The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

but them 2 transfers were a rival move, this is a one sided emotional transfer. Closest one to this would have been Gerrard to Chelsea

Funnily enough I was thinking about that failed move. Perhaps we should have got some gangsters to have a word with JG ;) 

6 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

From our POV, it was nice having one of the very best players in the league playing for Villa after finally returning to the top table after such a miserable decade. He was one of us and ours. Not only one of the best in the league but in my opinion the best in that England Euro squad too. Then we saw the whole nation back him like we always do. Now he’s gone, and to the club that in our eyes, has taken plenty from us in the past to set us back; and what started that awful decline all those years ago.

The optimism of this ownership group and everything seemingly on the up and up made many think this wouldnt happen, especially not this year, so those insecurities have returned like a reflex “Why cant Villa sustain good times and progress and keep the their best players”. Thats why many including myself are butthurt. No shame in saying it either, sick of hearing people tell us he’s too good for Villa, he wont stay there to not win trophies. We never will unless we keep elite talents like Grealish. We knew he was the perfect one in a million type that was a fan, was world class, could attract names to our club, improved those around him, had the marketability, the swagger we love to see; now its all gone and to that plastic club that have everything their own way. It pisses people off. At the same time it wasnt healthy seeing everyone constantly clamour for him, it all had an air of inevitability about it so at least thats over. 

Yeah, sapped the wind right out of me football-wise. It was all coming together perfectly, and then we get this kick in the teeth that probably set us back 12-18 months best case scenario. It'll be a while yet before Villa have one of the best players in the world playing for us. We're lucky we got to experience it while in the bottom half/Championship because he was a fan.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Grealish has become a man who believes his own bullshit. I hope he gets married soon. Needs a a good spouse to tell him when he making an ass of himself.

The annoying thing is he have the ability to back up his arrogance. 

I thought he was outstanding for England the other day. 

• Like 1

He'd be better off speaking the truth instead of this nonsense PR spin. His agency have a lot to do with the release clause and he will just go along with it.

The problem he will always have is the loaded questions these journos like to ask, anything that bigs up Man City, England potential etc will make him look bad to Villa.

As I said before, he will win things and play in bigger games but looking back it won't be as enjoyable. He didn't touch the ball v Arsenal for the first 20 mins.

13 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

From our POV, it was nice having one of the very best players in the league playing for Villa after finally returning to the top table after such a miserable decade. He was one of us and ours. Not only one of the best in the league but in my opinion the best in that England Euro squad too. Then we saw the whole nation back him like we always do. Now he’s gone, and to the club that in our eyes, has taken plenty from us in the past to set us back; and what started that awful decline all those years ago.

The optimism of this ownership group and everything seemingly on the up and up made many think this wouldnt happen, especially not this year, so those insecurities have returned like a reflex “Why cant Villa sustain good times and progress and keep the their best players”. Thats why many including myself are butthurt. No shame in saying it either, sick of hearing people tell us he’s too good for Villa, he wont stay there to not win trophies. We never will unless we keep elite talents like Grealish. We knew he was the perfect one in a million type that was a fan, was world class, could attract names to our club, improved those around him, had the marketability, the swagger we love to see; now its all gone and to that plastic club that have everything their own way. It pisses people off. At the same time it wasnt healthy seeing everyone constantly clamour for him, it all had an air of inevitability about it so at least thats over. 

I think we're on the same page regards this whole tainted perception of AVFC by pretty much everyone. We had a chance in 1980-82, we were back big time, but then Ellis progressively destroyed that for me over his 35+ years of mediocrity & lack of ambition.... and this is the issue! A whole generation were brainwashed into seeing Villa as a mediocre Mid- table team which lacked ambition. Purely a reflection on his time here. (I will add that despite this we still got a few League cup wins in that time & a couple of Finals / 2nd place finishes whilst often playing in Europe too which considering this was during our "down time" is surely a testament to the potential size of the club as many clubs have less than that over their entire history! This did gradually diminish though over the noughties & up until Ellis's reign ended and this is the main perception of AVFC people now carry with them)

Most people however who are alive under 40 , which includes all current players and many pundits as well as most game-attending fans, have only ever known AVFC to be what the current perception is. This is the issue for me. 

To change that perception we simply have to find a way to challenge for trophies & get into Europe then ideally the Champions League. Start to do this consistently and then & only then will that perception slowly change back. 

As it stands the modern day fan/pundit/player just cannot comperehend how big AVFC was/potentially can be. They are consistently brainwashed by Sky & the media in general that only 4/6 teams are worthy in this country. The scummy 6 effectively. The agenda is atrocious and somehow the bias & corruption towards these clubs needs to be stopped (Even if it does mean a temporary drop in viewing figures from flipping China etc).

Grealish speaks of "The real football World", well there it is for me. It's a World where they actually are obsessed with those 6 scummy clubs who would obliterate all the others for their own greed if they had it their own way!... Heck they nearly did just that!

#endpremierleaguecorruption

Edited by danceoftheshamen

1 minute ago, hippo said:

The only way we can become a big club is to incrementally attract bigger and bigger players. You can already see the results - mid table championship to mid table prem. 

There is a worrying amount of evidence that we have strayed from this strategy though.

Is there? 

we could do nothing about selling Grealish due to the release clause. We’ve spent that money on three good players (Buendia, Bailey and Ings - do you think we could’ve signed any of these last season???) and have invested in the youth set up that already is paying dividends and supplementing the first team.

There’s no way we could attract a player of Grealish’s ilk as a replacement yet but we are still a great club to play for, with international recognition available to many of our squad already. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Depends how you define brilliant. Brilliant enough to get 14th place?

Nothing really against those we have signed - but there isn't enough of them to push on.

We’ve lost one extremely gifted player and signed 5 very good ones. The benefit to our squad as a whole will be significant but it will still take time.

FWIW, I don’t think we’ll finish  higher than last season either but we’re dealing with some big setbacks. I’m not sure our current best 11 will even have trained together yet never mind played together.

Our progress has been delayed not ended. Cheer up.

• Like 1

If Grealish would have remained fit last season we’d have finished higher without a doubt . Outside chance of 6th but more than likely 7-8th . That’s how fine the margins were last season . Wouldn’t surprise me if we finish higher than last season . 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

We’ve lost one extremely gifted player and signed 5 very good ones. The benefit to our squad as a whole will be significant but it will still take time.

FWIW, I don’t think we’ll finish  higher than last season either but we’re dealing with some big setbacks. I’m not sure our current best 11 will even have trained together yet never mind played together.

Our progress has been delayed not ended. Cheer up.

Depends on future windows. 

Don't forget the transfer window is are relatively  new thing. We used sign players all through the season and they were expected (and often did) hit the ground running

Seems to me the direction of the club has changed though.  

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

Don't forget the transfer window is are relatively  new thing. We used sign players all through the season and they were expected (and often did) hit the ground running

Yep - the transfer window only came in in 2002, some 19 years ago so understandable why we may not have got the hang of it yet 😂😂😂😂

I still don’t see what direction change our  club has made yet?? Still signing players and improving the squad (on the whole) and pushing to improve the youth set up too. Neither a bad thing IMO 

7 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

If Grealish would have remained fit last season we’d have finished higher without a doubt . Outside chance of 6th but more than likely 7-8th . That’s how fine the margins were last season . Wouldn’t surprise me if we finish higher than last season . 

We actually had started playing worse and dropping down the table right before his injury.

I just think Smith ran that team to the ground. Started the same 11 players every week and ultimately it came at a price.

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

Leon Bailey got an assist within 20 mins of making his debut. Danny Ings, Ashley Young and Axel Tuanzebe have hit the ground running, Buendia got injured during pre season and has only just looked fully fit. They should not be written off just because they’re not JG.

I don’t think the direction has changed but possibly the accelerator pedal has been lifted because we’re no longer in a race against time to keep one player happy.

• Like 2

Thought he changed the game when he came on.

Doing his usual Grealish stuff. Running at them, dragging players to him all over the pitch. Creating tons of space for others.

Your average football fan won't see that. They will only look at the players who scores the goals, but Jack have a really special talent.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We actually had started playing worse and dropping down the table right before his injury.

I just think Smith ran that team to the ground. Started the same 11 players every week and ultimately it came at a price.

Yes we did I remember now, but we’d  had still got more points which would have taken us 7-8th. Not that it means anything now . 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Yes we did I remember now, but we’d  had still got more points which would have taken us 7-8th. Not that it means anything now . 

I think one of the mistakes was Smith persisting with Barkley for far too long when it was obvious he was miles off it.

Potentially costed us a few points only that.

Edited by villalad21

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I think one of the mistakes was Smith persisting with Barkley for far too long when it was obvious he was miles off it.

Potentially costed us a few points only that.

We’ll probably score more goals this season than last . Whether that’s enough I’m not sure. 

On 04/09/2021 at 13:57, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Here’s the interview from Preece’s opinion if anyone missed it

"Kevin de Bruyne, he's what, 30, or 29? ... I'm 25, I've got 3, 4, 5 years until I reach his age"

Zach Galifianakis Thinking GIF - The Hangover Zach Galifianakis Math -  Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

Leon Bailey got an assist within 20 mins of making his debut. Danny Ings, Ashley Young and Axel Tuanzebe have hit the ground running, Buendia got injured during pre season and has only just looked fully fit. They should not be written off just because they’re not JG.

I don’t think the direction has changed but possibly the accelerator pedal has been lifted because we’re no longer in a race against time to keep one player happy.

Agreed.

What I meant was lack of training time together shouldn't be used as an excuse. 

10 hours ago, villalad21 said:

The annoying thing is he have the ability to back up his arrogance. 

I thought he was outstanding for England the other day. 

Oh he is a superb player but we have both known that for years before the media have caught up.  I have no doubt he will succeed. I just think he would benefit from being a bit more professional.

• Like 1

Â