The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

4 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I'm not complaining about the fee. £100m is a great fee and has giving us 3 very good players.

I'm saying I don't see what benefit we got from giving him a new contract last year. By agreeing to the release clause (when I don't think we needed to) we lost our negotiating power with City. If they really wanted him they might have paid £110/120m or added in some youth players, or we could have just rejected their bids. 

But it is what it is. 

Maybe he wanted to leave last summer for less?

Just now, Wainy316 said:

Interesting that Purslow said we outright batted off approaches from numerous clubs who enquired under the release clause.  I wonder who they were?

I wonder about that too.

Reckon there were some non English clubs in there?

38 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

It’s been taken out of context. City are of course a proper football club, always have been even when they were struggling in the lower leagues. Nowadays it’s fantasy football up there, so yes they are certainly on the right path, but still not reached the pinnacle of European football just yet, although they keep winning league titles which some believe is the pinnacle. Villa has anyone with a fully functioning brain will know are also a proper football club, heading in the right direction compared to previous years. Unfortunately, City are big time, and we aren’t,  that doesn’t mean we can’t eventually get to that sort of level , but it will be very hard . The facts are anyone who becomes a top player at Villa gets poached by the so called bigger clubs . City have now had 4 of our top players in recent years. 

It’s frustrating cos we are literally on the trajectory to being big time. Ah well I expect Chukweumeka will come through and be our next World class academy talent, thorough just won’t have the same fairy tale story behind it.

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Interesting that Purslow said we outright batted off approaches from numerous clubs who enquired under the release clause.  I wonder who they were?

United

Spurs

City ( before they met the clause)

Dortmund (Sancho money)

Chelsea maybe 

I reckon.

3 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Man U definitely one.

1 minute ago, Djemba_Villan said:

United

Spurs

City ( before they met the clause)

Dortmund (Sancho money)

Chelsea maybe 

I reckon.

It would be fascinating to see how he’d get on in Germany or Italy 

2 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

It’s frustrating cos we are literally on the trajectory to being big time. Ah well I expect Chukweumeka will come through and be our next World class academy talent, thorough just won’t have the same fairy tale story behind it.

Barry?  Hasn’t been at the club since childhood but from a big Villa supporting family.  His story is even cooler in a way, having come via Barcelona.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I bet Arsenal put a £40m bid in, might be why we retaliated with bids for their homeboy. 

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Barry?  Hasn’t been at the club since childhood but from a big Villa supporting family.  His story is even cooler in a way, having come via Barcelona.

Would love Barry to become a world class striker, can you imagine! 

We have some truly talented academy players, the best I’ve ever known it to be, kinda sad I’m wishing my life away to see them get into the first team.

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I remember at the time he signed his new contract people here hoping that there was a release clause in the deal. 

This is exactly why release clauses are never a good thing for the club (except for the indirect benefit that it gets the player to sign of course)

I disagree - I think this actually shows where a release clause is a good thing for the club.

It allows us to bat away offers of £50-60m from "Champions League clubs" because all parties are acutely aware of what is needed for the player to move on.  Instead of having an absolute fiasco like Kane (and you could say well played Levy for digging his heels in) which becomes embarrassing, everyone knows that it takes £100m for the move to happen and everything else will be rejected.  Dare I say without the release clause, this may have "only" been a £70m transfer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I bet Arsenal put a £40m bid in, might be why we retaliated with bids for their homeboy. 

That makes me sad, at least their homeboy stayed even though Arsenal are on the decline. 

• Like 1

Woken up and quite honestly say I don’t care about him anymore. 

He’s forced this move to take the easy and soulless option of winning trophies. 

We’ve seen with football clubs having periods of dominance, Liverpool in the eighties, ManUre in the 90s, Chelsea and Arsenal in the 00s and now recently City.

All those periods inevitably end - hopefully City are coming to end of their spell at the top and eventually without Pep they could have rockier times ahead.

Pep needs to win the Champs League this season, if not (and after this massive signing) he could be out the door.. wishful thinking I know but he’s continually fluffed his CL lines.

• Like 2

I thought I'd come to terms with this but now it's gone through it hits a bit different. Wasn't really prepared to lose Jack AND my job on the same day so it's probably more the latter but I'm a lot more spitefully hacked off at him than I thought I'd be honestly.

I hope in a few years time when his shins go he's sat on thier bench wondering what if.

• Sad 4

Â