The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

26 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

This is it though, he wasn't a Leicester fan who liked Mbappe. He was a Mbappe fan who liked Leicester. It's swapped round from what it used to be. 

Isn’t this what individual sports are for?

I have no idea why anyone would have that approach to a team sport. 

2 hours ago, Mr_Dogg said:

He's 9. Don't apply logic.

Missed that bit. Sorry.

Still, though, I idolised Dwight Yorke as a kid. But only because he played for Villa. When he left, I wished Gregory had that gun. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, El Zen said:

Missed that bit. Sorry.

Still, though, I idolised Dwight Yorke as a kid. But only because he played for Villa. When he left, I wished Gregory had that gun. 

The last 30 years have been a big push on the player marketing side. Led by players like Beckham, Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar and now you have Mbappe and Haaland too. They created brands as big as some clubs, bigger in some cases. You can see some of this in how Villa are portrayed in the media now being largely about Gerrard and not the actual club. This and the rise of international fans in new markets like Asia, Africa and America who are more plastic and shift their allegiance. Look how many fans we gained online when Trez or Samatta joined. The games changing and not necessarily for the better. 

On 27/01/2022 at 16:15, Rds1983 said:

Saw my 9 year old nephew at Christmas and he was in a new Leicester shirt. He then told me he supports whatever team Mbappe will play for. Sadly this is the future, it's all about the flashy player and not the actual team anymore. That's why Jack was worth buying for them. 

I guess you didn't have the heart to tell him Mbappe doesn't play for Leicester.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

For all the guff over the ESL it's the one thing Perez and him from juve were right on

They are obviously barking **** mad if they think 12 clubs have a devine right to have those players though 

Thats one of the things that annoyed me most about the ESL. It was the fact that these teams thought they had the right to remain at the top of the tree forever, without any challenge. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

£40m would be the line I think, not bad wedge for someone who'll be in the last year of their contract come the summer and allegedly we haven't been sure about signing up to a new contract before now.

Still hope we don't sell but £40m would be right on the line of where it becomes decent business I think. Hopefully we don't accept regardless.

If it's Newcastle don't accept anything less than £100m

19 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

It's weird, I was fuming when Jack left us in the Summer. Mainly due to the fact that it felt as though he had committed his future to the club with both his contract and his words to the fans; as well as the fact that the it put the club back a few years in it's 'revolution'.

I didn't boo him on his return to Villa Park, but I didn't clap him either. I disliked him, and I wasn't bothered.

Now, I'm actually past it. I can understand why he left; and I'm really pleased how the club have responded to his sale. We've invested well, we're pushing for big signings, we've made a managerial change that's pushing us forward, and it no longer feel's as though Jack's loss has set us back a few years. If Grealish goes onto win the PL this season, then fairplay to him, let's be honest he's a fantastic footballer and he deserves it. He dragged us through the mud to get us where we are today.

I'm not going to be out there singing his praises or begging for him to come back. But I'm also not going to slag him off or make out he's the worst footballer in the country.

Aston Villa is in a great place, and from what I've heard Jack Grealish leaving has helped that, both financially and in the dressing room/training ground.

Great post. The fact is, as a club, we have moved on and are much stronger for it. Onwards and upwards!

38 minutes ago, Xela said:

Thats one of the things that annoyed me most about the ESL. It was the fact that these teams thought they had the right to remain at the top of the tree forever, without any challenge. 

Yep, it was kids don't follow teams anymore they follow players and unless you let us do this we won't be able to sign them 

**** behave 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stewiek2 said:

I guess you didn't have the heart to tell him Mbappe doesn't play for Leicester.

He already knew. He was given the Leicester top as a Christmas present as he lives in Hinckley and is mildly interested in them due to their recent successes. But it's all about star players for him and his mates. It's Mbappe now but was Ronaldo a few years ago. 

I think it's a bit like how superheroes seep into kid's heads. My lad has never seen any Marvel movies or cartoons but is adamant he loves Spiderman. I think the brand type players get talked about in the same way for kids. 

I'd say this is all pretty normal, no? I didn't have the means growing up, but if I could I'd definitely have had a bunch of Ronaldo/Inzaghi/Totti kits growing up (I had some knockoff national team ones though!). 

Probably not a good example as I wasn't fully supporting Villa until my late teens, but a more analogous example would be me growing up a die-hard local Toronto Raptors fan, and having an Allen Iverson Philadelphia 76ers jersey before I ever had a Toronto one. He was my favourite player, and that transcended team loyalties. Like I'm sure everyone in the 90's had a Michael Jordan jersey despite supporting various teams, and I think it's the same for kids now. Maybe the culture in North America is different in that there is an appreciation of individual talent ignores rivalries etc.

Â