The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

34 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Doesn't look like a personal dream when ever since our Owners come in he were looking for a way out at one of the usual top finishers in the league.

You're the jilted ex that can't get over the love of your life being happy with someone else. 

He said in interviews its been his dream. Scoring against Blues whilst getting  attacked was "the best day of my life".

Of course it was his dream. Now he's moved on and we will too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VillaFaninLondon said:
1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Yeah, a lot of those posters now praising Grealish for leaving Villa will also be the same ones defending Smith like their lives depend on it.

Can't have much faith in the manager if they believe Grealish had to leave Villa because we weren't going anywhere. 

I won't be one of them. Smith is doing a good job but he is very much under the spotlight. I won't be shedding to many tears when he leaves but he I do respect the man for what he is doing. A poor season this year and we could be looking for his replacement. As for Grealish leaving Villa because we weren't going anywhere. I don't believe he ever said that and nor do I believe he believes it. Anyone that follows football can see Villa is on the rise, it is just the speed of that rise would not suit Grealish at his stage in his career

1 hour ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Yeah, a lot of those posters now praising Grealish for leaving Villa will also be the same ones defending Smith like their lives depend on it.

Can't have much faith in the manager if they believe Grealish had to leave Villa because we weren't going anywhere. 

Everton's last manager was hired from Real Madrid . . . and they finished one place above us in the league. We could go out and get another manager, but they won't get us into Europe. Sorry.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

I won't be one of them. Smith is doing a good job but he is very much under the spotlight. I won't be shedding to many tears when he leaves but he I do respect the man for what he is doing. A poor season this year and we could be looking for his replacement. As for Grealish leaving Villa because we weren't going anywhere. I don't believe he ever said that and nor do I believe he believes it. Anyone that follows football can see Villa is on the rise, it is just the speed of that rise would not suit Grealish at his stage in his career

The challenge for Smith is progressing the club without Grealish. 

So far this season he hasn't shown that he can but he's had injuries, COVID etc to contend with. Now we have an almost fully fit squad expectations will rise. 

3 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Yeah, a lot of those posters now praising Grealish for leaving Villa will also be the same ones defending Smith like their lives depend on it. Can't have much faith in the manager if they believe Grealish had to leave Villa because we weren't going anywhere. 

Nobody is PRAISING Grealish for leaving. People merely understand why he did. 

And that doesn't mean we have no faith in the manager. We can think that Dean Smith is taking us somewhere AND understand that it isn't going to be where Man City are any time soon.

It would take us 10 years of everything going absolutely perfectly to get to where Man City are now grealish would be retired by the time we got there.

As @Keybladesaid, in one night he's played in the champions league, scored, and done it alongside one of the best players in the world and his idol. Realistically, are we going to be able to offer him that during his career here? Maybe... but probably not

• Like 1

I wonder if it's noticeable in the moment as a player how desensitized their fans are to success, or you're so elated at scoring that it doesn't register. When he ran up to their fans to celebrate pretty much all of them had their phones out to take a picture. There was no manic excitement with fans desperately trying to get to the front just to touch their hero, just a load of people calmly completing their photographic record to prove they were a few metres away.

I get that years on end in a competition may take away some of the novelty, but it's not like they've ever won it. I'd like to think if it was us in the same position that our record signing scoring their first European goal would still be enough to elicit some passion.

23 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Nobody is PRAISING Grealish for leaving. People merely understand why he did. 

And that doesn't mean we have no faith in the manager. We can think that Dean Smith is taking us somewhere AND understand that it isn't going to be where Man City are any time soon.

It would take us 10 years of everything going absolutely perfectly to get to where Man City are now grealish would be retired by the time we got there.

As @Keybladesaid, in one night he's played in the champions league, scored, and done it alongside one of the best players in the world and his idol. Realistically, are we going to be able to offer him that during his career here? Maybe... but probably not

Understanding why he left is different to bigging up City while putting down Villa which is just baffling when you're supposed to be a Villa fan. I frankly couldn't care less about Grealish and his career, great player for us but I love the club more than a single player. He wasn't on board with what we were trying to achieve and he sold out. That's fine but we seem to talk about him more now than when he was at Villa FFS. 

9 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I mean, I agree with the bolded. I pouted a bit for a day, and then I've got on with it and it's fine. But there are people in this thread who seem extremely butt-hurt about it, and like they are really struggling to recover.

Agreed.  I think I got this out of my system with Dwight Yorke.  Not only is that the place where I learned to deal with the shock of a hero leaving, we spent the money on Merson and Dublin proving that you if you are smart with how you replace a player then it doesn’t matter that much. Nobody is bigger than the club.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

I'm not ashamed or embarrassed to admit, that even at 44 years young, seeing him play for City hurts a lot as does seeing any of his social media City stuff.

I get why he left. We couldn't offer what City can. But I still think he's a Villa fan, he's just in a completely different position to any of us. Moving for me doesn't change that. But for him his career / brand is No 1 priority and has been for a good while. But that's his choice and as hard as it is to take there is no turning back.

I don't begrudge any of our supporters wishing him well still at City,  he brought us so much joy when wearing the claret & blue, but not for me. I can't bring myself to that at all. I hope he does well when playing for England at major tournaments (given he's a nailed on starter now - Cheers Gareth) but that's all the support I can muster.

He will no doubt shine for both though, on the biggest stage - Majority of Villa fans have known this for years now, which makes this whole transfer even harder to take seeing now all the plastic fans jumping on the "Grealish is world class" (now he's at City) bandwagon.

Anyway, I can put it all in perspective, it's football at the end of the day - It's not (quite) life or death - Just disappointing that he could have been one of the greatest legends at our club had he stayed on our journey. Oh well.

I was with you all the way until that pal.

I cannot bring myself to give him any support or encouragement…

I can’t stand the England national setup - for years it’s been engineered to prise away our best players by putting them on lads holidays abroad with players at top 6 clubs so they can turn their heads…

It happened with Barry, Milner, Young, Downing, Delph and now Jack…

As soon as they choose to leave Villa for another English club; they lose all of my respect and support… which they are paid handsomely enough not to give a toss about… but then again, I’m that emotionally invested in my club that I shouldn’t be obligated to give a toss about a player who chooses to leave…

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Looked more world class at Villa than he does at City, I'm afraid it was just a money whore move and whatever made Jack the player he were ended when he threw in respect and loyalty for the expensive way of life and medals.

In a way I don't blame him for doing it but he could of showed the world for once that money doesn't always make a player or define one and sticking by Villa would of showed that.

Agree 100%. I think he will eventually reach those villa levels though.

JG10 the brand is the most important thing for him right now and appears its been that way ever since he was given the armband. Sad

6 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

I was with you all the way until that pal.

I cannot bring myself to give him any support or encouragement…

I can’t stand the England national setup - for years it’s been engineered to prise away our best players by putting them on lads holidays abroad with players at top 6 clubs so they can turn their heads…

It happened with Barry, Milner, Young, Downing, Delph and now Jack…

As soon as they choose to leave Villa for another English club; they lose all of my respect and support… which they are paid handsomely enough not to give a toss about… but then again, I’m that emotionally invested in my club that I shouldn’t be obligated to give a toss about a player who chooses to leave…

To be honest I understand fully where you are coming from, maybe I had my Italia 90 head on when I posted that bit - I'm not a fan of Southgate and watching England isn't the same as it was for me in years gone by.

I think my point is, which I badly put, "it's easier watching him play for England than it is for City".

I can watch him perform for England and think our famous club got him performing at these standards (regardless of what the clueless/top 6 driven media try to tell us).

I agree with your sentiments though about the National team👍 

Â