The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

Just now, Zatman said:

Sad to see Jack have his style taken from him 

I've defended Jack more than most in this thread, but nothing is being 'taken from him', he wanted this move and will have known this would be required. Maybe 'sad to see Jack willingly give up the style that made him such a great player to watch'. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

I've defended Jack more than most in this thread, but nothing is being 'taken from him', he wanted this move and will have known this would be required. Maybe 'sad to see Jack willingly give up the style that made him such a great player to watch'. 

I was going to put in a dig about the money 😉 but was comnenting more for a football fan than Jack himself he will be fine 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Or with it imho. I maintain Man City overpaid. Grealish is not a 100M player. Whether or not Grealish will end up being like Benteke or Idrissa Gueye I cant say but as of today it looks like we did great business.

Of course I didnt want him to leave but it seems to be working out for everyone.

Benteke or Idrissa Gueye? Really?

• Like 1

Thing is Jack had bad games for us but most of the time the whole team played badly too so if we got bashed 3-0 it wouldn't look too bad on him. Now if he has a bad game in that team it will be amplified 100x and he'd look dog shit if the rest of the team are playing well. 

But... yeah. For the most expensive British player/prem record signing you'd be expecting a matchwinner. They will probably give him a little bit of time to get used to the 'champions league nights' as of course he's been languishing in the doldrums playing for shit villa for his whole life, but they won't give him forever. Especially at his age - he's not a 20 year old 

1 hour ago, The Moustache of Teale said:

He’s an outstanding player and will have huge success there - everyone has games where they’re not at their best - he had a few of them for us too.

For me, the key thing is that at Man City, he fits into the system whereas at Villa the system fitted around him. He doesn’t quite have the same remit there, and that takes away that bit of the maverick edge in him. I can’t see him going on one of those barnstorming runs like he did at home to Leeds for example, and to that extent it feels a bit like a super car with a speed limiter fitted. Nonetheless he’s one of their best players and will win trophies there.

I don’t agree with this mate.  He will play a lot because of the price tag but I think they have quite a few better players.  He will definitely win trophy’s though. 

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Really? I'm not sure there's another player in that team that slows the ball down the way Grealish often does.

This is what I noticed. Silva, Mahrez, KDB, Sterling all seemed to have intent and try to make something happen. Jack just seem to slow it down, square up to his man and then lay it off. 

He is a lot better than he showed yesterday.  

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Not writing him off as a 100m pound player. I just never thought he was one.  

I dont either. He doesnt score enough goals to be in that bracket. People argued with me when I said Salah was worth that but despite being older his goal scoring record is top draw. 

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

He's no KdB, but he's not out of place in the same group as Sterling, Foden, etc.

He’s not but he isn’t an improvement either. That’s why spending 100m on a player they already have an abundance of makes no sense. Although to be fair he does have a few years on Mahrez. 

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Really? I'm not sure there's another player in that team that slows the ball down the way Grealish often does.

I guess what I mean by that is in their general approach play. Jack looks at his best when he's given the ball early and told to run with it and be direct. At least, for Villa he did anyway imo. When City get to the final third everything kinda grinds to a halt a bit and they just knock it about for a while. At least, that's my view. 

Reality is Jack improves -  his game is elite because of his mentality and his desire. If he started off at an extremely high level then I'd think long term he'd flop. But he'll improve as he did with us.

Fckr.

Edited by Sulberto21

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Assume he means which way Jacks career goes. one is playing for an elite club while the other is a Crystal Palace reserve 

Yeah I think I was a bit harsh questioning it like that tbf. My immediate thought waa that Grealish is better than both, but Benteke had genuine world class potential when younger, and I always rated Gueye.

Just always thought Grealish is a very special player, which he is, but he has to show it at City now.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

He looks too afraid to deviate, Jack was a free spirit, he doesn't look the same to me, and he has lost that beaming smile.

He has made his bed, and he has to lie on it......it wouldn't surprise me, that in a couple of seasons, he moves on.

I hope he does well, but I just don't see it.....where's all those little one,twos, disappeared to.....He passes and they turn their back and move it in the opposite direction.

Having said all of that, I think we will progress nicely, without him.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

He looks too afraid to deviate, Jack was a free spirit, he doesn't look the same to me, and he has lost that beaming smile.

He has made his bed, and he has to lie on it......it wouldn't surprise me, that in a couple of seasons, he moves on.

I hope he does well, but I just don't see it.....where's all those little one,twos, disappeared to.....He passes and they turn their back and move it in the opposite direction.

Having said all of that, I think we will progress nicely, without him.

It's probably good in a way that we've shifted a player who could do pretty much whatever he wanted at the club for a huge fee.

• Like 3

Â