The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

100% this, Ruge.

At the end of the day, football is now a billion dollar plus industry with the sporting side of it a sort of add on. Players like Jack they have (if they're lucky) a 10 year window to do their career at the top level. He's been brilliant to watch and follow through the ups and downs of Villa's last 6 or 7 years since he burst into the side. Worth the admission money on his own. He is and always will be a Villa fan, but he's also an employee and also a sportsman who is both ambitious to validate his talent with medal, to play for England and to play with the other superstars - the stuff kids dream of. None of that, not one bit of that is really a negative, or anything to slag anyone off for. He's also had the massive bonus of playing for the club he clearly loves. Leaving will no doubt be a mixed thing for him - he gets a better chance of medals and a chance to work with a revered coach and maybe improve his game further - to make the most of his talent. Equally like @Awol said the other day, he's broken the magic in doing so and broken the connection (for now) to Villa. So many people are seemingly all angry and wound up with him because of what he represented and was - he was the kind of living ideal of all the fans, absolutely "one of us", but out there on the pitch doing brilliant things.

We should remember his kindness to people too - to all the kids at Acorns and all the stuff he did but didn't have to - donations, shirts all kinds of stuff for Villa supporting kids and people. Yes he's done some daft stuff too - careless driving, getting lashed in Marbella - so he's human like us. Normal like us.

And as for Man City - yeah, they're a club that has always had decent support and supporters, and sure they've attracted a new generation of fans through all the Oil money and sports-washing, and some of them are proper whoppers, but equally the Club itself has kept to its roots as far as possible with community stuff and regenerating the area and all that. They're a mix of old school proper fans and plastics, but it's just sport. Next level in terms of the money side, like you say.

If NSWE's masterplan comes off we could be a version of them (without the human rights problems) in not too long, and doing what they do.

We've had 10 years (more if you count his time developing) out of Jack, we've got 100 million quid on top of that, too. Like you I wish him well as long as he's not playing against us. No hard feelings, but a bit of disappointment.

Thing is , the amount of money we’ve blown over the years is unbelievable. We had the Lerner years where to begin with we were spending big on players and wages. Then the false dawn of Xia, and now the optimism of our new owners. Our fans wouldn’t be complaining if the boot was on the other foot. We tried to break the monopoly ourselves, but failed.  I know it’s frustrating seeing clubs like Chelsea and City go light years in front of us, although I believe we are now on the right road to try and mount a challenge, but it’s either gold or bust . Leeds tried and failed massively and they are only just recovering. We dug ourselves in a bad hole trying to compete with the other top clubs, but again seem to be on a recovery mission.  City and Chelsea who were considered slightly smaller clubs than Villa a few years back have really established themselves as global brands. I don’t dislike City or Chelsea for their money or success. We wouldn’t be complaining. I just really dislike football in general nowadays. 

• Like 1

Just now, Villadevon said:

Imagine what it's like for those with tattoos.....

My little bro named his son Jack, thought it would be funny as he married into a bluenose family, wind them all up. Methinks he'll be regretting that decision soon...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I’ve seen a fair share of ‘money grabbing’ mentions, I understand perfectly why people are annoyed although I think a lot of people seem to be taking it really personally.

I think the opposite and I take anything sky say with a pinch of salt.

I don't anyone takes any of this personally, we are fans just enjoying chitter chatter above the club we love.

If Jack stays we will be ecstatic, if he leaves he will quickly be forgotten and we move on with our war on the top 6.

6 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

I think this too. The trophies are secondary, it's all about bragging rights, when they are altogether and being dicks about who plays for who and how rich they are top trumps, he wants to be one of the big dicks.

This. Grealish strikes me as not exactly the sharpest tool in the box (not knowing what encyclopaedic meant for example !) so i get the impression that material stuff like wages and what it can buy mean more than trying to get his head around being a potential legend at his boyhood club. He probably already has more money than he knows what to do with but i feel he thinks status and profile will help him in the dick swinging contest he will have when in the England dressing room. 

1 minute ago, mottaloo said:

This. Grealish strikes me as not exactly the sharpest tool in the box (not knowing what encyclopaedic meant for example !) so i get the impression that material stuff like wages and what it can buy mean more than trying to get his head around being a potential legend at his boyhood club. He probably already has more money than he knows what to do with but i feel he thinks status and profile will help him in the dick swinging contest he will have when in the England dressing room. 

I think there's a lot of that in the England camp, feels like there is a clique who look down there noses at others and Jack's thinks he will walk straight in to that now.

This is all idol gossip by the way, I'm just guessing of course.

• Like 1

We as a club need to make him regret it. This should be motivation to teach him a sporting lesson and do whatever it takes to get Champions League. Once we get that I believe with the off the field work we'll stay there for a while.

What I will say is that I think Jack deep down has always had a soft spot for United whilst also being a Villa fan. I believe that with him and the others we would have got Champions League within 2/3 seasons or gotten close. He obviously doesn't want that challenge because it's very hard work to break the top 4.

Danny Ings , Ashley Young are captain material so that has cushioned some of the blow of losing our leader.

Oh and one final thing :

BOOOOOOOOOOOO! 😂

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Not sure I believe it to be honest, sounds like something Jacks 'team' would leak to try and make him seem less like a money grabber. I'm sure money isn't the only factor in his decision making but it will have been one I'm sure.

Agreed. Also salary is only one component of a (top) footballers income. The Nike deal and various other commercial deals are part of the magnet. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I’ve seen a fair share of ‘money grabbing’ mentions, I understand perfectly why people are annoyed although I think a lot of people seem to be taking it really personally.

personally i'm annoyed that someone who SHOULD have gotten legendary status at villa hasn't, and won't

i'm positive he'd have captained us to some form of silverware...and that would've been enough to be considered a legend

legend's don't come around too often, and as talented as our current crop is, there's no obvious contender for someone to have that status

i didn't see enough villa games to talk about mcgrath in detail. i'd love to been able to tell kids when i'm old and grey about this wonder kid from solhull, that captained us back to the PL and went on to win the FA cup. or got us back into europe's top stage

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

I think this too. The trophies are secondary, it's all about bragging rights, when they are altogether and being dicks about who plays for who and how rich they are top trumps, he wants to be one of the big dicks.

I have to admit I was a little worried on one of those England videos when he was asking some of the other players about playing in the CL final.  It's so clearly where he wants to be.

Just now, sidcow said:

I have to admit I was a little worried on one of those England videos when he was asking some of the other players about playing in the CL final.  It's so clearly where he wants to be.

Ditto. He so badly wants to be one of them. Perhaps unsurprising, but his demeanour with the England squad was wholly different to how he handled himself around his Villa teammates. It was like first day at school.

26 minutes ago, KiwiVillain said:

Looking forward to Matty Cash's first tackle on Grealish. Should be an absolute belter!! Not sure if Jack will even get up afterwards. I have a mental picture of it.....glorious!!

And the following roar of the crowd.

Would have loved for him to stay.(anything confirmed yet btw?).

If he goes it might be the perfect time to sell him. Peak value. A shin problem that seems to be chronic and getting worse. Somewhat of a party animal who doesn't seem to "grow" up. The corona party, driving crashing, speeding, tailgating. It's all something that's happened too recently. It might not  be such a bad decision after all?

Just now, sidcow said:

Yep. He had dreams of playing at the Eurostoo  but I bet deep down there were times during it where he was livid about the politics and the way the idiot manager under utilised him.

He will get what he wants quickly but deep down he will not enjoy the whole thing as much as 2 minutes of celebrating a goal with the holte end.

22 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

And that’s how agents work. Getting into the ear of the whores at sky to spin the narrative. It works. 

Yep, reinforces the view that he's not some kind of money grabber and the decision was purely footballing.  Personally I do actually believe that is the case, but thousands won't so it's good PR to get that message out for the Instagram masses to lap up. 

No way on earth did we offer him more money to say, we just couldn't afford to under FFP.

Â