The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

In any of that did I say he will play even if he is shit?  I thought he was decent in the early league games, just nothing special.  You and your mate Bobzy are clearly too in love with Jack to have a reasonable discussion about him. Too much emotion involved :)

Well it was implied. The implication was that despite performances he'll start because of how much he cost. So yes if he was shit he'd still be starting.

I think this is a reasonable discussion. You posted something that I didn't think was true and I think I've done a decent job in debunking it with stats and evidence. By all means if you have evidence to the contrary I'd like to see it and discuss it.

But you're the one who has resorted to childish insults and name calling so I don't think it's me and bobzy who are failing to have a reasonable discussion here

I dont know what Pep is telling him but he needs to express himself far more. Hes playing safe football and any half decent player can do that. This time last season he was playing as well as anybody in the world. The 7-2 against liverpool and then the virtuoso performance against Belgium because he was taking chances. Hes far better than the way he is playing now. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I dont know what Pep is telling him but he needs to express himself far more. Hes playing safe football and any half decent player can do that. This time last season he was playing as well as anybody in the world. The 7-2 against liverpool and then the virtuoso performance against Belgium because he was taking chances. Hes far better than the way he is playing now. 

Its inevitable.  He was going to trade off some of his creativity and time on the ball to join a football winning machine. He must have know that when he told his agent to do the deal. He won't look as good but will win trophies, will start every game for England, and earn millions more. Simple as that.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Well it was implied. The implication was that despite performances he'll start because of how much he cost. So yes if he was shit he'd still be starting.

I think this is a reasonable discussion. You posted something that I didn't think was true and I think I've done a decent job in debunking it with stats and evidence. By all means if you have evidence to the contrary I'd like to see it and discuss it.

But you're the one who has resorted to childish insults and name calling so I don't think it's me and bobzy who are failing to have a reasonable discussion here

My evidence is only what I have seen with my own eyes and opinion I’m afraid. So I guess I have to just accept I may be wrong at this moment in time.  However I’m fairly certain in time I’ll be right. He’ll fail to live up to the hype and will spend a lot of time on the bench.   He will be seen as poor signing.

I thought the childish insults were funny 😆 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

10 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Was…. I think the England fans love affair for him is already waning. He’s no longer the local hero turned good representing his boyhood club, I imagine that played a huge part in his charming of the nations hearts. Now he is at a plastic club where he is underperforming… it’s all a bit meh, the attention will be back on Harry Kane again now. 

I think his PR team really didn't see this. It was what made him unique to international fans and media. Now his reputation has dropped in Europe. He is being held up as the posterboy for how the English teams spend money 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Its inevitable.  He was going to trade off some of his creativity and time on the ball to join a football winning machine. He must have know that when he told his agent to do the deal. He won't look as good but will win trophies, will start every game for England, and earn millions more. Simple as that.

i dunno, i didnt watch loads of man city before and havent watched that much of them this year...but i really expected them to be more fluid in attack, i didnt watch it but it sounded like yesterday it was grealish as a 9 foden as a LW, i was expecting pep to go more with a 4 AMC in attack play wherever you want boys good to luck to them picking you all up but everytime ive seen grealish he is a left winger, nothing more

19 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Was…. I think the England fans love affair for him is already waning. He’s no longer the local hero turned good representing his boyhood club, I imagine that played a huge part in his charming of the nations hearts. Now he is at a plastic club where he is underperforming… it’s all a bit meh, the attention will be back on Harry Kane again now. 

I do agree with this. The general feeling I've got from talking to other fans about Jack is that they don't like him as much now that he signed for City. He was living every football fans' dream before signing for City and it was quite endearing for all fans. I'm sure that will all change if he plays well for England tho. 

Edited by PieFacE

Spent 100m on one of the worlds best left sided forwards to play him as a 8 or a false 9. Brilliant stuff.

Already had some of the creativity taken out of him, played almost every minute in the league and created 1 big chance, 1 assist, 1 goal (that hit him and went in). Funny though, his stats miles down compared to Villa and straight into the England team.

Sad to see.

• Like 4

I would say he's had a decent start to the season, maybe a 6/7 out of 10.

I've watched the following City matches;

• Leicester (Sub) -  Came on around the hour, didn't do anything of note.
  • Spurs - Kept the ball ok, was one of City's better players, his opponent Tanganga MOTM though.
  • Arsenal - Didn't touch the ball for first 25 mins, set up 3rd, against 10 men, game opened up looked good.
  • Chelsea - Did ok, nothing more nothing less, went close with a curling effort.
  • PSG - (only watched 1st half) - went down easy a couple of times (KW), played a part in City's best chance.
  • Liverpool - Played centrally (false 9), was very poor, rightly subbed.

Other games I have not seen fully -

• Norwich - Scored, by all accounts played well (in an easy win).
  • Soton - 0-0 - Have no idea how he did.
  • Leipzig - Scored a great goal, played very well by all accounts.

The goal against Leipzig aside, I haven't really seen too much of his real quality and it's all too safe.

Don't get me wrong it's great that he keeps the ball extremely well (boy could we have done with some of our guys doing that yesterday!) but Jack's whole game is about expressing himself and taking players on and I've seen very little of that so far.

I think the transition was always going to take time and it may well not work out for him. He has gone from being the main man/having a team built around him where the majority of the other outfield players in the team first thought when they get the ball is to look for Grealish. Now he is surrounded by players who when they get the ball want to do something with it and make things happen themselves. I have only really taken a passing glance at Man City games since he has been there but every time I have seen them I have lost count of situations where the ball hasn't been passed to him when he has been in a position where if he was still at Villa he'd definitely have been given it. 

I don't think the weight of the 100 mill price tag is weighing him down. I just think now not having a team that revolves around him means not seeing as much of the ball which has resulted in him losing a bit of confidence and playing more cautiously. 

Edited by markavfc40

7 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I think the transition was always going to take time and it may well not work out for him. He has gone from being the main man/having a team built around him where the majority of the other outfield players in the team first thought when they get the ball is to look for Grealish. Now he is surrounded by players who when they get the ball want to do something with it and make things happen themselves.

I think this was always going to be the case, and it's no slight on Grealish really. the same thing is happening to Messi ffs. I doubt he went into the move to City expecting every ball to go through him though.

56 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

My evidence is only what I have seen with my own eyes and opinion I’m afraid. So I guess I have to just accept I may be wrong at this moment in time.  However I’m fairly certain in time I’ll be right. He’ll fail to live up to the hype and will spend a lot of time on the bench.   He will be seen as poor signing.

And that's fine. That's a valid prediction. One I don't agree with but it's fair enough.

I was disagreeing with the "he's only playing because of his price tag" narrative which just isn't true, imo. But I think we'r eon the same page now there

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

• Chelsea - Did ok, nothing more nothing less, went close with a curling effort.

He was brilliant against Chelsea to be honest. Pretty much every media outlet I've seen has said as much as well.

He didn’t quite seem with the pace of the game yesterday.  He was definitely uncomfortable in the position he was asked to play. Didn’t make much sense when Jesus has played the role a lot more. Then again Jesus did superbly from the left to set up the equaliser. 

21 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He was brilliant against Chelsea to be honest. Pretty much every media outlet I've seen has said as much as well.

He has to be scoring that one on one though.  Had Jesus not scored the winner from nothing Jacks ratings might not have been as high after missing that chance.

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He didn’t quite seem with the pace of the game yesterday.  He was definitely uncomfortable in the position he was asked to play. Didn’t make much sense when Jesus has played the role a lot more. Then again Jesus did superbly from the left to set up the equaliser. 

Jesus has been the best City player this season 😉

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I think the transition was always going to take time and it may well not work out for him. He has gone from being the main man/having a team built around him where the majority of the other outfield players in the team first thought when they get the ball is to look for Grealish.

Exactly this as I said when he left and its also the reason why he'll never be anywhere near as effective for England as he was with Villa. He needs to be your quarterback, your heartbeat, your main axis or you are wasting his talent. Watching him offer no more than simple square passes when he has the talent he has is such a sad waste. City have got and are getting this horribly wrong ! 

Â