The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

Would it be possible for him to become one of the best players in the world at Aston Villa? 

That moniker demands a certain level of success and media love - neither of which I believe would be possible with us. 

The decision to go on this basis does not surprise me. As a professional, he has to want to be the best, and I think he has a decent shot. I would have liked to have seen him do that at Villa...but I can't honestly say I really believe that would ever happen. 

Just now, nick76 said:

I’m sorry I don’t agree.  Yes I haven’t been in his place but I have made major life changing decisions that are comparable to a major decision and thus I know based on that I would stay at Villa.

It’s a fallacy and horrible straw man. We don’t have to owe him anything. He made the decision despite the club placating him at every level. He still walked away when he got the first sniff of the limelight. 

Just now, villa89 said:

Bollocks. If you were in his shoes you'd have left too. He's a professional footballer, has the chance to win the european cup, the league, treble his wages, work under one of the greatest managers of all time, etc. 

The begrudgery is laughable. Good luck to him he owes us nothing and will go down as one of the best players we've ever had. 

No, I wouldn't. That's just not who I am. 

• Like 1

Just now, villa89 said:

Bollocks. If you were in his shoes you'd have left too.

You don’t get to say that. I’m VERY confident I would have chose to stay at the Villa. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I’m sorry I don’t agree.  Yes I haven’t been in his place but I have made major life changing decisions that are comparable to a major decision and thus I know based on that I would stay at Villa.

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

I agree with the bit in bold but not with the rest - we can only go by our own experience, values and thoughts. 

If I were offered the two opportunities now, I'd go with being a Villa legend all day long. 

It's purely hypothetical, sure, but that's what I'd choose. 

I'd say the same.

But if I'd spent 20 years at the club, and played for the first team for as long as I had, and achieved POSSIBLY all I would achieve at the club, and I was one of the best players in the league, being offered the opportunity Jack is being offered, would I say the same then?

None of us can say we would. Because none of us have ever been in that position

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I'll be taking him out of my fantasy team.  Not out of bitterness but because he'll be rotated to ****.  Even KDB is frustrating to have in that.

Step up, Mr Buendia.

Whilst he's to good to be a rotation player, I absolutely agree he'll be that type of player at City. I think he'll play a similar role to how he was used in the Euros, as an impact sub. 

Upside is Smith can now shape the team in a way that doesn't have to accommodate one player above all. I've felt, and said it on here in the past, that Grealish could be a ball hog at the worst moments. 

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Of course it is. Because he's an academy graduate and he's so so good.

If another graduate who wasn't as good was leaving the club for someone better we wouldn't care. 

Grealish being so good is why people are turning against him

Agreed, but I think this is specifically because he's a Villa fan.

Incredible academy graduate who supports Arsenal decides to move when club is on the up?  Annoying.  Incredible academy graduate who supports Villa decides to move when club is on the up?  Very disappointing.

It's hard to fully grasp because we know what it feels like to support this club.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

{the video I have posted here is from last year, please don't think it's from this year and we're seeing a massive U-turn}

A year is a long time in football, I suppose. Watching the video from last year is quite the experience today: 

'My future lies at Aston Villa'. What he meant to say was: 'the next 11 months of my future'.

He didn't  'believe in the project': he believed in them paying you however many tens of thousands of pounds more per week. 

I'm sure this is a measure of his lack of charisma in the interview, but I was struck at the time by his complete lack of enthusiasm in the interview. He should have saved us some time: 'I signed the deal because the other clubs wouldn't meet Villa's asking price. But I'll be waiting for my agent to get a call from Pep as soon as possible'.

And here we are.

Exactly how I see it.

Given how much love our fans have shown him, and the faith the club have kept in him despite his early travails, he’s still jumped ship at the first real opportunity. I still believe he’d have gone to manure last summer but it fell through for one reason or another and he signed that contract knowing there was a clause in there to get him out. 

Was a great player while he was here and it’s horrible to see him go, but never a legend in a million years.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mantis said:

We're progressing well though and have made ambitious signings.

we have but we're nowhere near man city

look at even leicester, they've won the league, they've won the FA cup, played 1 season in the CL - they are nowhere near man city

On 30/07/2021 at 15:02, Steero113 said:

He hasn't left us you plonker????

He is quite literally the only reason we are even in the league let alone talking about Europe, a project and "striving to challenge the top 6". 

Unbelievable short-sightedness and stupidity. 

Or just accepting the inevitable a few days before it happened. Cheers for calling me a plonker / stupid though.

Also Jack Grealish is absolutely not the only reason we are in the Prem.

2 minutes ago, El Zen said:

I really don’t understand how you can be so defeatist, buddy. 

How is that defeatist?

He's one of the best players in the league. We're a midtable club. He is far too good for us in our current state.

Yes we'll improve, i'm sure we will. But he's going to one of the best teams in Europe.

Even in our wildest dreams when would be the soonest Aston Villa could offer him the success he'll have at City? 10 years?

• Like 1

The only thing important now is the club as a whole(Including everyone on here) coming together to prove that he has made a mistake. Hopefully that drives us this season and come next May were all laughing when we end up in Europe. 

**** Grealish this is the Aston Villa show!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MachoFantastico said:

Whilst he's to good to be a rotation player, I absolutely agree he'll be that type of player at City. I think he'll play a similar role to how he was used in the Euros, as an impact sub. 

Not for £100 million he won’t. 

I think he’s a fantastic player and actually interested to see how he does. But I honestly think once fans take their claret and blue tinted specs off when watching him will realise he is not this Messi type player they seem to think he is. Remarkable talent yes, going on to win PFA awards and Ballon D’ors etc like some claim. Not a chance in hell.

• Confused 1

Â