The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

31 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

They are but the point i'm making is he left his 'own clubs' fans of which he apparently was one at the first concrete opportunity to play for a 'successful' club, of which many of their fans have as much connection to the club as I have to Timbuktu FC

That's a bit of a reach though. They have fans in different countries of course, but of the 'Sky 6' they're probably the one with the *least* international penetration.

I have to say, I lived in Manchester, and the notion that often seems to come up that all of the fans of the two teams live somewhere completely different is very much not true in the slightest.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

That's a bit of a reach though. They have fans in different countries of course, but of the 'Sky 6' they're probably the one with the *least* international penetration.

I have to say, I lived in Manchester, and the notion that often seems to come up that all of the fans of the two teams live somewhere completely different is very much not true in the slightest.

I agree that thy don't - which is why they are signing players like Grealish.

Sure they have a lot of local fans. But what connection does he have to them exactly?

9 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Sure they have a lot of local fans. But what connection does he have to them exactly?

what connection does john mcginn have to us?

left his boyhood club for us, still supports them and is often vocal about it on social media

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

left his boyhood club for us, still supports them and is often vocal about it on social media

Lol I can't believe i'm having to explain why man city are a bunch of see you next tuesdays.

OK Mcginn is a similar situation, but slightly different in that he's moved league for one, so he's not actively now in direct competition with his old club. A similar thing would be if he went to Celtic/rangers, but by now i'd guessing the rest of the Scottish league are used to that happening. Maybe we should too huh?

Edited by VillaJ100
  • Like 1

I wonder if deep down pep thinks he made a mistake signing grealish?

Its easy to say no as he will improve them long term, but will he be granted the time he needs there? Does he actually add a new level of pressure?

He is an inigma of a player, it took us years to figure out how to integrate him into the side properly, and to do so we had to build it around him.

I know he has become a great player but he doesn't actually fit a traditional system as well as others will, and that is peps forte.

28 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

isnt McGinn a Celtic fan?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

I doubt that, to be honest. Grealish is obviously famous inside the UK, and among dedicated Premier League watchers, but he's hardly a global superstar. He's not going to attract millions of fans on his own.

I know people are weirdly resistant to hearing it, but the reason they signed him is that he's an *extremely* good footballer.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, blandy said:

I agree. I wonder how much of that is him and how much is his manager demanding it. Guardiola seems very intent on drilling in to players exactly what to do, where to go, how to play, with perhaps KDB being allowed some leeway for meandering. SO while Jack may get more positional discipline into his game, something else is lost.

I think it's mostly on him. That transfer fee must be like a ton of lead on his shoulders. You look at the run Jesus made for City's goal vs Liverpool or the Silva run where he got cut down by Milner. In both instances they took on multiple Liverpool players. I really doubt Pep is telling less skilled dribblers to attack while telling Jack to play it ultra conservative. 

If it keeps going like this for the rest of the season, City may have to pay another £50 million for Dean and make him Jack's personal coach. So far he is the only manager that has been able to get consistent high level play from Jack. 

21 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I doubt that, to be honest. Grealish is obviously famous inside the UK, and among dedicated Premier League watchers, but he's hardly a global superstar. He's not going to attract millions of fans on his own.

I know people are weirdly resistant to hearing it, but the reason they signed him is that he's an *extremely* good footballer.

i disagree

he's not there yet but theres every danger that he will be, he's incredibly marketable and always has been, he can be the face of man city, and the national team, and the league

they want english glory hunting youngsters, the international ones will follow but will take a lot longer (as shit as this sounds wait and see what jump his FIFA rating makes this year)

we will see where nike have him by the next world cup, i would bet my left bollock that he features prominently in their advertising next summer

its definitely the reason as to why they need him and paid £100m for him, without it i dont think he plays for city, i think they pass on him based on what they already have

20 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think a lot of people have this opinion and its a bit weird that he is some global superstar. He is 26 and he has only just went past his 100th top flight game. As it is supposed to be the thing now he still has less Instagram followers than Trezeguet. He has 44 million less than Pogba, Gabriel Jesus has 15 million and is the highest at City

He is very far from an international superstar

2 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

They are but the point i'm making is he left his 'own clubs' fans of which he apparently was one at the first concrete opportunity to play for a 'successful' club, of which many of their fans have as much connection to the club as I have to Timbuktu FC

I imagine Jack could have left us 5 years ago if he wanted to. 

Do people really think this was his first opportunity?

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Best in England? 

They don't need a CL for that, they've won the league 3 years in 4, set the record for points and goals, even the year they lost it to Liverpool they had the ridiculous points tally, won the league Cup 4 years in a row (but only 1 FA Cup) 

Lost the CL final 

Comfortably the best team in the PL

And they tried to go on a £250m splurge on 2 players.... Whilst under investigation for FFP... And those 2 players were the best 2 players and captains of their boyhood clubs

Grealish moving woke some people up, there's not many West Ham or Leeds fans taking the piss out of us for example, if man City want rice or phillips in January they will take them 

No , Europe. They need to win the champions League before they claim that title 

24 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think a lot of people have this opinion and its a bit weird that he is some global superstar. He is 26 and he has only just went past his 100th top flight game. As it is supposed to be the thing now he still has less Instagram followers than Trezeguet. He has 44 million less than Pogba, Gabriel Jesus has 15 million and is the highest at City

He is very far from an international superstar

Also his first international was only about 12 months ago, and prior to this summer he played for a bottom-half PL team that most people in other countries don't care about or have barely heard of.

Also, I'm very far from a footballer marketing consultant and I'm just guessing and thinking out loud here, but is a white guy from Birmingham who kind of mumbles and gives very earnest answers in interviews, yet also seems to have occasional disasters with alcohol and sex, the profile of someone who's going to become a global superstar? I dunno, it doesn't seem the most promising material to work with IMO.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

I think it's mostly on him. That transfer fee must be like a ton of lead on his shoulders. You look at the run Jesus made for City's goal vs Liverpool or the Silva run where he got cut down by Milner. In both instances they took on multiple Liverpool players. I really doubt Pep is telling less skilled dribblers to attack while telling Jack to play it ultra conservative. 

If it keeps going like this for the rest of the season, City may have to pay another £50 million for Dean and make him Jack's personal coach. So far he is the only manager that has been able to get consistent high level play from Jack. 

I thought this too, but then you look at Mahrez who was a flamboyant dribbler for Leicester and Algeria and he basically plays exactly like Jack but on the right. Very safe. One thing he has on Jack though is that he can shoot and he's very dangerous if he cuts in on his left foot. Jack just doesn't have that fear factor about him. You know if he cuts in, 8 times out of 10 he's rolling it straight into the keeper's arms.

5 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

Awww… Boo **** hoo!

He signed a contract knowing that he wanted to leave but that we didn’t want to sell…

He, his family and his agent pulled the strings to make the transfer happen and let Man City know all the intricate details of his contract that needed to be met to secure the transfer…

Good… I’m glad it must feel like a lead weight on his shoulders… and I hope it collapses on him… That would be justice served…

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

Awww… Boo **** hoo!

He signed a contract knowing that he wanted to leave but that we didn’t want to sell…

He, his family and his agent pulled the strings to make the transfer happen and let Man City know all the intricate details of his contract that needed to be met to secure the transfer…

Good… I’m glad it must feel like a lead weight on his shoulders… and I hope it collapses on him… That would be justice served…

**** me, did he shag your mom or something? :D 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

**** me, did he shag your mom or something? :D 

Nah…. I just really don’t like Man City… In fact, I don’t really like any other English club… aside from Southampton…

but Man City take the piss, everyone knows they take the piss… and “one of our own” went straight for it like a dog missing his masters leg

• Like 1

Â