The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

That's one hypothesis. The other is that it wasn't a yellow, which is what I was getting at. Referee's shouldn't be making a game changing judgement based on what they think might have been going through the players head at the time, but it seems to be the only thing they do judge decisions on at this level. 

If it was the other way round and it was one of theirs on the receiving end I still would have said it was harsh FWIW.

I'm not sure how you can see it as anything other than a cynical foul to deliberately stop an attack. 

That's clearly how the ref saw it. I agree with him. As soon as the whistle went I exclaimed "he's off"

People only have to look at the likes of Barkley and Martial to see that young players' form can be very hot or cold. (And before anyway says, no im clearly not comparing their abilities). Grealish has a lot of natural ability, and hopefully he can develop and become a very good player for us. He is still only 21, playing in a haphazard side fighting for results the last couple of years.

• Like 3

He's 21 been playing football since he was young enough to stand and swing a leg, a large number of his years as footballer he has been part of a professional club structure of training and coaching he should be able to have a far greater influence on matches than he does in the second tier of English football. He may be skilful and tricky but can he influence a game on a regular basis? Sadly I don't think this is ever going to happen.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Another Lee Hendrie. I'd take that. Around 300 games for us in some very good Villa sides.

Grealish is a real talent for me who has been a pratt but also not helped by having had six managers in the couple of years since he became a regular in the squad. He also happened to come into the squad just before the club went through one of its worst ever seasons. What young player would thrive in that environment.

I think this season he has been much like the squad as a whole and inconsistent. He has had a few good games where he made a positive impact be it a goal, an assistant, getting a penalty and he has had a number of games where he has been anonymous. This season again though we have had two managers, constant chopping and changing of the team and formation and he himself has been played out wide then in the middle. There has been no consistency.

He is an easy player to single out as he is really talented and it is frustrating to not see him produce more at times. He isn't alone in that though as almost all the squad could be accused of some very poor performances. I am still willing to cut him some slack and think in a settled side playing with some confidence, again something he has rarely experienced aside from a coupe of months under Sherwood, I think he can still be a big player for us.

I admire your optimism, but find it difficult to share on this occasion.

I was never a fan of Lee Hendrie, despite our better times......another fart in a colander for me.I'm not sure the 300 games is a testimonial to his ability or a slight on the club. I guess that depends on the opinion of him.

I sincerely hope you are right about Jack and I want to be wrong......but I look at the desire and determination from someone like Jamie Ward, who we had and wonder if we are getting all this right.

On 2/7/2017 at 21:03, Stevo985 said:

I'm not sure how you can see it as anything other than a cynical foul to deliberately stop an attack. 

That's clearly how the ref saw it. I agree with him. As soon as the whistle went I exclaimed "he's off"

Because it looks like a classic forwards challenge to me. "I can nick the bal... oh ****"

The second booking I think we can all agree was one of those, "seen them given, seem them not given". Hard to argue with what ever the decision the ref makes. It was the first booking that was harsh, how many times do we see a booking for kicking the ball away in the first half? Very rarely I would suggest and he didn't really hoof it into row Z. Ok if it was late in the second half in a tight match then that's fair enough. Rules are rules you may say, but refs are so inconsistent that isn't how it plays out and to be fair the ref has some discretion and can take into account the state of play at the time. What would we be gaining from wasting time in the 30th minute or when ever it was?

We're only really debating this because it's Jack Grealish, who many of us feel frustrated with and because the rest of the team are causing equal frustrations. Hopefully in a few weeks time we will only be arguing about who scored the best goal in our latest 4 goal hammering of someone who dared to stand in our way :) 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

The second booking I think we can all agree was one of those, "seen them given, seem them not given". Hard to argue with what ever the decision the ref makes. It was the first booking that was harsh, how many times do we see a booking for kicking the ball away in the first half? Very rarely I would suggest and he didn't really hoof it into row Z. Ok if it was late in the second half in a tight match then that's fair enough. Rules are rules you may say, but refs are so inconsistent that isn't how it plays out and to be fair the ref has some discretion and can take into account the state of play at the time. What would we be gaining from wasting time in the 30th minute or when ever it was?

The fact is it was a completely unnecessary booking, the majority of the time if you kick the ball away you will get a card.

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Another player who will probably have a decent career, it just won't be at Villa.

Ship him out in the summer I say.

No way, we should be looking to get the best out of him not looking at some other club getting the best out of him.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wilko154 said:

The fact is it was a completely unnecessary booking, the majority of the time if you kick the ball away you will get a card.

That's where I disagree, you'll see that happen 10 times at villa park on Saturday without a card given

youll also see thors foul get a yellow card 9/10 times

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That's where I disagree, you'll see that happen 10 times at villa park on Saturday without a card given

youll also see thors foul get a yellow card 9/10 times

Agreed. I moan all the time about the ball being kicked away and nothing given. At least not until the 10th time it happens and in the 89th minute.

While I'm on my soap box, it drives me mad when goal keepers waste time for virtually the whole of the second half and then get booked in injury time. Damage done, they'll take that. Book them with 30 minutes to go and see how long they take picking the right blade of grass to put the ball on!

Off topic sorry. 

7 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Agreed. I moan all the time about the ball being kicked away and nothing given. At least not until the 10th time it happens and in the 89th minute.

While I'm on my soap box, it drives me mad when goal keepers waste time for virtually the whole of the second half and then get booked in injury time. Damage done, they'll take that. Book them with 30 minutes to go and see how long they take picking the right blade of grass to put the ball on!

Off topic sorry. 

Yep, six second rule is still valid right? If they actually enforced it then it woudl change the game as much as no back pass IMO.

Callum Robinson has 6 goals and 2 assists. We let the wrong local lad go. If he was good he would make at least a similar impact to Callum who was not rated enough and let go. Obviously they are in different positions but Jack just does not influence enough games. 

• Like 1

Â