The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

13 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Not sure I understand why likes of Gabby are considered legends - never even got close to 20 league goals in a season for us and without his pace he would have been a League 1 player. 

Sadly I think we have that provincial mindset that if you're local and play for the club, and maybe score a few goals against the Noses, you're a legend. Never mind the fact that Gabby was utterly useless from 2010 onwards bar a few games a season. His best season he got 12 league goals - Ollie beat that in his first season for us. 

Players like Mellberg, Laursen, Barry I could see as sort of legends (except we didn't win anything with them), at least they had real quality about them. 

Back on topic, we need to forget about Greasy now. I think if we're as ambitious as we say we are we shouldn't be waiting for him to come back. He's already burnt his bridges with his comments and lack of respect IMO.

Leicester have lost numerous players to the Scummy 6 over the years but have rebuilt a stronger and better team and that's what we have to do. 

One thing we can learn is having a release clause (no matter how high) is not clever and we should try to avoid it in future. Levy would never allow that. And also not to get too attached to one single player because ultimately there is no loyalty in football.

Gabby had a disgusting unhealthy attitude and was seriously unprofessional in those twilight years. Only turning up against the Noses. He was very happy to be partying abroad when the club was being relegated. And came off as xenophobic towards Garde. Nowhere near a legend for this club, no matter the goals scored. 

• Like 2

I think there is a fine line to walk between actual legendary status and being a "hero" to the fans. Less than a legend, but fondly remembered. For me, players like Laursen and Carew would probably fit into that second category. The closest players to legends in my time supporting the club would probably have to be Mellberg and Ian Taylor. I was born in 92, so I don't really remember much of the sides that last won us trophies. Grealish for me would probably also have been in the "hero" camp and has left short of fulfilling the potential to become a legend. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Depends on your age

I'm 37 and due to the inaccessibility of football in the 90s compared to today I didn't see that much of mcgrath, probably saw him play more for Ireland than I did for villa

So that leaves grealish up there with gabby, Barry, Taylor etc 

For anyone under the age of 30 he's comfortably the best villa player they've seen, which then you throw in winning stuff that's a lot of Villa fans with no legends... 

Ive seen them all and Grealish is the best talent we have ever had, the only downside is that he never scored enough goals

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Not sure I understand why likes of Gabby are considered legends - never even got close to 20 league goals in a season for us and without his pace he would have been a League 1 player. 

Sadly I think we have that provincial mindset that if you're local and play for the club, and maybe score a few goals against the Noses, you're a legend. Never mind the fact that Gabby was utterly useless from 2010 onwards bar a few games a season. His best season he got 12 league goals - Ollie beat that in his first season for us. 

Players like Mellberg, Laursen, Barry I could see as sort of legends (except we didn't win anything with them), at least they had real quality about them. 

Back on topic, we need to forget about Greasy now. I think if we're as ambitious as we say we are we shouldn't be waiting for him to come back. He's already burnt his bridges with his comments and lack of respect IMO.

Leicester have lost numerous players to the Scummy 6 over the years but have rebuilt a stronger and better team and that's what we have to do. 

One thing we can learn is having a release clause (no matter how high) is not clever and we should try to avoid it in future. Levy would never allow that. And also not to get too attached to one single player because ultimately there is no loyalty in football.

For me legends are the ones that took us to Glory.  So I'll leave that to the likes of Withe, Mortimer and Cowans. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Zatman said:

If Hutton is considered a legend by some then so is Grealish. I dont believe either are

Jack still could be but he isnt now. I think Barry and Mellberg are probably the closest in the last 15 years 

Grealish can come back and score a goal by running the length of the pitch if he wants to be compared to the Scottish Cafu

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

See to me you're putting Laursen and Mellberg as "legends" purely because they left when we were ok with them leaving.

Laursen played less than 100 games for Villa and achieved less thank Jack did, wasn't as good a player as Jack was, captained us less times and only played for us because he had a bad injury as opposed to coming up through the ranks at the club.

Why is he a legend and grealish isn't? Because he retired here?
If jack had done his cruciate in the summer and had to retire would he be a legend?

Mellberg let his contract run down and left for Juventus on a free. Is that worse than how Jack has left? Or because he bought everyone a shirt does that make him a legend?

I've said it dozens of times. Grealish is getting punished by our fans for being good enough for an elite club to want him. 
In the eyes of the fans he'd have been better off being shit and staying here for his whole career.

It's backwards

Absolutely not. He left for Champions League football and wasn’t going to play against us…

If Grealish had gone to Italy or Spain, I don’t think a single one of us would have blamed him…

but he went up the road and will be trying to actively beat us, possibly cost us trophies and medals… potentially (if worst comes to worst) even relegate us… and he would be happy to do so as long as he gets his own personal success…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DJ_Villain said:

Absolutely not. He left for Champions League football and wasn’t going to play against us…

If Grealish had gone to Italy or Spain, I don’t think a single one of us would have blamed him…

but he went up the road and will be trying to actively beat us, possibly cost us trophies and medals… potentially (if worst comes to worst) even relegate us… and he would be happy to do so as long as he gets his own personal success…

This is mental 😂

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This is mental 😂

Why is it mental?

Picture it… we are in the relegation zone at the end of the season when Man City come to Villa Park…

City need to win to win the title… Villa need a draw to stay up…

Ball ends up at Grealishs feet with an open goal in front of him with 95.55 on the clock and only 6 minutes of stoppage time…

He’s a professional… so he is going to score… and he has just won them the league…

He will celebrate and love it…

But, at the moment, he is pedalling the whole “I’m Villa through and through, please still love me, I’m still same old Jack” narrative…

He’s trying to have his cake and eat it to preserve his boy-next-door public image that he has gained for himself since he was being tapped up at the Euros

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

Why is it mental?

Picture it… we are in the relegation zone at the end of the season when Man City come to Villa Park…

Ball ends up at Grealishs feet with an open goal in front of him with 95.55 on the clock and only 6 minutes of stoppage time…

He’s a professional… so he is going to score… and he has just won them the league…

But, at the moment, he is pedalling the whole “I’m Villa through and through, please still love me, I’m still same old Jack” narrative…

He’s trying to have his cake and eat it to preserve his boy-next-door public image that he has gained for himself since he was being tapped up at the Euros

Of course he'll score. He's a professional footballer and winning the league. That doesn't mean he's not a Villa fan? 

His goal wouldn't be the reason we went down... it would be the previous 37 games that got us to that point. 

You're worrying about a scenario that will never likely happen. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

Why is it mental?

He's a professional.

If he went to Real Madrid and we continue to imprive then you might get the same situation in the Champions League in a few years.

Why does it matter?

You're basically saying he has to play for Villa forever. it's nonsense

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

He's a professional.

If he went to Real Madrid and we continue to imprive then you might get the same situation in the Champions League in a few years.

Why does it matter?

You're basically saying he has to play for Villa forever. it's nonsense

I didnt say that... at all...

In fact, I literally said:
"If Grealish had gone to Italy or Spain, I don’t think a single one of us would have blamed him…"

Just now, DJ_Villain said:

I didnt say that... at all...

In fact, I literally said:
"If Grealish had gone to Italy or Spain, I don’t think a single one of us would have blamed him…"

But the scenario you're trying to avoid could happen if he went to Spain as well, on a bigger stage. So therefore he can't go anywhere unless it's somewhere he's guaranteed never to play Villa?

Just makes no sense to me. What does it matter?

18 minutes ago, Xela said:

Of course he'll score. He's a professional footballer and winning the league. That doesn't mean he's not a Villa fan? 

His goal wouldn't be the reason we went down... it would be the previous 37 games that got us to that point. 

You're worrying about a scenario that will never likely happen. 

Would you be happy to score the deciding goal that sent Villa down if it meant you got a shiney little medal and you could raise a trophy with all your new friends?

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But the scenario you're trying to avoid could happen if he went to Spain as well, on a bigger stage. So therefore he can't go anywhere unless it's somewhere he's guaranteed never to play Villa?

Just makes no sense to me. What does it matter?

But we arent in Europe at the moment are we? We are in the Premier League and have made improvements every year since the owners took over... and our talisman got tapped up on international duty and ditched us, and is now contractually obliged to try to beat us twice a season...

If it was just in cup competitions, and it was the luck of the draw that we ended up playing against him (like in Europe) then thats just bad luck... but to willingly give up our clubs captaincy, and want to go to another club in the same country and still spit this bullshit mantra of "Im Villa through and through"?

Im not buying it... No Villa fan would ever willingly want to do that... I've said it before and I will say it again... I am a Villa fan... Not a football fan, not an England fan... I have no love for any other team... I'd rather win a throw in for Villa than any number of medals for any other English club...

If his contract had run out and he was being forced out by management even though he wanted to stay (like Albrighton and Carew), I would have wished him well

If his contract was running out and he went abroad (like Mellberg), I would have wished him well...

If injury or sickness stopped his career and he had to retire (like Laursen and Petrov), I would have wished him well...

Grealish has blotted his copy book.... and he wont care what we think because he gets to win his trophies... Bully for him...

But as soon as a journalist gives him short shrift and ruffles his feathers, he didnt like it one bit...
He doesnt love or support our club... He just didnt want to have bad publicity for ditching us... So he tried to butter us up with "See you soons", "Up the Villas" and "Villa till I dies" etc

• Haha 1

Â