should be the shoe in for the link between midfield and attack role.

Â