The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

1 hour ago, StanBalaban said:

It undoubtedly must have an effect on a player, especially for a player like Jack that largely has the experience of just Villa fans (from a club perspective) following his social media accounts.

Whilst I've little doubt that fans of all clubs would react largely in the same way, it doesn't necessarily mean that Grealish would see it that way. He may think it's a characteristic of Villa fans only.

Having said that, one could argue that having public social media accounts is always likely to yield such results. 

One certainly could. 

I keep praying the fad/trend (delete as applicable) will end, but no sign yet. 

Given how young the England squad is, and how much promise Jack has shown (albeit not this season particularly) I think he should be thinking of this Euro squad as a massive opportunity missed. If he'd performed out of his skin last season, he might've got a call up to the senior squad... I know not every player wants that but given that he opted for England presumably he's interested. Might be a good kick up the arse for him.

2 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Given how young the England squad is, and how much promise Jack has shown (albeit not this season particularly) I think he should be thinking of this Euro squad as a massive opportunity missed. If he'd performed out of his skin last season, he might've got a call up to the senior squad... I know not every player wants that but given that he opted for England presumably he's interested. Might be a good kick up the arse for him.

Jack plays for the wrong team, playing out of his skin or not, Woy would never have chosen him.

Just now, sexbelowsound said:

Jack plays for the wrong team, playing out of his skin or not, Woy would never have chosen him.

You might be right. Delph got his England call up for us though, and in a year when we weren't playing particularly well. I know what you mean though, there is a lot of top 5 favouritism. 

3 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

You might be right. Delph got his England call up for us though, and in a year when we weren't playing particularly well. I know what you mean though, there is a lot of top 5 favouritism. 

Delph is far more established than Jack but I take your point.

• Like 1

I agree about the heavy favouritism to the sky 5. I just think that it should be something to aspire to for Jack, to try and make it impossible to refuse him... Especially when youth is the order of the day. I totally agree about the 'wrong club' thing though. 

I may be showing my naivety here but doesn't Jack have a contract with us?  Can't we just say no - assuming RDM wants him and Tony is not fussed about the money? 

I would like us to take a harder line with some of our contracted players - if we keep selling we will get nowhere. If it is OK for non-performing players to stay here for years when they are not wanted (because they have a contract) - surely it has to work both ways. You signed the contract, tough.

Edited by Gary Thomas

42 minutes ago, BOF said:

When Wilshere gets in over Drinkwater, that tells you all you need to know about Woy.

But Arsenal play football the "Right" way as oppose to every other team who assumedly are playing football incorrectly. I'm certain the premier league will soon acknowledge their grevious error and award Arsenal the title and Jack Wilshere player of the year.

I suspect Jack might be one player that will benefit from Di Matteo's arrival as he would be more in touch with the "modern" footballer. 

Edited by villa89

3 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

Jack's posted this picture on his Instagram account, and Twitter peeps are speculating that it's a farewell pic.

CkgUKHiXAAAON78.jpg

If I saw this, I wouldn't get a farewell vibe from it. Just seems like another picture to me. Could honestly be he is excited to wear the shirt again. 

Has to stay for me. Still a lot to prove for him and a promotion push in the Championship will do him good.

Wouldn't read too much into an Instagram picture but that's the cryptic nature of social media I guess. 

I'd be telling Grealish like "I know the Championship isn't where you want to be. You know you are a lot better than where we find ourselves. You've seen the press reports that other clubs also think you're too good for Villa's current predicament, but stick around and after next season we will be back where we belong. If not then we will talk about your future here"

I think just talking to players and giving them a time frame can help. Let them know that they are wanted and needed but that they aren't trapped here. Grealish right now likely thanks to his agent will be hearing that chatter in his ear to bail out, but he may find that a season in the Championship especially if it's a promotion winning season could benefit him even more long term.

Players need to realise that yes their careers are short but they aren't that short. Just look at Vardy he likely considered where he was in football to be as good as it was going to get. He was like 26 when he made his move to Leicester which was likely as high as he thought he would ever go, now he's won the Premier League at 29 and is now fending off Arsenal for his signature. Grealish is 20 he can take one season in the Championship out of the next 14+ years of what could be a very successful footballing career.

Edited by Daweii

One of four things will happen to Grealish next season, which will define his career:

HE GETS STRONGER PHYSICALLY DUE TO INCREASED GAME WORKLOAD, AND MATURES FROM THE EXPERIENCE: Becomes an established Premier League winger, and actually gets proper shin pads.

HE GETS STRONGER PHYSICALLY DUE TO INCREASED GAME WORKLOAD, BUT FAILS TO MATURE: Clubs will want him for his skill, yet will be put off by his personality and lack of maturity. A technically weaker Gazza, if you will.

HE GETS INJURY-STRICKEN DUE TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP: He will probably fail to reach the same level of skill he was before, and will become yet another wonderkid who failed to promise and is now sitting down in the lower leagues, wondering what happened to their life.

HE LEAVES THE CLUB: One particular forum called VillaTalk is going to be annoyed.

2 hours ago, BOF said:

When Wilshere gets in over Drinkwater, that tells you all you need to know about Woy.

That he won't just pick an average footballer because their team has won the league?

Fair play, Woy!

• Like 3

Was Drinkwater not influential in them winning the league. That's the impression I get from Leicester fans. For such an amazing contribution I would have thought that he'd deserve a place in the team, over someone who hardly played this season, and I like Wilshere as a footballer when he's fit.

• Like 1

This thread has gone weird. I feel like the tone has moved on to Jack trying to engineer a move away which I can't see any evidence for whatsoever?

He's always seemed vehemently pro Villa from what I can see. He's been a fan all his life, always comes over to applaud the support, does his bit for The Villa community. He's had his growing pains sure and combined with his injuries he's had a very disappointing season, but I've zero fears he will leave or that he wants to. 

I predict he will be our player of the season next year. I predict that's what he wants too. To be a hero of the Holte. I'm still supremely confident he will end up as such, he's got "it". 

Cue RDM turfing him out! :D

• Like 2

I would be staggered if any half decent PL club are him. The little bit of ability he has shown isn't enough to excuse lying pissed up in a gutter. Lets forget about the fact he is one of ours, lets imagine he was playing for someone else, how would we view him? A young kid with a couple of half decent performances (because thats all they were) giving it the billy big bollox, making the front page more often that the back, Nile Ranger anyone? I think he needs to grow up before anyone will take a punt on him

All that said, I would like him stay, i think if he grows up and realises that he is a long, long away from having "made it" he could be a very good player, but i honestly wouldn't be to upset if he did leave, not least because if he really thinks that he has now outgrown us on the back of half hour against sha, it suggests to me that he has literally disappeared up his own arse. 

Â