The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

4 minutes ago, mrchnry said:

I love the Villa but career and personal finances come first. It would be a harder decision to make in Jack's position but when you crunch the numbers he'll make a lot more at Man City and I don't see him playing into his mid 30's with such a reoccurring problem injury. Sad but true. It doesn't mean he's not a fan, look at Albrighton. 

The personal finances thing is always interesting to me. He’s making £125k a week and was guaranteed £200-250k in his new contract at Villa. Obviously 50k-100k a week with Man City is a lot more but at Villa he’s a multi-millionaire already making millions guaranteed to make even more millions. He’s set for life as it is. This is more about him with the path of least resistant to trophies.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

The personal finances thing is always interesting to me. He’s making £125k a week and was guaranteed £200-250k in his new contract at Villa. Obviously 50k-100k a week with Man City is a lot more but at Villa he’s a multi-millionaire already making millions guaranteed to make even more millions. He’s set for life as it is. This is more about him with the path of least resistant to trophies.

I imagine at a higher profile club ..then there is also increased sponsorship deals etc ..

Also tbh with no CL money offering him 200k a week would have been a huge layout and likely could of stopped us investing elsewhere and certainly he would of been on much more than the rest of the squad 

43 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think he will.....but 

£300,000 x 52 x5 = £ 78,000,000

Maybe he won't....his career is Guaranteed.

I understand disparity wages because of natural talent etc. But jeez, if ever there's an example how out of touch footballers are this is it. Lend me a tenner until payday Jack.

26 minutes ago, Deano & Dalian's Umbrella said:

E7-kqkIXsAELqtd?format=jpg&name=small

Absolute fraud. Him being a great manager is a myth.

He has never had to build anything. I wonder how he would go if he was managing, say, Watford or one of the Sheffield teams?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Show me a millionaire that said "that's enough money for me thanks"

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Nabby said:

I imagine at a higher profile club ..then there is also increased sponsorship deals etc ..

Also tbh with no CL money offering him 200k a week would have been a huge layout and likely could of stopped us investing elsewhere and certainly he would of been on much more than the rest of the squad 

Great points, and as I commented a week or so ago, when would it have ended? We'd have to hand him a bumper contract every season just to try and keep him, amid endless speculation.

Best move for all parties IMO.

The level of money we would have eventually given him, could probably be put towards another 2 quality players.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

The sad thing is, one day Jack will regret it.

Not sad for me. This week has been a rollercoaster but somehow I’m at the point where I’m more excited than I have been in 25 years of being a serious Villa fan, and I’m resigned to Jack going. It’s so weird. What a week! Like even more excited than I was when I stayed late on a Friday night at work to see MON arrive and sign at Villa Park, or when we won the League Cup in ‘96. I think outside of MU, MC, Chelsea and Liverpool (who I even think are on a down slope), I think we can be the number 4/5 team within a year or three. 

Edited by ChicagoVillan1983

Jack will likely have a good career whether he goes, but there's a significant opportunity cost in this move. 

If we win a trophy or make the Champions League while he's still playing, he'll absolutely feel some pain for missing out. Imagine him watching on as Mings and Smith lift the FA Cup, for example. 

15 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

The sad thing is, one day Jack will regret it.

Jack be like Tommy " I threw my City Medals in the cut" 🤣

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

Not sad for me. This week has been a rollercoaster but somehow I’m at the point where I’m more excited than I have been in 25 years of being a serious Villa fan, and I’m resigned to Jack going. It’s so weird. What a week!

I think this is it, i know a lot of us were fedup with being classed a "one man team" and sadly the stats proved that statement to be correct as we were pretty dire in the main when he got injured.

I do now wonder about the severity of the mysterious shins saga i have to admit. Did he actually know he was going to City way back then and was wrapping himself in cotton wool? The timelines all seem oddly coincidental and if it was really that bad would City actually be paying this amount for him? What i find odd is that he has "apparently" already signed and yet is off for his medical tomorrow? I think if i was about to pay 100m for a player i would not let hime anywhere near a pen until the medical had been thoroughly done? Just all seems a bit iffy to me.

An ulterior version could easily be....He breaks into the England team then Kane, Sterling & co get in his ear and say City want him and will pay x. Suddenly he gets mysterious shin issues which was never really explained properly & yet magically drags on for half a season effectively wrecking our push for Europe. Then just in time to prove his fitness he magically recovers ready for the Euros. Now all of a sudden according to reports he signs his contract without even having had his medical? Really? 

Just saying 🤔

6 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I think this is it, i know a lot of us were fedup with being classed a "one man team" and sadly the stats proved that statement to be correct as we were pretty dire in the main when he got injured.

I do now wonder about the severity of the mysterious shins saga i have to admit. Did he actually know he was going to City way back then and was wrapping himself in cotton wool? The timelines all seem oddly coincidental and if it was really that bad would City actually be paying this amount for him? What i find odd is that he has "apparently" already signed and yet is off for his medical tomorrow? I think if i was about to pay 100m for a player i would not let hime anywhere near a pen until the medical had been thoroughly done? Just all seems a bit iffy to me.

An ulterior version could easily be....He breaks into the England team then Kane, Sterling & co get in his ear and say City want him and will pay x. Suddenly he gets mysterious shin issues which was never really explained properly & yet magically drags on for half a season effectively wrecking our push for Europe. Then just in time to prove his fitness he magically recovers ready for the Euros. Now all of a sudden according to reports he signs his contract without even having had his medical? Really? 

Just saying 🤔

I think Sterling is the last player who would/should have been getting in his ear to be honest.

He could soon be having a " noooo, what have I done ??!!! " Cartoon type moment when he's been drugged and wakes up in Daniel Levy's office ,🤣

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Just saying 🤔

I tell you what if Jack career goes in a season or two, I'll put it all down to a masterplan to rinse City for as much as we could get and that Jack and NSWE, Smith, Lange and Purlsow pulled off football biggest heist.

Put it down to Jack as being the inside man 🤣

Edited by Dave-R

Assuming that it happens (which is looking likely), I'm looking at the short term and the long term.

In the short term, am I disappointed? Of course. With the possible exception of Paul McGrath, Grealish is the best Villan since I started supporting Villa in 1992-93.

For the long term, what does this say about NSWE's ambition for the club? Only time will tell, because I see two possible motivations for NSWE in selling, and two possible motivations for Grealish in going. Looking at NSWE first, are they selling because...

1. They lack ambition, or because

2. They made the rational decision that £100m is a lot of money for a player who had injury problems last year, which can be used to deepen the squad with high quality players, which is a necessary step towards competing for Champions League spots and the title?

Similarly, did Grealish leave because...

1. He thinks NSWE lack ambition, or because

2. He made the rational evaluation that he's 25, the next 5 years are probably his peak years, he has injury problems and gets fouled a lot and could have even fewer peak years, and although NSWE are ambitious, Villa's timetable for becoming a truly big club is probably at least 5 years away, so he should chase hardware while he can?

I'm hoping that, in each case, the answer is #2 instead of #1. If so, I can live with it in the long term. And at the moment, I'm willing to give NSWE the benefit of the doubt. Edens has proven he wants to win and can win, as evidenced by the NBA success in Milwaukee. And NSWE are splashing out a lot of cash this summer, whether to convince Grealish to stay or to prepare for his departure (probably a little of both). But again, only time will tell.

Edited by TomC
Grammatical change
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TomC said:

Assuming that it happens (which is looking likely), I'm looking at the short term and the long term.

In the short term, am I disappointed? Of course. With the possible exception of Paul McGrath, Grealish is the best Villan since I started supporting Villa in 1992-93.

For the long term, what does this say about NSWE's ambition for the club? Only time will tell, because I see two possible motivations for NSWE in selling, and two possible motivations for Grealish in going. Looking at NSWE first, are they selling because...

2. They made the rational decision that £100m is a lot of money for a player who had injury problems last year, which can be used to deepen the squad with high quality players, which is a necessary step towards competing for Champions League spots and the title?

2. He made the rational evaluation that he's 25, the next 5 years are probably his peak years, he has injury problems and gets fouled a lot and could have even fewer peak years, and although NSWE are ambitious, Villa's timetable for becoming a truly big club is probably at least 5 years away, so he should chase hardware while he can?

I'm hoping that, in each case, the answer is #2 instead of #1. If so, I can live with it in the long term. And at the moment, I'm willing to give NSWE the benefit of the doubt. Edens has proven he wants to win and can win, as evidenced by the NBA success in Milwaukee. And NSWE are splashing out a lot of cash this summer, whether to convince Grealish to stay or to prepare for his departure (probably a little of both). But again, only time will tell.

May not get to his peak years if all this injury speculation is true.

Didn't be say he'd like to work in a club if it ended for him or that he'd like to own a club? Bit strange from Grealish shortly after he came back from injury, was said our the blue wasn't it?

2 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

May not get to his peak years if all this injury speculation is true.

Didn't be say he'd like to work in a club if it ended for him or that he'd like to own a club? Bit strange from Grealish shortly after he came back from injury, was said our the blue wasn't it?

If he wasn't a football player he'd be a club promoter in ibiza. But that's more if he wasn't good enough as a football player. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, TomC said:

@Fairy In Boots has covered this in detail recently and to me it makes the most sense that Grealish, his family, and his agent have been angling for a move long ago regardless of club's ambition and how many times he's said he's a boyhood Villa fan. He's snaked out on us

• Like 1

Â