The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I disagree - I think this actually shows where a release clause is a good thing for the club.

It allows us to bat away offers of £50-60m from "Champions League clubs" because all parties are acutely aware of what is needed for the player to move on.  Instead of having an absolute fiasco like Kane (and you could say well played Levy for digging his heels in) which becomes embarrassing, everyone knows that it takes £100m for the move to happen and everything else will be rejected.  Dare I say without the release clause, this may have "only" been a £70m transfer.

No. Totally disagree. Our slow said we didn’t want to accept it but we had no choice. We had no negotiating power. 

A release clause is never a good thing for the club except as a bargaining tool to make the player sign. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

They are at different stages in their careers. I’d be confident that if Man City came in for him with £100m in a few years when he’s just broken into the England team, and with Arsenal being mid table, he would be gone. It’s how football works, unfortunately. There are no perfect dream stories, it’s all about the dolla!

Arsenal would take 65

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

No. Totally disagree. Our slow said we didn’t want to accept it but we had no choice. We had no negotiating power. 

A release clause is never a good thing for the club except as a bargaining tool to make the player sign. 

If that release clause isn't there, there's a bidding war between "top clubs" and we end up having to lose an unhappy player for far less than £100m.

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

If that release clause isn't there, there's a bidding war between "top clubs" and we end up having to lose an unhappy player for far less than £100m.

So when there is a bidding war the price goes down? Remind me not to instruct you as my estate agent! 😂

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

It would be fascinating to see how he’d get on in Germany or Italy 

My hope is that he ends up there soon. I would be able to appreciate him a lot more then. I will struggle to watch him for City truthfully - despite not having any real anger towards him or anything.

Just now, villaglint said:

So when there is a bidding war the price goes down? Remind me not to instruct you as my estate agent! 😂

Yes, because that's what I said :D 

Instead of being able to say "we're rejecting everything below £100m" and maintaining Grealish's 'happiness', we'd be rejecting bids of £50m, £55m, £60m, £65m... it would get to that point where Grealish would force his hand and we'd be accepting a £70m bid or something.  But I'm glad I had to spell this out ;) 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, striker said:

Whatever way you look at it the player was holding the club to ransom with that clause. Asking for that clause meant he was only marking time with his head elsewhere. Fergie would have got rid as soon as the clause was mentioned and Villa should have done the same but as it is, Villa doubled their money through gritted teeth. It was also very telling that Purslow and the club knew this day would come so planned for it. They’ve known for some time he wasn’t 100% committed to the club. Remember Villa bought 3 players to replace one. That’s how good Grealish is. It’s a very sad day for the club & fans. Thought he was always going to be a Villan but now that we know the circumstances, he is no different to any other footballing mercenary and that for me is terribly disappointing.

That’s how I feel. Thank you for summing a lot of those feelings. I’m so glad we have the owners we have and who got the best they could from a bad situation. We move forward. 

22 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Woken up and quite honestly say I don’t care about him anymore. 

He’s forced this move to take the easy and soulless option of winning trophies. 

We’ve seen with football clubs having periods of dominance, Liverpool in the eighties, ManUre in the 90s, Chelsea and Arsenal in the 00s and now recently City.

All those periods inevitably end - hopefully City are coming to end of their spell at the top and eventually without Pep they could have rockier times ahead.

Pep needs to win the Champs League this season, if not (and after this massive signing) he could be out the door.. wishful thinking I know but he’s continually fluffed his CL lines.

Excited to see Jack at left back in the CL 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Apparently it was his England 'colleagues' who persuaded him to sign for City with the manager beating the biggest drum no doubt

£115m over 6 years guaranteed. I'd say he didn't need much persuasion. 

16 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Ings, Bailey & Buendia are 3 superb footballers. Whenever we have lost our best players in the past we tend to look into the abyss and we know we’re going to be worse off for it mainly down to the poor recruitment off bygone era’s.

Im in positive spirits this morning because Lange is different gravy

I'm a bit more optimistic than Purslow.

You don't need 3 players to replace Grealish.

I believe Buendia alone will prove to be just as good.

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I said a few days ago on the Grealish thread - but got a great deal of stick for it (in the period many were in denial I think)

footballers - and their agents in particular - hold the keys these days. You only have to listen to Simon Jordan (Palace) who talks about this openly. They bleed clubs absolutely dry. All a contract acts as, is a way to preserve the value of a player, nothing to do with how long you can hold onto a player.

There is barely a player alive who will not down tools, put in less effort in training, cause unrest in the camp if they are being ‘held against their will’ including boyhood fans like Jack/Kane.

Jack would have never signed that contract without the clause. Meaning he’d have had 2 years left now (3 last year) and our negotiating position much weaker. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

United weren’t willing to pay the money. Well, none of them were. I’d have been pissed off if he had gone to Spurs. Not exactly the big step up compared to City are they and also well known bottle jobs. 

City weren’t going to take “no” for an answer from little old Aston Villa…

They were going to keep upping the bid and putting pressure on until they took what they wanted from us…

They are the sex offenders of world football

This is the thing for me with England and why I cant get in to watching them as a die hard fan.

Yes I will watch but even during the Euros, and they score, there no real reaction, just a 'yeah'

I think it stems down to watching numerous players from Villa get in to the England team and within a year or two leave.

Platt in the 90's

Then Barry, Milner, Young, even Downing to some degree, and then watch it rip my team apart just when we are on to something, and see us back to square one or in recent years, relegated.

Not a fan of England as such, more so now, no doubt Southgate said a few words, shame its us and not West Ham with Rice, or Phillips with Leeds

Edited by Bazmonkey

45 minutes ago, bobzy said:

That can happen anyway. Clubs don’t HAVE to meet the release clause. If Jack wanted to go and clubs were only bidding 70-80m then he could still force a move if he wanted to.

A release clause just sets a mark where we have no say

Â