The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

10 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

they have really stuck their necks on the line with this. that sounds very definite to me

It's not like they've got much of a reputation to protect.

How often have they got it wrong? Plenty.

Does it stop people clicking on the next link? No.

Will this be the most visited Grealish article this morning? Yes.

To be honest, I'm gutted, but I think you can and should try to view the situation in the round.

If he had stayed, we would be going through this all again next summer. If you don't think we would have finished in the European places *with* him (I don't, and I suspect most probably agree with that) and you also don't think we will be relegated *without* him (again I don't, though with much less confidence TBH), then his marginal value is just where in the middle of the table we finish plus he's entertaining to watch, which are not nothing but arguably are not enough to justify turning down £100m (if we even had the choice).

If we have an extremely strong youth team - and I think we do, at this point - then our aim should be bringing people through the academy, getting into the first team, trying to win stuff with them and if not selling them for huge quantities to top teams, then trying to reinvest the money smartly. Our future as a club is this, basically, and we should probably lean into it rather than rejecting it.

There's no point pretending it's anything other than very disappointing right now though.

• Like 1

We'll survive without Jack. We may even go from strength to strength, I think there's a good chance we will.

What won't survive is me having any faith in a footballer. I think this is the last time I'll believe that anyone who wears our shirt cares a fraction of the amount that we do. I really bought into the PR BS. Never again. 

• Like 3

I have to admit, I’m feeling a lot less confident after that Heil article, and I wouldn’t usually trust them to get the date or yesterday’s weather right. 

• Haha 1

IF it's true Maybe they wanted to be 100% sure Bailey was over the line before letting him leave?

Our forward line now without Jack looks pretty awesome.  

Just now, bobzy said:

I don't think there's much denial - I think most people are resigned to him leaving?

Yeah...just having a hard time believing that Simon Jones of the Daily Mail has the definitive scoop on the situation, as opposed to taking an educated guess.

• Like 2

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

To be honest, I'm gutted, but I think you can and should try to view the situation in the round.

If he had stayed, we would be going through this all again next summer. If you don't think we would have finished in the European places *with* him (I don't, and I suspect most probably agree with that) and you also don't think we will be relegated *without* him (again I don't, though with much less confidence TBH), then his marginal value is just where in the middle of the table we finish plus he's entertaining to watch, which are not nothing but arguably are not enough to justify turning down £100m (if we even had the choice).

If we have an extremely strong youth team - and I think we do, at this point - then our aim should be bringing people through the academy, getting into the first team, trying to win stuff with them and if not selling them for huge quantities to top teams, then trying to reinvest the money smartly. Our future as a club is this, basically, and we should probably lean into it rather than rejecting it.

There's no point pretending it's anything other than very disappointing right now though.

Yeah, this won't be the last time we get cherry-picked. It's basically the Brentford model but at a higher level. If we get the recruiting right it can eventually pay off (as it has for Brentford). It's just not fun seeing your best players go. This one hurt more than most as he's been playing the 'one of us' card for the last few years, but I think we can all see through that now. I won't be falling for it again anyway.

Just now, sidcow said:

IF it's true Maybe they wanted to be 100% sure Bailey was over the line before letting him leave?

Our forward line now without Jack looks pretty awesome.  

Yep and it will only get stronger before the window closes.

Just now, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

You're probably right, actually--the majority seem to have come to terms with it. A minority seem to be in utter denial.

There’s a big difference between those positions and the crap the Mail publishes. 

Ian Taylor posts 'calm before the storm' on his Instagram.

I'm not one for reading crap in to nothing, but today that feels like a hint from a man who does know.

He didn't stay for loyalty, he stayed until the offer was good enough for him personally. Now it is.

Â