The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

I guess time will tell ......one thing we can agree on is grealish a possible massive talent 

I'd say most of us would just be agreeing with the handful who've seen him, so it's a lot of hearsay tbh

Grealish from what I've seen of him play, which isn't much, he has a unique style. Excellent first touch. The ball never far from his feet when he dribbles. Deceptively fast, he almost glides across the ground with the ball. Uses skill moves and sense of balance to get passed opposition players. When he releases the ball, near or inside the penalty area, the subtle ball short is a favourite. That's his trademark for me so far: creative dribble then the short ball. Not great at shooting. 

• Like 1

With those traits Grealish brings something to the team nobody else gives us.

Delph dribbles but doesn't have an end product, unless it is 40 yards backwards to Guzan.

Albrighton is quick and has a good cross but is a winger without the ability to beat a man. 

Grealish is more than Albrighton + Delph.

Grealish has an ability to cut inside from the wing, like a lot of great modern wingers - Bale, Ronaldo.  We scored from that move in NextGen final. If he could add the shooting...

I think most media commentators will make comparisons to Chris Waddle. Similar build and technical skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC67tFYfmQs

Okay, similar. Chris Waddle was a big character. 

Edited by Con

Grealish from what I've seen of him play, which isn't much, he has a unique style. Excellent first touch. The ball never far from his feet when he dribbles. Deceptively fast, he almost glides across the ground with the ball. Uses skill moves and sense of balance to get passed opposition players. When he releases the ball, near or inside the penalty area, the subtle ball short is a favourite. That's his trademark for me so far: creative dribble then the short ball. Not great at shooting. 

The traits which you mention above are all far more important than shooting or finishing at his age. I'm no expert but from my experience of playing football at university level, a decent shot will develop with age. At 18 his legs, quads and hamstrings especially, will still have a great deal of strengthening to do. I would imagine Villa will only just be beginning a strength conditioning program with him now as using weights isn't really reccomended until the rest of the body is fully developed. The next 3 years are key though and some experience in and around the first team will be a real boost to his confidence levels and motivation to see what he's working towards. All in all, very promising player - I just hope people don't expect him to even be at League 2 standards yet as he's only just become a young adult really. Looking forward to keeping an eye on him, his position is something every football fan likes to see!

PS. don't mention Wilshere as quite frankly his development was freak and I think somewhat caught up with him last season with his injuries.

Edited by dnmacf
  • Like 1

Grealish doesn't really use a trick to go past people, there's not a bundle of flashy stepovers and the like, he just sort of runs past people, and they always seem to just let him - like voodoo - he must have an incredible sense of balance, he sways through defences. If he can keep that and develop into a better athlete, then there's a big future for him. 

• Like 1

Grealish doesn't really use a trick to go past people, there's not a bundle of flashy stepovers and the like, he just sort of runs past people, and they always seem to just let him - like voodoo - he must have an incredible sense of balance, he sways through defences. If he can keep that and develop into a better athlete, then there's a big future for him.

Agree with this

Some good posts CON are you trying to reinvent yourself as an SGC clone by saying sensible things in the academy threads followed up by "interesting" comments in the the first team threads? ;)

I think Jack is very exciting - I have said a number of times that his intelligence is a big asset of his and will likely be the main weapon that decides whether or not he makes it as a PL player.

I'd like to back track on that a bit because I didn't realise he is still only 17 so he has a lot of physical development left to do. It will be interesting to see how that pans out and what it does to his game.

It's an unfair comparison but we all saw how Ronaldo went from a wiry kid with plenty of skill into an absolute behemoth in a couple of years. Bale another example too.

Not saying Grealish is going to do that by any means but if he can add a bit of power to his game it will give him a much better chance.

So did Delfouneso and in the first team briefly

Who you said would be as good as Drogba. Full of...

I was only about 16 or 17 at the time!

And we're going to hold it against you forver :wave:

Â