The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

As good as he is, I do think he was/is a bit of a billy-big bollocks primadonna around the place. When he played, we forced the ball to him, and when he didn't play, the entire team looked lost.

I think this could be a good thing, as we'll have match winning quality across the forward line, not just one guy. Matching those wages would have been a disaster.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Over £350k a week? But the talk was that Villa offered more? 

I think the initial story was that he would get £200k and Villa offered £1 million a month.

I think as the Ings transfer has shown us…

the journos in this day and age know best to sod all. It’s a bygone profession - the investigative part. The numbers we have seen printed, with the exception of the release clause are fictional. 

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

As good as he is, I do think he was/is a bit of a billy-big bollocks primadonna around the place. When he played, we forced the ball to him, and when he didn't play, the entire team looked lost.

I think this could be a good thing, as we'll have match winning quality across the forward line, not just one guy. Matching those wages would have been a disaster.

For me it’s simply a question of how long it takes us to adapt.

by January I expect us to be a better all round side.

21 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Over £350k a week? But the talk was that Villa offered more? 

I think the initial story was that he would get £200k and Villa offered £1 million a month.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

You can quote the Sun and I can quote The Telegraph, don't know which is worse or believable.

True....... I'm just putting up what's out there.

I'm not sure any of it is the right numbers.

46 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

All that wasted frustration at the Euros and he was already off. 

The only reason I took notice, and it was little notice at that, was because Grealish, and even then he was only a bit part player.  You watch him get more game time now he’s gone to a big six club . 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

City weren’t going to take “no” for an answer from little old Aston Villa…

They were going to keep upping the bid and putting pressure on until they took what they wanted from us…

They are the sex offenders of world football

Basically gangsters of football. I just hope they use him well because he’s a class act. What they did with Delph was criminal . 

@El Zen picking up here due to being off topic in off topic…

I don’t see a huge difference between Man City blowing a fortune on our best player to what we (and other clubs) do picking up the best players from from the next tier down.

I don’t agree it’s impossible to compete with them because Leicester have proved you can if you’re run well and recruit well. 
Their shirt sponsorship deal isn’t in the top 10 biggest.

Them spending £100m on Grealish is just what we’re doing but ratcheted up to their relatively bigger income (which is proportionate to their success)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, R.Bear said:

How convenient. His nice words about Villa yesterday was nothing more than PR rubbish but today his words are a deep seated unsubtle dig at his former club.

The mental gymnastics in here are incredible 🙈

It's standard fan gymnastics when someone leaves. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

There were a lot of ups and downs, but if we choose to focus on the positives, in that time he captained the side for ten wins a row, helped us win a playoff final - the only thing we've won this millenium, apart from the Intertoto Cup - and scored the goal that saved our place in the Premier League. Just in that period, of little more than a year, we had more entertainment than we had had in most of the previous decade.

I know nobody is really in the mood for hearing it, and that the stories about 'plans' and 'projects' and 'trajectories' are too seductive for people to ignore, but if we step back and stop viewing this as being part of a journey to a destination (dominance of the game, naturally) and instead view this as a pastime that we do because it's entertaining, we got a lot of entertainment value out of Grealish. I think it's a healthier way to enjoy the game, and a perspective that allows some enjoyment even if we in all likelihood fail to ever get close to a European spot.

But this is also why it is so devastating for some of us...I do believe the club means (or meant) a lot something to him and his family. The emotion after the playoff final, after scoring against West Ham, etc. It was genuine emotion, that's why we believed he was one of our own. And it was even more important this last season, with our lives changed due to the covid situation. I know I wasn't the only one looking forward to our games every week as a return to some sort entertainment. Yes, our games, not Jack’s games, but none of us can deny that we looked forward even more so to seeing one of our own put on our shirt week in, week out, getting us off our seats with sublime entertainment. This helped many of us over the past year. But besides that, for years we told the world over and over again that this is a generational, entertaining talent and he is ours. They laughed at us. We backed him tooth and nail 24/7 even when having off the field problems or when getting snubbed for the English squad. They laughed at us some more. In the end, they were all singing his name and we were proud of one of our own. But it's clear now that it was more about "Jack Grealish gets/keeps Villa in the top flight" instead of just "Villa return to / stay in the top flight". It was more "Jack Grealish and Aston Villa" than "Aston Villa and Jack Grealish".

At the end of the day, this is our club and no single man is greater than the club--I mean, we just took Ings from his boyhood club. But that also makes it tougher...because unlike Ings we bought into the idea that Jack would go on to be synonymous with the club, entertaining us with his mesmerizing runs, dribbles, etc. for more years as we continued to get back to where we should be. I am definitely extremely excited with our new recruits and looking forward to seeing us this season, but definitely will miss the entertainment Jack brought to the pitch. If we were on the decline, fair game, but he has left us despite us being at our brightest point in a long time, which would have been even brighter if he was fit the whole season, and what has he gone for? Material gain by going to a club that blatantly breaks rules and who cares more about their image in Asia than they do in England. They won't support him the way we did, and won't appreciate him the way we did. And it hurts because I can't fathom the thought of him entertaining like that in City colours, and we've realized that a player who we supported through thick and thin has made Brand Grealish, which in all honesty would not be what it was today if we did not constantly back him so strongly, more important than us, and it's even worse by going to the club that since 2008 epitomizes everything that is wrong with modern football.

Edited by a-k
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

my final word on him

i'll take any bet with someone that we never hear of issues with his shins ever again...

What are you trying to suggest 🤔 that it was fake

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

What are you trying to suggest 🤔 that it was fake

yes...total BS

smith said it was a 'strange' injury. i don't think it was picked up on any scans or anything. said it was down to jack when he returns and when he stops feeling discomfort

think he wanted to make sure he was available for the euros. that was his priority

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

my final word on him

i'll take any bet with someone that we never hear of issues with his shins ever again...

Yes I get the feeling he could have returned earlier but his sole purpose was to be part of the England Euro squad. He looked like he was having the time of his life out there with all those England stars and its no surprise to me he wanted to play for the best manager in the world and play champions league football. A lot has been said on here about how hes a snake but all footballers are the same. There is no loyalty in football. If Man City put a bid on for Mings which was accepted by Villa he's be off like a shot too. 

• Like 3

Â