The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

1 minute ago, Rds1983 said:

We would have got a record fee anyway and would have been able to negotiate above 100m.

Maybe, maybe not. But we cant complain about the fee. Its one of the biggest in football history.

Whether City needed him or not. You strengthen whilst you are on top. It's what Man Utd did under Ferguson for decades.

Look at Liverpool. Arguably their moment has passed because they didn't invest when they were on top.

At least we are well run enough to have avoided a situation like Delph where the fee was something rather than leaving on a free. It is what it is, all those statements and blue hearts are cringed puff PR of modern football. 

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

Good to see the England Football Team/FA are happy with the football monopoly. Super League hysteria really was a load of crap 

The super League hysteria was because none of the domestic broadcasters were invited. It was going to be a direct streaming model that the ESL were going to control. I've sent numerous emails to the Premier League that they should do this. 

I even e-mailed Eddie Hearn trying to get DAZN on it. Obviously it has to be a collective model not the clubs free to negotiate their own deals. They're "exploring the benefits" was his response.

I will love it when Sky lose the Premier League. It'll be even better if we win the League and F.A Cup during ol' shin splints 6 year contract. Won't mean anything to him but it'll be worth it to say we won it without you.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mazrim said:

Please stop saying Jack got us promoted. Its just revisionism. The team did it. Most of them played a significant job.

I've often thought that Jack didn't actually play very well in the playoff final v Derby.  Was fairly quiet in that game and badly missed the one chance he did have. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i don't know if its not classed a colloquialism there's another word for it just an overused and used wrong phrase in the area

i definitely use "proper" way too much to describe good things, i wouldn't necessarily say they're a great football club, there's every chance that i would say they're a proper football club

"did you have a good holiday?" "yeah it was proper good" daft shit like that

You’ve got a point there, I’m the same and say it a lot. The thing is that while ever emotions are running high, people are always going to react to these things. Much like how a neurotic girlfriend would react to the smallest mistakes. It’ll take a while but we’ll get over it when Buendia and Bailey are scoring for fun.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Maybe, maybe not. But we cant complain about the fee. Its one of the biggest in football history.

I'm not complaining about the fee. £100m is a great fee and has giving us 3 very good players.

I'm saying I don't see what benefit we got from giving him a new contract last year. By agreeing to the release clause (when I don't think we needed to) we lost our negotiating power with City. If they really wanted him they might have paid £110/120m or added in some youth players, or we could have just rejected their bids. 

But it is what it is. 

39 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

How convenient. His nice words about Villa yesterday was nothing more than PR rubbish but today his words are a deep seated unsubtle dig at his former club.

The mental gymnastics in here are incredible 🙈

Yep. The sheer desire by some to turn him into a villain (pun not intended) is amazing. 

17 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

But I do agree and find it a bit odd that his former teammates are congratulation him on the move.

It does indicate they all kind of look on Aston Villa as a development arena, and clubs like Man City being the main destination should you succeed.

Goes straight against what the owners are trying to build. They want us to  become elite, just like Man City.

I would just say good luck on your new challenge. Not congratulations.

Until we reach the champions league we are a development team of sorts, just like most other teams. The highest calibre players will not hang around for years and years without CL football. If our players are being sniffed at by clubs like Man City then it indicates our recruitment and academy teams are getting it right. The only way we stop this is to crack the top 4 and become the club that hoovers up other teams talent instead.  

Personally I think the fact we have sold Grealish to City has made us more attractive to young talent. There is a clear pathway to a top 4 team here (either through villas ‘project’ or through earning a transfer), and we have shown we are willing to do transfers if the fee is right. I do wonder how many players would want to go to Tottenham now seeing that Harry Kane is locked into his 6 year contract at Spurs.

• Like 2

I remember at the time he signed his new contract people here hoping that there was a release clause in the deal. 

This is exactly why release clauses are never a good thing for the club (except for the indirect benefit that it gets the player to sign of course)

Edited by Stevo985

33 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

But I do agree and find it a bit odd that his former teammates are congratulation him on the move.

It does indicate they all kind of look on Aston Villa as a development arena, and clubs like Man City being the main destination should you succeed.

Goes straight against what the owners are trying to build. They want us to  become elite, just like Man City.

I would just say good luck on your new challenge. Not congratulations.

The owners are building it, it'll just take time. 

This is the really difficult part - the time when as a club you are getting close to be challenging for top 4 but not quite there yet. 

When we are a regular top 4 it'll be less of a problem, players will have less desire to leave. 

It will still happen, but they won't view us as a development area as much once we can really challenge for things. 

Edited by richp999

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I've often thought that Jack didn't actually play very well in the playoff final v Derby.  Was fairly quiet in that game and badly missed the one chance he did have. 

The talent was always there but look how much his game progressed under Smith and the coaching staff. I don’t think you could make the same argument under previous coaches for as bad as they were. It fell into place in many ways. 

Â