The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I find the insistence that booing is pathetic and he did nothing wrong and the continued ramming of it down other fans' throats more bizarre to be honest,  but agree to disagree :) 

Who's ramming it down fans' throats? It's my opinion, I stated it as that. people can do what they want.

He hasn't done nothing wrong, I agree with whoever said earlier that he could have recorded a more heartfelt message or addressed the fans directly. But ultimately I don't see how he could have done much differently and don't agree that he left on bad terms.

Just now, lapal_fan said:

I can understand why he'd be booed, he did choose to leave us afterall. 

But I wouldn't boo personally because I acknowledge that he was a premier league top 4 player playing for us in the Championship and took on A LOT of responsibility through leadership to get us promoted. 

This is where I am, but if people want to boo then that's their right, and calling them pathetic is... pathetic IMO.

• Like 1

Simply put, we as a club now have to get to that level to keep hold of top players. Jack is world class, that talent needs to play at the highest level so clubs already there will always identify that and look to sign them. Boyhood fan or not. Luckily, we have owners hellbent on taking us there. 

its just super frustrating that he was OUR poster boy. We had the hottest property with marketability like no other. City just took him like that and now that avenue of putting Villa on the map disappears.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

This is where I am, but if people want to boo then that's their right, and calling them pathetic is... pathetic IMO.

Yea I wouldn't call them pathetic, they're just very frustrated at losing a great player, a great player who actually loved playing for us.

It's really sad, but I understand his decision. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's not bizarre to be emotionally involved and be gutted/disappointed/angry etc

I'm devastated that he's left. I felt sick seeing him in a Man City shirt.

But I like to think on VT that we're a bit more logical and sensible and we can cut through that emotion to see the reason behind people's decisions. There's a difference between being emotional and angry and actually booing a player. it just seems bizarre to me after how sensational Grealish was for us and how he's left, that people would feel the need to boo him. If Grealish gets booed then there's no hope for anyone.

People are entitled to do it, but I'm entitled to say I think it's pathetic

When it comes to the Villa, I have absolutely no need or desire to cut through the emotion. The Villa is nothing but emotion. 

You are entitled to do so, but I point you to my previous analogy about «understanding» the pantomime villain. It just doesn’t seem very fun. 

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The bit about him knowing for months has been what's really wound me up. We know it happens, but it's ridiculous how flagrantly tapping up occurs these days.

You just know the "banter" they have when they're lying around boozing on those yachts in Dubai in July.

"let's count how many medals you got then brah!" 

Just now, lapal_fan said:

You just know the "banter" they have when they're lying around boozing on those yachts in Dubai in July.

"let's count how many medals you got then brah!" 

I'm sure it happens all the time on international duty as well. I don't think there was anything particularly unusual about this transfer other than Grealish being thick enough, even by footballer standards, to publicly acknowledge it. 

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Every world class footballer worth their salt negotiates release clauses these days. he could easily have insisted on an 80m release clause. Or a 70m release clause.

He could have not signed a new contract at all and he'd be going for far less.

Signing that contract has probably made us 20-30m.

Why shouldn't the club be threatened with Legal action if they were refusing to accept a bid that met a contractual release clause?!

I agree that we'd be far better with grealish and we'd have a chance of the top 6. But he's been offered essentially a premier league title, probably a cup and very possibly a champions league win. Not in 5 or 10 years IF everything goes absolutely perfectly for us. He's been offered it now. At the best club in Europe. Playing with some of the best players in Europe. For the best manager. Playing alongside his idol.

Even if everything goes amazingly for Villa, we wouldn't be able to offer him what he's being offered now for 10 years. And the chances of even that are minute.

It's not like he's **** us off for 50m to go to a club who have scraped into the champions league like Spurs or Leicester

Harry Kane probably wishes he had.

24 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Every world class footballer worth their salt negotiates release clauses these days. he could easily have insisted on an 80m release clause. Or a 70m release clause.

He could have not signed a new contract at all and he'd be going for far less.

Signing that contract has probably made us 20-30m.

Why shouldn't the club be threatened with Legal action if they were refusing to accept a bid that met a contractual release clause?!

I agree that we'd be far better with grealish and we'd have a chance of the top 6. But he's been offered essentially a premier league title, probably a cup and very possibly a champions league win. Not in 5 or 10 years IF everything goes absolutely perfectly for us. He's been offered it now. At the best club in Europe. Playing with some of the best players in Europe. For the best manager. Playing alongside his idol.

Even if everything goes amazingly for Villa, we wouldn't be able to offer him what he's being offered now for 10 years. And the chances of even that are minute.

It's not like he's **** us off for 50m to go to a club who have scraped into the champions league like Spurs or Leicester

Not sure about that. There wasn't a clause in his old one, he had 4 years left, and we didn't want or need to sell. He'd have probably had to hand in a transfer request

1 hour ago, El Zen said:

When it comes to the Villa, I have absolutely no need or desire to cut through the emotion. The Villa is nothing but emotion. 

You are entitled to do so, but I point you to my previous analogy about «understanding» the pantomime villain. It just doesn’t seem very fun. 

If you're booing the pantomime villain then fine, but I think a lot of people aren't viewing it as theatre when they boo. They genuinely dislike someone for having done something that's actually quite understandable.

Add to that that the person playing a pantomime villain is an actor playing a role, whereas footballers aren't actors. You're booing a real person for your entertainment. Which is fine if the player is deliberately playing the role (e.g. Troy Deeney) but if not, why do it? Especially when you'll be doing it alongside people who genuinely hate him.

11 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

If you're booing the pantomime villain then fine, but I think a lot of people aren't viewing it as theatre when they boo. They genuinely dislike someone for having done something that's actually quite understandable.

Add to that that the person playing a pantomime villain is an actor playing a role, whereas footballers aren't actors. You're booing a real person for your entertainment. Which is fine if the player is deliberately playing the role (e.g. Troy Deeney) but if not, why do it? Especially when you'll be doing it alongside people who genuinely hate him.

I’m sorry, but footballers are entertainers. Their frankly embarrassing wealth comes from the money we pay to be entertained by them, and the only return we get for that money is emotional. 

I do not feel the slightest bit sorry for footballers in Jack’s place being booed for their decisions.  It’s a decision they’ve made and a situation they can handle. They should, frankly, accept that being booed and even genuinely disliked by opposition fans is part of the entertainment business they make their money in. If you take that out of football, it becomes very sterile very fast. 

Edited by El Zen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â