The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

Just now, Stevo985 said:

and achieved POSSIBLY all I would achieve at the club

This is worth thinking about. We don't know how those conversations went about the club's ambitions. I can only hope we make him regret it.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I'd say the same.

But if I'd spent 20 years at the club, and played for the first team for as long as I had, and achieved POSSIBLY all I would achieve at the club, and I was one of the best players in the league, being offered the opportunity Jack is being offered, would I say the same then?

None of us can say we would. Because none of us have ever been in that position

That's what you think...

'tis me, Gareth Barry and has been all along!

Edited by JPAngel
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But none of us have ever been in his shoes and never will.

None of us can say in his position we wouldn't go to City because we have no idea what it feels like.

It's nonsense

You’re right…

I can’t remember ever working for a company that I’ve loved and adored since I was a child… That my grandad used to work for…
Where people who like the company buy the company uniform with my name on the back and stand inside the company grounds on a weekly basis singing my name and cheering me on…

And then deciding that I wanted to stack shelves/serve tables/attend board meetings/change alternators for another company who I didn’t grow up loving and adoring (ultimately at the expense of the company that I do love and adore) for what is in the grand scheme of things a piffling pay rise, all so I could be a part of the new companies team to win the “Company of the year” award again

Can people not change their mind?

Is it not possible that in an interview when he's just signed a new contract that he did think his future was at Villa?

12 months later after he's had a great season, a good Euros, become THE superstar of English football, and has one of the best clubs and managers in the world wanting to sign him for a record transfer on huge wages to play with some of the best players in the world, including his idol in KDB... is it not possible that that could change somebody's mind?

I'll never cease to be amazed at the narrow mindedness of Villa fans. As if we have a gods given right to keep every player we want to keep just because we're villa.

We're a midtable club. Our best players get sold. It happens. Get over it

Good point: I suppose many of us fell for the marketing spin and the story. I've said it before on here, but I love the romance of the game, as much as anything else and this fit into that narrative. We all want the Roy of the Rovers stories to come to life and I suppose that's what we got. Makes the come-down harder.

Perhaps seeing those Citeh players getting in the England team was something he hadn't foreseen and jolted him to take a different path. Perhaps he trained with England and thought he needed a different environment to get to the next level. Fair play. 

Having said that, when people talk in absolutes -- about 'the future' -- you sort of hope that they've thought it through: people like Jack hold a lot of responsibility on their shoulders and the hopes of younger fans (and those of us who are older but perhaps just as fallible to dreaming). Kissing the badge and talking about loving something shouldn't be taken lightly. Unfortunately, we've debased the currency of such concepts. 

I don't think it's narrow-mindedness: I think it's pure disappointment on the part of fans. As another poster said earlier today, we're basically going through the cycle of grief. We'll get over it. 

Just now, Stevo985 said:

How is that defeatist?

He's one of the best players in the league. We're a midtable club. He is far too good for us in our current state.

Yes we'll improve, i'm sure we will. But he's going to one of the best teams in Europe.

Even in our wildest dreams when would be the soonest Aston Villa could offer him the success he'll have at City? 10 years?

I honestly think if the owners stay on their current level of commitment of improving things on and off the pitch, I think he could have had a shot of trophies with us just by seeing out his contract.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jono62 said:

Can you imagine. Paying 100m for a player and there's no guarantees he will start.

That's what you get when you can pretty much print money and not worry about any consequences. City already made the FFP look a joke once already. 😀

Edited by MachoFantastico

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’m sorry I don’t agree.  Yes I haven’t been in his place but I have made major life changing decisions that are comparable to a major decision and thus I know based on that I would stay at Villa.

Same, but think it’s a generational thing, there’s no where near the loyalty these days.

• Like 1

The thing for me is that we are still a long way off finishing in a champions league spot. Grealish will be 26 soon and its a short career so its fully understandable that hes leaving.  I get the Villa fan loyalty thing but at the end of the day its his career and its the right time for him him to go. Its not the end of the world, we can still progress and get into a position where we can keep our top players. 

Jack has taken the easy option by leaving. Yes he’s gunna win PLs, FA Cups and probs CLs but in reality it’s relatively easy given the level of players he’s gunna be with.

A real challenge and sense of pride would have been taking us to CL or win FA Cup etc...

But guess he’s earned us £100m

I certainly won’t be rooting for him at city

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

The only proof you will have is when it's officially announced as you seem to only accept that as evidence. 

But surely you know these deals are conducted for weeks, sometimes months before they're made official. 

Every respected source has confirmed it is happening. You can't really believe they're all just guessing. It's getting to real head in sand status at the moment. 

A bit condescending mate.  City haven’t confirmed a bid, Villa haven’t confirmed they’ve received a bid, accepted a bid or rejected a bid and Jack has been training with the Villa since he returned from holiday.  Every day the reporters report something and when their last report is wrong they move the goalposts.  I’m not asking for much, just something a little more concrete before I would change my decision.  A photo of him in Manchester, a comment from any of the three parties just something more than journalists that keep getting it wrong.

How is that defeatist?

He's one of the best players in the league. We're a midtable club. He is far too good for us in our current state.

Yes we'll improve, i'm sure we will. But he's going to one of the best teams in Europe.

Even in our wildest dreams when would be the soonest Aston Villa could offer him the success he'll have at City? 10 years?

completely agree

i think too many are riding the wave of NSWE and getting caught up as to just how far off we are and how hard it will be to get to where we want to go

we are not competing with man city, it is what it is, they're operating on a different level to us, all this stuff about them being a plastic club and the oil money and it will all be hollow blah blah blah 

its out of touch with reality 

• Like 2

I'd say the same.

But if I'd spent 20 years at the club, and played for the first team for as long as I had, and achieved POSSIBLY all I would achieve at the club, and I was one of the best players in the league, being offered the opportunity Jack is being offered, would I say the same then?

None of us can say we would. Because none of us have ever been in that position

I agree that we can't know for certain, sure, but we can only go on what we know and value now to pass our judgement. 

I think if Grealish hadn't made such a big deal about his connection to the club and fandom, it'd be a lot easier to digest and understand. 

• Like 1

If he leaves it is the most cowardly move in the history of the game. If he does go I hope we make it clear the bond is broken. We don't ever want him back we don't ever want him to claim to be a supporter after he is done. Actions speak louder than words and leaving here is a shot to the chest to the club. He isn't welcome back ever. 

• Like 2

Â