The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

Footballers are overpaid and live in this surreal world which is now so far removed from the real one that I dont give a toss about them or care about their opinions on poverty, politics or anything. They are just footballers to me and they perform well on the pitch thats all that matters. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Yea I wouldn't call them pathetic, they're just very frustrated at losing a great player, a great player who actually loved playing for us.

It's really sad, but I understand his decision. 

but wanted to play for Man city more, while he was playing for us.....that's the bit I am struggling with.....I feel a bit betrayed.

Look, I get all the money and razzamatazz, the profile and the box office platform.....I personally struggle with him wanting all that, while playing for us and supposedly giving his all.

We also don't know the "TRUE " feelings of his team mates and did it affect them?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TRO said:

but wanted to play for Man city more, while he was playing for us.....that's the bit I am struggling with.....I feel a bit betrayed.

Look, I get all the money and razzamatazz, the profile and the box office platform.....I personally struggle with him wanting all that, while playing for us and supposedly giving his all.

We also don't know the "TRUE " feelings of his team mates and did it affect them?

Like anything, the more you do something, the less special it becomes.

But I don't doubt that he's been proud to play/captain for our club - whatsoever. 

But like a lot of pro's, their career is defined by things they win and a lot of them move to clubs they think have more chance of winning things. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Like anything, the more you do something, the less special it becomes.

But I don't doubt that he's been proud to play/captain for our club - whatsoever. 

But like a lot of pro's, their career is defined by things they win and a lot of them move to clubs they think have more chance of winning things. 

I have been married for 45 years, so I wouldn't know.

seriously....There is so much about Jacks move, I get, and I would maybe do the same....but there are things, that I am not so comfortable with too.....I guess fans will make their own minds up.

I will never see Jack in the same light, but thats just me.

1 hour ago, Panto_Villan said:

If you're booing the pantomime villain then fine, but I think a lot of people aren't viewing it as theatre when they boo. They genuinely dislike someone for having done something that's actually quite understandable.

Add to that that the person playing a pantomime villain is an actor playing a role, whereas footballers aren't actors. You're booing a real person for your entertainment. Which is fine if the player is deliberately playing the role (e.g. Troy Deeney) but if not, why do it? Especially when you'll be doing it alongside people who genuinely hate him.

Viewing it as a pantomime, and calling him a pantomime villain, is at least logically consistent. But what people need to remember is that pantomime villains don't remain meekly silent; if we are settling into that relationship, then people need to be prepared for him to criticise the club in interviews, or to kiss the badge or cup his ears or shush the crowd when he scores in front of the Holte.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I have been married for 45 years, so I wouldn't know.

seriously....There is so much about Jacks move, I get, and I would maybe do the same....but there are things, that I am not so comfortable with too.....I guess fans will make their own minds up.

I will never see Jack in the same light, but thats just me.

Of course there are exceptions (I'd certainly hope!) like wives, husbands, kids etc - things that do particularly matter in life.

Football is a passion for me, and I've had to teach myself not to be too bothered or annoyed by things within that passion which I cannot control i.e. results/transfers etc.  I certainly try not to let football define who I am (like I see people with tattoo's, calling their kids Aston etc etc), not that there's anything wrong with it.

I've other interests and passions, but I spend a **** load of time/energy on Villa, like VT for example. 

Again, just to reiterate, I'm extremely sad Jack's left, like I've outlined in a post a page or two back, but when I objectively think about it; I.e. a 25 year old man who's already played for, scored for, captained to promotion and had 2 good seasons in the Prem for HIS CLUB.  I can KIND OF understand why he'd want to see if he can go and get silverware where it's almost to the point, expected. 

He's been there, done it and got the commemorative promotion t-shirt for Villa. 

For every night like when we beat Everton 2-0 upon our return, there are 10 games against other opponents where our fan base are basically, a bunch of **** pricks to the team on that day, like if Anwar misplaces a pass, if Taylor mishits another cross, if Hutton puts it out of place or if Wesley has a bad game - as a pro that shit grates on you week after week "some support, this". 

"may as well go and win some medals". 

I'll say again as well - I don't think it was Jack that sat in those meetings and said "erm.. Can I have a release clause put in please?"

His agents would have suggested it. 

I don't get that he was somehow "angling" for a move, I just think the opportunity came up and he's made a decision. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

I'm really excited to see how Smith and the players perform next season without everything going through Jack, and without Jack's injuries being the only thing we worry about.

My take is that Jack just enjoys playing football, and especially enjoys playing football with really elite players.

He always sounded most convincing in interviews when he was talking about his love of players like KDB and so on, and least convincing when he rolled out the old "obviously as a Villa fan obviously obviously bla bla it means more to me bla bla obviously".

We don't have a good enough squad to give Jack what he wants. I don't think it's the money (he'd be ludicrously rich either way)... I think he just literally wants to play football at an elite level with elite teammates, and see what he's capable of.

He's probably looked at Harry Kane's situation, and thought, **** that.

Do I wish he hadn't said "my club my city" and would just stfu with the weird interviews (crying like Messi lol)? Yes, obviously. It's all a bit unconvincing, feels like he's getting a lot of PR advice, but doesn't know how to act on it, so just comes across as dishonest.

Do I give a shit anymore? No, not really. He's left us in pretty good shape, and hasn't embarrassed the club with his actions. We can now compete within FFP rules, we have a more balanced squad, and we've cashed in on a player who was turning into an annual circus attraction.

I'll miss watching him play for Villa, but we move on.

Hear hear, pretty much where I sit on this as well 

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

I'm really excited to see how Smith and the players perform next season without everything going through Jack, and without Jack's injuries being the only thing we worry about.

My take is that Jack just enjoys playing football, and especially enjoys playing football with really elite players.

He always sounded most convincing in interviews when he was talking about his love of players like KDB and so on, and least convincing when he rolled out the old "obviously as a Villa fan obviously obviously bla bla it means more to me bla bla obviously".

We don't have a good enough squad to give Jack what he wants. I don't think it's the money (he'd be ludicrously rich either way)... I think he just literally wants to play football at an elite level with elite teammates, and see what he's capable of.

He's probably looked at Harry Kane's situation, and thought, **** that.

Do I wish he hadn't said "my club my city" and would just stfu with the weird interviews (crying like Messi lol)? Yes, obviously. It's all a bit unconvincing, feels like he's getting a lot of PR advice, but doesn't know how to act on it, so just comes across as dishonest.

Do I give a shit anymore? No, not really. He's left us in pretty good shape, and hasn't embarrassed the club with his actions. We can now compete within FFP rules, we have a more balanced squad, and we've cashed in on a player who was turning into an annual circus attraction.

I'll miss watching him play for Villa, but we move on.

I can drink to that.

1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

It must be to do with medals ( although A.Young was still winning them at 30+ ) it cant be for the $$$ cause,how much do you need ? he is already a millionare.

That’s not how it works… Trust me, you always find something else you want at every level, until you maybe get to Jeff Bezos levels of wealth…

20 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I don't buy this "we hate every good player that leaves us" argument. Benteke was definitely not hated when he left, and while Milner and Young got a bit of stick (the latter mostly because he dived against us the following season), there wasn't really much hatred there, and indeed Young's been welcomed back with open arms. It's all about the wider context. I mean, if we'd have only just scraped safety again last season I guarantee most wouldn't have much of a problem with Grealish if he left.

I think this is true as well. The timing of his departure sucks as much as anything. 

2 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

If you're booing the pantomime villain then fine, but I think a lot of people aren't viewing it as theatre when they boo. They genuinely dislike someone for having done something that's actually quite understandable.

Add to that that the person playing a pantomime villain is an actor playing a role, whereas footballers aren't actors. You're booing a real person for your entertainment. Which is fine if the player is deliberately playing the role (e.g. Troy Deeney) but if not, why do it? Especially when you'll be doing it alongside people who genuinely hate him.

Is it just me or is booing the most ridiculous thing ever? I mean the actual noise. Boo! Boo! I’ve never done it as whenever I’ve listened to other people do it, they just sound a bit strange. 

I can totally see why he’s always said it spurs him one. If someone did it to me, I’d just want to wind them up more for fun.

Â