The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

5 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Its inevitable.  He was going to trade off some of his creativity and time on the ball to join a football winning machine. He must have know that when he told his agent to do the deal. He won't look as good but will win trophies, will start every game for England, and earn millions more. Simple as that.

Yeah, I'm fairly certain he was aware this would happen. I saw someone on Twitter mention this, and I'm not sure if it's confirmation bias since I'm not following any City accounts but last year after every game there would be compilations of his touches and skill during the game, his insane stats were doing the rounds all over football Twitter etc. Now the discourse seems to be opposition fans taking the piss out of City for paying 100m for him. I doubt he's losing sleep over it though.

Foden is explosive; Bernardo is intricate; Jack was just a spare part and will get upstaged when on the same pitch as those 2. Thats how I saw it yesterday but the amount of options and talent in that City side is just disgusting. Looked obvious that Jack was asked to play a role he didnt know how to play. Guardiola I suppose will always try to push players into roles they aren’t comfortable or familiar with on occassions but even despite Jack being peripheral, City still absolutely dominated that first half.

3 hours ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

Foden has a much higher ceiling tbh

They both play for the same national team in the same most expensive team in the world in similar roles. They will both win the same trophies for the next X years. 

I'd say their ceilings are fairly similar if not the same.

• Like 2

Foden currently looks about as good and is 5 years younger. I think there's a pretty good chance he becomes a better player, there's no shame in that though, if that does occur, Foden wqill be one of the very best in the league

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

Foden has a much higher ceiling tbh

Foden is excellent.

I do think he's more of an attacking threat which is why he catches the eye a bit more whereas Jack, as we knomw, does more of the assisting the assist stuff. So they're not the same kind of player.

But I agree Foden has phenomenal potential

• Like 1

Yeah I agree re: Foden.

He's been playing PL and CL football for the last two years and he's still only 20; whereas 'the other guy' is only getting a taste of that now and trying to adapt.

Foden is on course to be a World Class player and his potential is much higher (in theory).

This is really really interesting stuff from StatsBomb. 

They’ve started assigning On Ball Value to passes and actions which is a metric that enables you to measure the effectiveness of passes and actions that don’t directly lead to a goal. I.e. it’s a way of measuring “assisting the assist”

It adds context around why Grealish was worth so much while he played for us as he’s by far the best player in the league when it comes to this.

It will also provide us a nice baseline to measure how he’s performing this season after his move compared to last season without using goals and assists 

BF9838BA-BF98-498F-BE37-95FE3E9AB38B.webp

5168DCFE-13DF-469C-8DE6-F07518A0F960.webp

• Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

I don't think you'd see Grealish score the goal Foden did, I've never seen lethal finishing like that from Grealish.

I’m sorry but whilst Grealish isn’t prolific in front of goal he is capable of scoring the odd screamer. 

Off the top of my head, the goal from the corner against Derby, the one at Old Trafford last season and the goal against West Ham that ‘kept us up’ 

all quality goals! 

3 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I’m sorry but whilst Grealish isn’t prolific in front of goal he is capable of scoring the odd screamer. 

Off the top of my head, the goal from the corner against Derby, the one at Old Trafford last season and the goal against West Ham that ‘kept us up’ 

all quality goals! 

I agree with the original poster here. For me the key thing holding Jack back from reaching his potential is his lack of cutting edge in front of goal. For a player who’s so good on the ball and plays as far forward as he does he should be getting far more goals but his shooting/finishing isn’t at a top level frankly. Started all 7 of city’s PL games as part of the front 3 but only has 1 goal (where he basically deflected it in) which says it all

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

all quality goals! 

I'm not saying he can't score good goals, but the precision of the finish from Foden at that angle and that pace is not something I have seen from Grealish. 

• Like 2

Â