The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

The reaction of some people tells me that Paul McGrath would never have stood a chance if he was playing in this day and age

Paul McGrath wouldn't have been as successful in this day and age if he had the same attitude, yes.  Same with Gazza.

Much more about being an athlete these days - everyone knows that.

(Also slight lol at the "being an alcoholic is OK" path you've taken here :D)

Dont think I took that stance at all but believe whatever you want

His only real mistake here is that he hasn't yet surrounded himself with people who will take care of him and allow him to do this kind of thing more safely and get away with it, like plenty of older players do.  So his crime is naïvety and inexperience.  He won't make that mistake again.

So he can make different mistakes each time?

As for surrounding himself with people to take care of him,  what like family you mean?

The reaction of some people tells me that Paul McGrath would never have stood a chance if he was playing in this day and age

did he make mistakes? yes

did he learn from them and not make them again ? yes

His only real mistake here is that he hasn't yet surrounded himself with people who will take care of him and allow him to do this kind of thing more safely and get away with it, like plenty of older players do.  So his crime is naïvety and inexperience.  He won't make that mistake again.

As for surrounding himself with people to take care of him,  what like family you mean?

PR advisors, people to keep him out of public view whilst getting hammered.

BOF is completely correct.  If we didn't know about it, it wouldn't be an issue.  The same with most things that become issues once they are known about.

A little impractical. It's more likely that his social group will be unrelated. He needs cleverer acquaintances.

A little impractical. It's more likely that his social group will be unrelated. He needs cleverer acquaintances.

Or better yet,  not do what he has done

Or better yet,  not do what he has done

Unrealistic. If we're going to guide someone it has to be done within the bounds of reality, otherwise you're wasting your time no matter how high the horse.

I can't believe there's a story here, he must be impressing people in the football world for journalists to run this story so heavily.

I hope the lad had fun, when he's old enough to be a starter through quality alone the partying comes to an end but he's a kid with cash who had a good season, his first real season (not even a full one. I'm sure Sherwood will tell him to try and not get caught in the future but for now there is no partying to be had for another 12 months.

Aaaand now the club statement has made top story and breaking news on the BBC website. What a load of old bollocks. The path this story has taken is so pathetically predictable.

I agree BOF. But in that pathetically predictable path, I would also include the many people on here that have jumped on the backs of anyone who feels the need to criticise Grealish for this.

I've done my fair share of drinking, but I've never been passed out in the street. If the rest of you have then fair enough, but to me, that isn't what we should be citing as 'normal' teenage drinking behaviour.

Lots of people have ended up having their stomachs pumped from drinking too much. Is that normal too? Would photos of Grealish being taken to hospital (or worse, having his stomach pumped in the street), be also met with the responses of 'oh get a life peeps, this is normal and if you haven't done this then you need to get a life!' ?

I don't think it would, and passing out in the street is one step away from hurting yourself or someone else, in my opinion.

• Like 3

You won't find many examples of top athletes being passed out in the middle of the road, if any at all. There's a big difference between that and becoming slightly tipsy from having a few drinks.

• Like 1

Aaaand now the club statement has made top story and breaking news on the BBC website. What a load of old bollocks. The path this story has taken is so pathetically predictable.

I agree BOF. But in that pathetically predictable path, I would also include the many people on here that have jumped on the backs of anyone who feels the need to criticise Grealish for this.

I've done my fair share of drinking, but I've never been passed out in the street. If the rest of you have then fair enough, but to me, that isn't what we should be citing as 'normal' teenage drinking behaviour.

Lots of people have ended up having their stomachs pumped from drinking too much. Is that normal too? Would photos of Grealish being taken to hospital (or worse, having his stomach pumped in the street), be also met with the responses of 'oh get a life peeps, this is normal and if you haven't done this then you need to get a life!' ?

I don't think it would, and passing out in the street is one step away from hurting yourself or someone else, in my opinion.

This all day long.

I'm amazed people aren't grasping this and think it's all just perfectly fine.

• Like 3

Grealish is 19, McGrath didnt get to England until he was 23. Why is it not possible that Jack can learn from his mistakes?

There are examples of footballers with talent pissing it up the wall,  not sure he needs too much guidance

Are footballers whiter than white and should we expect them to be? No.  Should they enjoy themselves and have a good time when on holiday? absolutely.  Im not sure where being passed out on the street is having a good time though,  you can have one without the extreme of the other.

It should not be excused

You know what avoids everything?

Jack Grealish doesn't do this. So simple!

He is 19. What did you do when you were 19?

I wasn't an internationally known superstar...

Grealish is 19, McGrath didnt get to England until he was 23. Why is it not possible that Jack can learn from his mistakes?

He's been told before.  How many more mistakes is he allowed? He has to stop when he gets to 23?

Club better make sure they find someone to write 2 sentences on behalf of Grealish and post it too. Keep it extremely simple, as they don't seem to know what PR is. BOF seems to be a better PR than anyone they have on staff at Villa. 

Yep I don't actually disagree with any of that. My problem is that people are taking this one incident and extrapolating a wasted career out of it rather than taking it for the isolated drinking incident that it is. He is at the age where you might do something like this. My stance would be different if he was a] older and b] this was a repeat or a common occurrence. But it isn't. It's his first such incident with alcohol and we'll see what happens from it going forward. I wouldn't be surprised if the 'word' that the club have in his ear is "just don't get caught next time".

Â