The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You don’t spend a 100m on a player for him to be just another squad player. I don’t care who you are. 

Not if the player meets your expectations. However transfers can flop. Which would be a real shame for man City, but our 100M will comfort us :)

• Like 2

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

I agree . They have spent 100m on him to be starting more often than not, not to be an impact player by coming off the bench with 20 mins to go. Rotation is also important when you are going for the league title, champions league and then you have the domestic cups which will be just viewed as an added bonus should they win them. 

My point is people think he is that player that makes the difference. With all City’s brilliance they still have reliance on KDB to make that difference. That is a one of the best players around, people think Jacks on his level, I don’t think he is and have never done so. I’ve said that many times but it was almost blasphemous to even suggest that.  That’s my point. 

• Like 1

Question - has anyone ever won the domestic runners-up / losers treble of League Cup, FA Cup and Community Shield before they won their first major trophy?

Keep writing your name in the record books Jack.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I wonder if fans of the ‘smaller’ clubs are fed up of seeing players continually having their heads turned by stupid amounts of money?

Grealish is the latest in a long line of players who leave perfectly good clubs, on perfectly good money to chase the ‘dream’ of playing champions league football. 

We have done that to players though. Signed championship clubs top players to come and play in the premier league which is probably a dream come true for those players. We are just on the opposite end of the deal, which isn’t the first time. Once they started making the champions league 4 teams from England it started going downhill with players prioritising that over winning trophies and wanting to leave perfectly good clubs. You never had none of that when it was just champions entering. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

My point is people think he is that player that makes the difference. With all City’s brilliance they still have reliance on KDB to make that difference. That is a one of the best players around, people think Jacks on his level, I don’t think he is and have never done so. I’ve said that many times but it was almost blasphemous to even suggest that.  That’s my point. 

No he hasn't KDB'S range of passing but nobody has

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

We have done that to players though. Signed championship clubs top players to come and play in the premier league which is probably a dream come true for those players. We are just on the opposite end of the deal, which isn’t the first time. Once they started making the champions league 4 teams from England it started going downhill with players prioritising that over winning trophies and wanting to leave perfectly good clubs. You never had none of that when it was just champions entering. 

That's a very good point. If it were just the champions who entered, 1 team could only have so many players. In a way, Champions League football becomes even more alluring because it's a lot more out of reach for most players. I guess you can still sign for teams who you think will fight for the title, but there's no such thing as "guaranteed CL football", as the title itself isn't guaranteed every year. You'd have to go to those 1-club competitions abroad and join the likes of Bayern etc. Overall I think the game would benefit, at least in England. 

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think he can play a part and add strength and depth to their team . KDB is a league above. If KDB moved from city now no chance would he go for 100m . You’d be looking at more no probs. Jack was rated at 45m before last season. He was kind of unproven at prem level. He then proved himself to be a top prem player and we overvalued him at 100m in the hope that it would put teams off. 

I do think they are the type of owners who would have spent £100m to have someone who is not necessarily a main fixture.

He has been the most talked about player for the past season whose name has blown up at the euros...and will commercially be very good for them wilst still being good enough to offer something on the pitch when he's on.

City strike me as a club with 'I want that one, now' type thinking.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I think he can play a part and add strength and depth to their team . KDB is a league above. If KDB moved from city now no chance would he go for 100m . You’d be looking at more no probs. Jack was rated at 45m before last season. He was kind of unproven at prem level. He then proved himself to be a top prem player and we overvalued him at 100m in the hope that it would put teams off. 

Mate our fans were talking about Grealish wining the Ballon d’or. 

They have paid 100m for him because he is a marketing dream. But he has to follow it up with the performances. Let’s see if it can.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

That's a very good point. If it were just the champions who entered, 1 team could only have so many players. In a way, Champions League football becomes even more alluring because it's a lot more out of reach for most players. I guess you can still sign for teams who you think will fight for the title, but there's no such thing as "guaranteed CL football", as the title itself isn't guaranteed every year. You'd have to go to those 1-club competitions abroad and join the likes of Bayern etc. Overall I think the game would benefit, at least in England. 

Exactly how I see it . It’s part of the decline of the premier league. I have no interest in it now, and it was far more glamorous when it was champions only. Clubs finishing 4th is more important than winning the fa cup and league cup double. Sorry state of affairs, but if you want to truly progress as a club nowadays top 4 is where you regularly need to be . Winning the fa cup every year gets you nowt and it doesn’t even improve your fan base really, not like finishing 4th does. 

3 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

of course, transfers always leave one set of fans saddened at the loss of a player. 

You are right about the Champions League and I think it doesn’t help that the media always imply a player cannot be fulfilled unless playing for one of the ‘big 6’ regardless of playing well and getting international recognition. 

It’s as if no other clubs matter… 

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Mate our fans were talking about Grealish wining the Ballon d’or. 

They have paid 100m for him because he is a marketing dream. But he has to follow it up with the performances. Let’s see if it can.

Well that’s delusional. Yep, be Interesting to watch the progress or lack of. 

1 minute ago, May-Z said:

I do think they are the type of owners who would have spent £100m to have someone who is not necessarily a main fixture.

He has been the most talked about player for the past season whose name has blown up at the euros...and will commercially be very good for them wilst still being good enough to offer something on the pitch when he's on.

City strike me as a club with 'I want that one, now' type thinking.

Exactly ! Do you think if he looked like Phil Jones they would have paid 100m for him? They are now basically what Real Madrid were around 10 years ago. 

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Well that’s delusional. Yep, be Interesting to watch the progress or lack of. 

It may well be but I think you’re forgetting what our fans thought of him. They really did believe  he was the best player in the Premier League.

1 hour ago, Tayls said:

How did he play? Why was he laughed at?  

He wasn't bad at all, got 25 mins and played some clever passes and with some usual good movement, but didn't do too much of worth either, tried to take the defender on a couple of times and was unsuccessfull and fell over a couple of times.

What was striking was that he looked like just another of the City players, when Bernardo Silva came on I couldn't tell who was the better, perhaps even Bernardo. And it striked me that to them he can't be worth so much more, not three times as much as Bernardo Silva for example, and I guess that's what their fans are seeing too (to us I'd still say he was worth £100M though).

1 minute ago, theboyangel said:

of course, transfers always leave one set of fans saddened at the loss of a player. 

You are right about the Champions League and I think it doesn’t help that the media always imply a player cannot be fulfilled unless playing for one of the ‘big 6’ regardless of playing well and getting international recognition. 

It’s as if no other clubs matter… 

Yep , one of the reasons why I’m saying **** it . Can’t be arsed with how football has gone . Covid gave me the excuse to stop going and I doubt I’ll be going back as a regular every other week fan. Picking and choosing my games now, at least until my lad is old enough where he shows more interest in wanting to go . I’d rather go 3.00 on a Saturday v palace than a Sunday game v Liverpool or City . 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Whether people think he’s overrated as a manager or not, if Grealish is as good as I and many others think he is, then he will improve playing under pep and playing in that team . This is what I said in my post, that although Jack is very good at what he does, he’s going to have to change his game and he will know that. Pep and his coaching staff will work on that. No doubt they have already spoke about this. It will take time. Don’t think they will spend 100m for him to be an impact player. 

Sorry, I wasn’t picking on your post To say you were wrong.  It’s equally possible that you’ll be right.  He’s a brilliant player, of this there is no doubt.

All I’m saying is that the situation at villa was such that he was given the stage to flourish.  So I don’t think that Pep will be able to improve him, rather I believe his game will regress.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

He wasn't bad at all, got 25 mins and played some clever passes and with some usual good movement, but didn't do too much of worth either, tried to take the defender on a couple of times and was unsuccessfull and fell over a couple of times.

What was striking was that he looked like just another of the City players, when Bernardo Silva came on I couldn't tell who was the better, perhaps even Bernardo. And it striked me that to them he can't be worth so much more, not three times as much as Bernardo Silva for example, and I guess that's what their fans are seeing too (to us I'd still say he was worth £100M though).

Silva is class and just as good as Grealish. Alway has been.  People say imagine how good Jack would be with better player but this is not just disrespectful to our players but also to the rest of the premier league.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It may well be but I think you’re forgetting what our fans thought of him. They really did believe  he was the best player in the Premier League.

Even at his best I never thought he came close . Was certainly a top 4 player at his best but, best player in league? Nah ..

54 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Still love grealish the player - that's not going to change

Still find grealish the character fairly charming and interesting

Hate the decision he has made (but can see the arguments for doing it)

Hate and despise man city and hope they win nothing and they go inter Milans direction at some point. 

Hate and despise the system for allowing city to get away with it. 

Very well put and my feelings too, with the addition of will like it if he flops. 

• Like 1

Â