The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

10 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Sadly I think Grealish will end up being a much bigger loss for us then I initially thought.

I think what will be clear is that he papered over some massive cracks in our play and squad. The squad is going to end up with better players in it because he has gone. How many better players we need in order to match or surpass last season is unknown. 

I am at the point of positivity though, hopefully we use the cash wisely. I will however miss watching him play.

All the talk of him going means he wasnt that big of a Villa fan or was lying last season is overt the top. He quite clearly is a massive fan his ambition is just above where we are and where we may get to in the next few years. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Nicho said:

I think what will be clear is that he papered over some massive cracks in our play and squad. The squad is going to end up with better players in it because he has gone. How many better players we need in order to match or surpass last season is unknown. 

I am at the point of positivity though, hopefully we use the cash wisely. I will however miss watching him play.

All the talk of him going means he wasnt that big of a Villa fan or was lying last season is overt the top. He quite clearly is a massive fan his ambition is just above where we are and where we may get to in the next few years. 

This, exactly. I think he really did mean what he said in his interview after signing his new deal at Villa last summer: that he really believed in and was excited by the project of bringing Villa back to the top. I also believe things changed over the past twelve months, having his head turned and being "tapped up" by his mates while on England duty, wanting to play European football now in his prime, wanting to play in the World Cup, etc. He just could have handled this whole situation differently for us, the fans, and I think that is what disappoints us most and has burned some bridges.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Southgate told him many time to leave Villa. I know this for a fact.

Why would he? He uses Declan Rice, Kalvin Phillips, Jordan Pickford. He’s capped Mings, and Watkins, Konsa is on the radar. Why would he be so desperate for Jack to leave? Is it again to get him used to playing at a higher (CL) level. Or because he thinks he’s wasnt coached properly/to his full potential at Villa (might be true to be fair).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Why would he? He uses Declan Rice, Kalvin Phillips, Jordan Pickford. He’s capped Mings, and Watkins, Konsa is on the radar. Why would he be so desperate for Jack to leave? Is it again to get him used to playing at a higher (CL) level. Or because he thinks he’s wasnt coached properly/to his full potential at Villa (might be true to be fair).

Wanted Jack in a team that spent large periods on top rather than counter attacking cut and thrust football. Southgate is tactically inept anyway his opinions are gibberish 

1 hour ago, deck said:

To cut him a bit of slack, I always took that reply ("I don't know what that means") to mean he didn't know what Dean Smith meant by calling him that, not that he didn't know what the word itself meant.

Correct. 

1 hour ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

💀

Yuck, it's difficult to watch.

They had to emphasise: "Our, number 10, OUR boy in blue"....

I never really liked Citeh always been a bit of a non-existent club in the Thirty-five odd years I've been a Villa fan; I do kind of despise them now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

I don’t think any of us thought he was worth £100m in terms of talent, just £100m to us as he was our talisman, captain and impossible to replace (at least as a single player).

All in all the price was right for everyone. I do get the feeling he will flop though.

I think in terms of pure footballing ability/potential the £100m is slightly inflated (which is maybe what Purslow mean by setting a release clause they hoped no one would meet). But once you factor branding/marketing potential I think his value comfortably is above that - he almost added £20m to his value from his PR during the Euros alone which took his stardom/celebrity status beyond anything I'd seen for a Villa player. I actually wonder whether his agent pushed him a bit on that front - i.e. "the £100m is a bit steep so get your face out there a bit more to boost your worth" -  he seemed to be doing interviews every day during the Euros and far more than any other player which was a bit odd for a someone on the bench. 

There's a bit of a missed opportunity there for us because keeping him post Euros would have potentially been massive for boosting our brand/base globally. But once players get to that degree of stardom the player then becomes way bigger than the club which maybe isn't healthy. I wonder if City aren't actually the best choice for him in that respect - Guardiola 's undoubtedly an outstanding coach but I'm not sure he's ever had to handle such a massive individual brand/personality before (Messi was much younger/humbler when he worked for Guardiola).

Grealish always struck me as much more of a Utd type player in that respect who have a history of handling those big star brands (Beckham, Ronaldo etc.). 

48 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

If he knew what the word meant surely he knows what Smith meant 😆 

To be fair, I don't even know what Smith meant. Encyclopedia of football? So he knows everything there is to know about football?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JPJCB said:

Grealish always struck me as much more of a Utd type player in that respect who have a history of handling those big star brands (Beckham, Ronaldo etc.). 

But Ronaldo and Beckham both grew at Utd though before really becoming massive names. Pep definitely has a history of handling the big names, didn’t he buy Ibrahimovic, Alves, Fabregas, David Villa whilst at Barca to name but a few? 

Edited by Tayls

12 minutes ago, Tayls said:

But Ronaldo and Beckham both grew at Utd though before really becoming massive names. Pep definitely has a history of handling the big names, didn’t he buy Ibrahimovic, Alves, Fabregas, David Villa whilst at Barca to name but a few? 

Fergie bought Rooney. He was one of the hottest talents in world football then, despite his age. 

24 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Ibrahimovic who he fell out with, same with Etoo. Alves wasnt so big when he signed for Barca and could argue Villa wasnt a superstar in the ego way

Â