The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

We were proper shit then though. You couldn't blame them (well Delph you could, but that was his own fault). 

I agree. I had absolutely no animosity towards Benteke. Didn't he have a release clause as well?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Practical question: How much is Grealish on a week on his current contract? Does his departure make things a little better on the FFP front (in terms of wages)?

He was at 125k or 150k a week. It will help with FFP. But I don't know exactly how, just that I've read it'll help alleviate some FFP pressure.

15 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

As soon as his brother deleted his Twitter account, I knew it was done. It went under the radar somewhat but it was probably the biggest tell tale sign he was off.

FWIW, I think the club and the player have handled this terribly. Why the f*** was he given 3 weeks off at the end of a Euro's tournament where he played a couple of matches? Why weren't we discussing his future 3 weeks ago and signing players in that period when other clubs knew we didn't have one hundred million pounds burning a hole in our pocket? Why did we feature him in a kit launch which probably resulted in thousands of kids getting 'Grealish' printed on the back of their shirts? Those kits are ruined now and they're not exactly cheap...Massive error on behalf of the club.

Onto Jack. I don't really know what to think anymore. He's given me some unbelievable memories in the last few seasons but to leave now? I have no doubt he wanted to leave last summer and by signing a contract with a release clause in it, he knew he was putting himself into a position where Villa couldn't stop him from leaving. A Villa fan? Meh. Spare me. 

£100m is a lot for a player who can't go through a season without disappearing off injured for large parts. If we can't invest this and improve as a team, we'd never break the top 4 anyway.

Agreed. We all wanted to believe that he planned to take Villa all the way back to the top but as I said before, he’s just a footballer. He’s not a messiah. Playing for the club he supported suited him, till a better offer came along. He is an athlete driven by success. That’s fine but in this case he’s chosen to turn down the chance of being a lifelong legend who would be written to our history books indefinitely. 

Instead, long term he’ll be remembered as a player who took us up from the second tier and kept us up in the top tier, got a few England caps then moved on. People will say how gifted he was but others heroes will come along in his place and do similar.  

Being a Villa legend came second to instant success for Jack. That’s fine and I wish him well but I expected something more and it hasn’t happened. I’m not angry, I’m disappointed. More than anything disappointed in wasting my time thinking he was the central figure in something unique that we may never see happen again. 

Now it’s time to revert to being a normal fan again, cheering on the players we have under contract before one day they move on too. Perhaps Louie Barry might be the true messiah or maybe he’ll be another Jack? Who knows. I’m just not sure I’ll ever get to see a true Villa legend in front of the Holte ever again, unless we become the next Man City that is. 

Edited by philthevillan
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I do wonder how this will impact Buendia, as I did read assurances over Grealish were used to persuade him to join us over Arsenal. How true they were I've no idea.

Possibly hinted at by Buendias tweet about success

1 minute ago, philthevillan said:

I get it’s life changing money and opportunities but so is captaining the club you and your family support and being paid a six figure weekly salary for the pleasure. 

Agreed. We all wanted to believe that he planned to take Villa all the way back to the top but as I said before, he’s just a footballer. He’s not a messiah. Playing for the club he supported suited him, till a better offer came along. He is an athlete driven by success. That’s fine but in this case he’s chosen to turn down the chance of being a lifelong legend who would be written to our history books indefinitely. 

Instead, long term he’ll be remembered as a player who took us up from the second tier and kept us up in the top tier, got a few England caps then moved on. People will say how gifted he was but others heroes will come along in his place and do similar.  

Being a Villa legend came second to instant success for Jack. That’s fine and I wish him well but I expected something more and it hasn’t happened. I’m not angry, I’m disappointed. More than anything disappointed in wasting my time thinking he was the central figure in something unique that we may never see happen again. 

Now it’s time to revert to being a normal fan again, cheering on the players we have under contract before one day they move on too. Perhaps Louie Barry might be the true messiah or maybe he’ll be another Jack? Who knows. I’m just not sure I’ll ever get to see a true Villa legend in front of the Holte ever again, unless we become the next Man City that is. 

He’s a VERY NAUGHTY BOY

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Spot on. The only thing that does stink is the timing. He knew back in April/May he was going to City.

He didn’t know it would happen. Nor had he any control over the timing of City’s move or Villa’s response to that move. And that’s without factoring in the injury and the Euros…

If I try and look at it without emotion I would say that we are still a stronger team now having brought in Buendia, Young and Bailey and losing Grealish and Engels and that's without any other signings we now make. 

7 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

If there is a very reachable release clause in the contract of a world class player, you absolutely need to be wary of him leaving at any point during the transfer window. Featuring him in a kit launch was daft and then the whole open air training stuff down on London was just plain weird.

Like I say, both Club and Player have handled this poorly. Jack more than the club. 

Sure - be wary of it. But you can't sign a load of new players, or not do the photo shoots 'just in case' a bid comes in - what if it hadn't?  I'm sure they have reacted as fast as they have been able to SINCE an official bid came in. But I kind of agree about the training thing - I'd have had him off doing gym work or something for a few days as soon as it was a serious possibility.

4 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

He was at 125k or 150k a week. It will help with FFP. But I don't know exactly how, just that I've read it'll help alleviate some FFP pressure.

I think the £100m profit on player sales will have a bigger impact.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Why the hell is he STILL here and STILL training with us?

If this really is happening (lets face it, we've heard reports that a) he arrived in Manchester and b) he would be there this afternoon which are both patently wrong) then get him gone, at least out of our squad and our view.

because he's staying, what an absolute caper

• Like 1

Â