The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

As I said in a post yesterday much as I hate MC, as they stand for everything wrong in football at the moment, footballers have a short career and I don’t blame JG for wanting to win trophies and earn much more money.

All this talk of booing him and he’s a snake is pathetic. He stayed with us through a very difficult period for the club and let’s not forget Spurs were trying to get for £15m not many years ago so he could I guess have pushed through a transfer then. I thought he would go next season not this but so be it. Just because he plays for the club he supports does not mean he has to commit his entire career to Villa.

We need as a club to remove our reliance on one player and £100m really helps in building a much better squad to do that. I suspect that the club have known this was a likely outcome hence the signings we have made and are looking to make. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, YLN said:

Has something actually happened? The sky sports article is the same as it has been the last 2 days

So no I think is the answer here

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

If there is a very reachable release clause in the contract of a world class player, you absolutely need to be wary of him leaving at any point during the transfer window. Featuring him in a kit launch was daft and then the whole open air training stuff down on London was just plain weird.

Like I say, both Club and Player have handled this poorly. Jack more than the club. 

I have to say its strange all of it feels awkward wish he would of just gone friday then we wouldnt have had all the hate like this now.

1 hour ago, Talldarkandransome said:

We're in a much better position now, all over the place. Everything is different this time. I'm not worried where our ship is going

Hope you’re right!

Here is one reason to worry, based on last season’s performance:

points per match where Grealish played: 1.75

points per match without Grealish: 0.93

8 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

As soon as his brother deleted his Twitter account, I knew it was done. It went under the radar somewhat but it was probably the biggest tell tale sign he was off.

FWIW, I think the club and the player have handled this terribly. Why the f*** was he given 3 weeks off at the end of a Euro's tournament where he played a couple of matches? Why weren't we discussing his future 3 weeks ago and signing players in that period when other clubs knew we didn't have one hundred million pounds burning a hole in our pocket? Why did we feature him in a kit launch which probably resulted in thousands of kids getting 'Grealish' printed on the back of their shirts? Those kits are ruined now and they're not exactly cheap...Massive error on behalf of the club.

Onto Jack. I don't really know what to think anymore. He's given me some unbelievable memories in the last few seasons but to leave now? I have no doubt he wanted to leave last summer and by signing a contract with a release clause in it, he knew he was putting himself into a position where Villa couldn't stop him from leaving. A Villa fan? Meh. Spare me. 

£100m is a lot for a player who can't go through a season without disappearing off injured for large parts. If we can't invest this and improve as a team, we'd never break the top 4 anyway.

Dunno - we moved for Budenia at break neck speed. Which gives us options in that midfield area. We don't totally have our pants down right now.

This was always going to happen . What’s frustrating is the lack of honesty integrity from Jack . He claimed last year he was here to rebuild and support the project , here we are 12 months on and his off , Good luck to him but he isn’t  legend status at Villa and I’m sure he will be berated more critically  by fans . 
Football is a business  there is NO loyalty anymore ! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

He's not a snake, he's gone about this reasonably professionally. For that reason I'm not in the boat for him getting any more vitriol than any opposition player.

But that's just it. He's now just some other player that doesn't play for us.

It's disappointing that he's kinda thrown the goodwill away for more money (when he's already an obscenely rich man) and some bought silverware. He's had something very special, and whilst it wouldn't mean as near guaranteed medals as this does, he's still got a lot of great things from it, and he cashed in on it.

But he's sold that now. And he's gone to one of the worst places he could have, a oil soaked PR machine. Sucking Satan's piece for some silver.

But that just means he's like every other player. He's not special. He's just a talented product, a tool. He'll be marketed as their Beckham figure. He'll be marketed as a world beater now. He'll be on Pepsi cans. He'll start for England. Because he wears a pale blue rag now and will get some oil stained trinkets, and sleep on an even bigger pile of gold than he does already.

Good for him. Bye. Some nice memories, thanks.

Spot on. The only thing that does stink is the timing. He knew back in April/May he was going to City.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, romavillan said:

Largely agree apart from the criticism of the club, they got in Buendia and Bailey before any announcement (still none yet). They had probably been assured by the player he was going to be staying as captain. There was no offer from City until last week, it does look like his representatives have been sounded out by City before they made their move and after that he's decided to go.

Don’t know if I agree with that, the rumours where around prior to the Euros saying a deal was done, someone in the know just went off early.

IMO, it was agreed last year when Manure were  interested, he signed the new contract, but with the release clause as he wanted to go as long as someone stumped up the cash. The club has kept this quiet.

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

He's not a snake, he's gone about this reasonably professionally. For that reason I'm not in the boat for him getting any more vitriol than any opposition player.

But that's just it. He's now just some other player that doesn't play for us.

It's disappointing that he's kinda thrown the goodwill away for more money (when he's already an obscenely rich man) and some bought silverware. He's had something very special, and whilst it wouldn't mean as near guaranteed medals as this does, he's still got a lot of great things from it, and he cashed in on it.

But he's sold that now. And he's gone to one of the worst places he could have, a oil soaked PR machine. Sucking Satan's piece for some silver.

But that just means he's like every other player. He's not special. He's just a talented product, a tool. He'll be marketed as their Beckham figure. He'll be marketed as a world beater now. He'll be on Pepsi cans. He'll start for England. Because he wears a pale blue rag now and will get some oil stained trinkets, and sleep on an even bigger pile of gold than he does already.

Good for him. Bye. Some nice memories, thanks.

This. One million times this.

Just now, briny_ear said:

Hope you’re right!

Emi, Bailey and whoever else we sign should correct that. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Practical question: How much is Grealish on a week on his current contract? Does his departure make things a little better on the FFP front (in terms of wages)?

Having a bit of wiggle room on the FFP as a club who failed FFP and has the fanbase of a women's cricket team drop £250m on 2 players.
Yay.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, briny_ear said:

Hope you’re right!

Yeah but look at the talent we've signed, yes they have to bed in but I'm not feeling too worried yet

Assuming move goes ahead, I suspect the media silence was to allow us to get deals for Bailey, and maybe even Buendia, completed way before the sniffs of completion came out. This prevents us being held to ransom, and potentially makes us a more attractive proposition to the signings.

Once those deals are sealed, there's probably less need to keep it secret.

I do wonder how this will impact Buendia, as I did read assurances over Grealish were used to persuade him to join us over Arsenal. How true they were I've no idea.

Assume we'll use the money to get a defensive midfield gem in. Not sure we need that much else, and might be worth holding on to the cash to see where we end up looking short.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

If the club knew he wanted out, this is all fair criticism. 

There are a few possibilities, I think

• We knew he wanted to go, and we mishandled it enormously.
  • He told us he'd stay and then backtracked, in which case he's a dickhead, but the club didn't want to hold him to ransom when we had a good offer
  • He was on the fence, and we gave him some time off to make up his mind, which is...nice, but slightly ill-judged?

If he was in two minds I suspect his head was turned at the Euros. Nothing to stop any Man City player tapping him up.

• Like 2

Â