The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

58 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

It's amazing how no pundit has ever brought this up.  He tells Jack he needs to move to play in the big games so surely the manager needs to have that same experience?  I mean if we did have a proper manager not a yes man maybe the Semi Final and Final would be 2 trophies!?

Said it at the time, I do give Southgate some credit. A semi and a final is not to be sniffed at.

But if you swapped managers in the Euros final I guarantee we'd have won that game

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Villa fans when Grealish played for Villa: he doesn't need goals, that's not his game. Just watch him and you'll see how good he is and how he makes things happen. Judging him on goals is stupid and short sighted

Villa fans when Grealish doesn't play for Villa: 1 GOAL IN 13 HE IS SHIT!!1!!!111!

He's not a villa fan.

The role you've taken on in this thread is a strange one.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, S-Platt said:

It's amazing how no pundit has ever brought this up.  He tells Jack he needs to move to play in the big games so surely the manager needs to have that same experience?  I mean if we did have a proper manager not a yes man maybe the Semi Final and Final would be 2 trophies!?

The hypocrisy was pointed out by a lot of fans when Jack made the switch and made the starting line-up. People aren’t stupid - a lot of fans from Leeds and West Ham understand this now, Southgate is a ‘Yes man’ for the status quo. 

Will actually be interesting what happens in November games. I get the feeling he'll be out of the team once more as when you look at the options left wing for England is starting to get overloaded like right back.

Rashford always been a Southgate favourite when fully fit and he'll be back at weekend so if he scores a few goals he'll be in November squad. Sancho was being played on left v Andorra, Foden can play there as he did very well at Liverpool and pretty sure Saka played one of the euro games there.

It is a bit annoying to me Southgate found all the excuses around not to start him in any crucial match while he was with us and as soon as he signs for Man. City he's started pretty much every game so would be amusing to see him back on the bench for a spell leading up to the world cup. Him being the first attacker subbed last night hints at that.

4 hours ago, S-Platt said:

Simon Jordan was saying this about Southgate just this morning on Talksport, that the big clubs wouldnt touch him.  Why are we giving him a new contract now and not after the Qatar tournament? what's the rush? not as if he's going to get a big club offer at the moment was the general jist I what he was saying.  I was doing other things at the time so I might not be exactly right but he had the views that I have.  I think it was Trevor Sinclair the other dude, and obviously Jim White questioning him about it and about what his club would be but I missed most of the rest of it but definitely Simon Jordan was on about it this morning.

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Said it at the time, I do give Southgate some credit. A semi and a final is not to be sniffed at.

But if you swapped managers in the Euros final I guarantee we'd have won that game

very small amount of credit, we've had fairly easy draws to get to the upper ends of the competition and he has an incredibly talented squad.  I just dont think he's a good manager/coach, he's just fallen lucky in countries we've been drawn with and the squad he has.  I think if you look at most of the managers in the PL and think what they could do with the England squad, I think I would prefer most of them over Southgate.  Fantastic squad, easy draws.....

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

very small amount of credit, we've had fairly easy draws to get to the upper ends of the competition and he has an incredibly talented squad.  I just dont think he's a good manager/coach, he's just fallen lucky in countries we've been drawn with and the squad he has.  I think if you look at most of the managers in the PL and think what they could do with the England squad, I think I would prefer most of them over Southgate.  Fantastic squad, easy draws.....

Yeah but we've had easy draws before and still **** it up.

Getting a team to a semi and then a final deserves credit however you've done it. But I agree a better manager would have won the Euros

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Will actually be interesting what happens in November games. I get the feeling he'll be out of the team once more as when you look at the options left wing for England is starting to get overloaded like right back.

Rashford always been a Southgate favourite when fully fit and he'll be back at weekend so if he scores a few goals he'll be in November squad. Sancho was being played on left v Andorra, Foden can play there as he did very well at Liverpool and pretty sure Saka played one of the euro games there.

It is a bit annoying to me Southgate found all the excuses around not to start him in any crucial match while he was with us and as soon as he signs for Man. City he's started pretty much every game so would be amusing to see him back on the bench for a spell leading up to the world cup. Him being the first attacker subbed last night hints at that.

I think his frustration at being subbed was more than his usual frustrated self in an England shirt.

He knows he's out the side now.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah but we've had easy draws before and still **** it up.

Getting a team to a semi and then a final deserves credit however you've done it. But I agree a better manager would have won the Euros

I think Steve Bruce could have reached the euro final with that team. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Villa fans when Grealish played for Villa: he doesn't need goals, that's not his game. Just watch him and you'll see how good he is and how he makes things happen. Judging him on goals is stupid and short sighted

Villa fans when Grealish doesn't play for Villa: 1 GOAL IN 13 HE IS SHIT!!1!!!111!

While I've been in the former camp (and still am), there came a point where even he admitted he needed to get his production up. That's why by this point last season he had something crazy like 4 goals and 6 assists. He was undoubtedly a much better player than he was 2 seasons prior when he had 4 goals 6 assists for the whole season. Now that he's a 100m Manchester City player, I imagine they're expecting a lot more from him than just "making things happen". Literally even their goalkeeper can do that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Southgate the type of guy who never speaks or reacts with emotion, everything is always measured and he always has to try and say the right thing. Those types of people are boring.

and dodgy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

While I've been in the former camp (and still am), there came a point where even he admitted he needed to get his production up. That's why by this point last season he had something crazy like 4 goals and 6 assists. He was undoubtedly a much better player than he was 2 seasons prior when he had 4 goals 6 assists for the whole season. Now that he's a 100m Manchester City player, I imagine they're expecting a lot more from him than just "making things happen". Literally even their goalkeeper can do that.

I have always been of the belief that for Jack's talent to be fully appreciated, he has to score goals. That doesn't mean mixing it with the top scorers of the day....What it means is end product and he should be scoring more.

You can't have a world renowned reputation by laying on goals for someone else any more than a songwriter can hit the leadlines without singing( generally speaking)......They will always be known as bridesmaids. To play in a front 3 and expect world class ratings , you have to score....This passive notion of being a high class assister, is for the birds.

On to the game :

Jack was one of our best players against Hungary, what he was withdrawn for, I have no idea, We equally lost another threat in Luke Shaw who's game took a dip as Jack went off.....Ludicrous, IMO ( and I have no vested Interest anymore)

Going back to Jacks overall game, I think he is struggling to fine the form he had a Villa, for one fundamental reason. Jacks rise to fame has been on the back of One, twos...give and go and receive, and go again.....sure Jack can dribble, but he likes to move the ball and receive it back....They are rarely giving it back. You won't get the best out of Grealish playing like that....Jack was at a club (us)where, they all appreciated his talent and as a result, played through him, constantly, now he is just a number....and he will experience, being without the ball, more than he has been used to.

I can't say, I know what the outcome will be, but if Southgate or Pep, want the best out of Jack, they need to be aware of how to play him and how to get the other players to play him, else £100m will seem a lot of money.....I will say it again, at this level, Man City and England, you have to score goals at some stage to be in contention for the shirt, playing in the position he is.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, TRO said:

I have always been of the belief that for Jack's talent to be fully appreciated, he has to score goals. That doesn't mean mixing it with the top scorers of the day....What it means is end product and he should be scoring more.

You can't have a world renowned reputation by laying on goals for someone else any more than a songwriter can hit the leadlines without singing( generally speaking)......They will always be known as bridesmaids. To play in a front 3 and expect world class ratings , you have to score....This passive notion of being a high class assister, is for the birds.

On to the game :

Jack was one of our best players against Hungary, what he was withdrawn for, I have no idea, We equally lost another threat in Luke Shaw who's game took a dip as Jack went off.....Ludicrous, IMO ( and I have no vested Interest anymore)

Going back to Jacks overall game, I think he is struggling to fine the form he had a Villa, for one fundamental reason. Jacks rise to fame has been on the back of One, twos...give and go and receive, and go again.....sure Jack can dribble, but he likes to move the ball and receive it back....They are rarely giving it back. You won't get the best out of Grealish playing like that....Jack was at a club (us)where, they all appreciated his talent and as a result, played through him, constantly, now he is just a number....and he will experience, being without the ball, more than he has been used to.

I can't say, I know what the outcome will be, but if Southgate or Pep, want the best out of Jack, they need to be aware of how to play him and how to get the other players to play him, else £100m will seem a lot of money.....I will say it again, at this level, Man City and England, you have to score goals at some stage to be in contention for the shirt, playing in the position he is.

I thought for England last night he was playing more like he did for Villa.  Wanting the ball a lot and trying to do something with it rather than just play a simple pass. Who knows he might have scored if he had stayed on. Shaw looks for him, Kane is totally selfish and doesnt, Sterling never passes to him or when he does he deliberately under-hits or overhits the pass. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I thought for England last night he was playing more like he did for Villa.  Wanting the ball a lot and trying to do something with it rather than just play a simple pass. Who knows he might have scored if he had stayed on. Shaw looks for him, Kane is totally selfish and doesnt, Sterling never passes to him or when he does he deliberately under-hits or overhits the pass. 

I agree Paul....I was talking recently and touching on last night.

I accept, he was playing more like he did at Villa, ironically getting hooked, when he plays better.....but they still rarely played the ball back to him, like Villa players did.

I fear Jack will be an enigma under Southgate.....and I don't see Southgate winning anything as International manager.

• Like 1

Â