The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I'm still not sure what manner he's leaving under 

And people are kidding themselves, he'll be perfectly fine at city, front and centre of their marketing, he'll be absolutely huge for them on and off the pitch, look at some of the hyperbolic guff that was on here during the euros, now that's been binned off and people think he'll be nothing special at city? No chance, world's his oyster 

I agree I think he will fit in any team. I just don't see a scenario whereby we welcome him back. If he goes he's gone. He leaves at a point when we could as a club could be elevated having our own global superstar. I think it's poor timing but more so after last year's comments when signing the new deal. 

As others have already mentioned. There seems to be this idea that he leaves, we clap, pat him on the back and wish him all the best. And if he goes away wins trophies, we welcome the prodigal son home when his career is on the downer and all's fair. 

Sorry but I don't share that feeling. I know many who dont. We'll see anyway. It's one subject I want to see how it plays out before judging  anyone. My personal feeling is all his football friends have been setting us up for this all summer during the euros. Saying he deserves xyz. I think he'll go.

4 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

All day every day we listen to and see media bullshit and manipulation and laugh at its obscurity. Nothing has really happened with Jack so far that doesn't happen every day. 

Some of the stuff on here is inspirational, some is funny and some is cringeworthy embarrassing for our fan base.

Burning out all those little fingers won't change a thing.

Oh and.....

IMG-20210731-WA0000.jpg

How can the light that burned so brightly suddenly burn so pale?

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, FrannyLee1968 said:

Spend the 100 million wisely. 

Thanks, that hadn’t occurred to me. I’ll pass it along to the gibbering idiots in charge. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think we have to understand that every step of progress we make is going to result in other teams looking at our players. It's something we need to get used to. Both Southampton and Leicester have had key players taken from them over the years with Leicester re-investing the money wisely and continuing to progress. It's a model we need to try and replicate. It's pretty much the only way to be "successful" with the constraints of FFP, which is a joke at this point. 

Edited by PieFacE

7 minutes ago, MachoFantastico said:

Sounds like he's off than. Honestly wish him the best, great player who I really hope does well at City. Sometimes big moves don't always work out but we'll have to wait and see. Hope the fans don't give him a lot of stick. Given that it's a straight £100 million I'm guessing there was an agreement done last year for Jack to leave. Sad day but life goes on. Villa will never be a top four club when you keep selling you best players sadly. 

Think we'll struggle to work without him this season, be fascinated to see what Smith does. 

Agree with everything you say apart from the part in bold. Leicester have (nearly) proven over the past 2 seasons that it is possible to sell your best player and reinvest the money in building a better team/squad. It only works if you let one of them go at a time, which is what their model is. (Mahrez one summer, Maguire next summer, Chilwell next summer etc). 

There is also the example of Liverpool when they sold Coutinho. They were desperate to hold onto him, Barcelona wouldn't go away and eventually were forced into selling him for £140m. Everyone was convinced that was them done for. They didn't even get a like for like replacement, just invested the money across the squad in different positions (Alison, Van Dijk) and won the champions league the next season. 

I don't think we'll ever be able to find a like for like replacement for Jack as I genuinely think he's one of the rarest types of players. But if we change the way we play, invest in different types of players, we could end up with a better overall team (albeit without anyone in the team as good as Jack)

4 minutes ago, Awol said:

Thanks, that hadn’t occurred to me. I’ll pass it along to the gibbering idiots in charge. 

condescending pri*k 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, FrannyLee1968 said:

I don't think he will. He'll be playing with world class players and in a system that will take his game to the next level.  He won't flop. He's an incredibly talented player.

I see many think he'll play on the left wing, but I see him playing more in midfield in a rotation with KDB and Gundo.  No doubt he'll play wide occasionally though.

I also see concerns around Jack's shin problems, well given City play in excess of 50 games a season and have a very good squad there is no need for him to play in every fixture (which he won't) so he'll get decent breaks to keep him fit.

Spend the 100 million wisely.  Don't be like Spurs/Bale.

👍

Had time to calm down.

I'm still not convinced he won't weigh everything up and decide the feeling of being at home at Villa is too much and decide to stay.

The £100m must be a release clause. Which would make the transfer request story complete rubbish. In that case, it's purely up to NSWE/Dean to convince him of their ambitions.

But part of me thinks if the money is reinvested in the right way, we could emerge stronger. And Jack's such an incredible player, a *small* part of me wants to see just how good he would undoubtedly be when surrounded by world class players. I think he would elevate City from 'just about the best' to 'another universe' and they'd win every game 5-0.

I'd love to see that happen at Villa but our owners don't seem to be wanting to break FFP rules any time soon. So we probably aren't going to be challenging for the CL within the next 2 or 3 years.

He wouldn't get my blessing to leave but I can understand it. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I think we have to understand that every step of progress we make is going to result in other teams looking at our players. It's something we need to get used to. Both Southampton and Leicester have had key players taken from them over the years with Leicester re-investing the money wisely and continuing to progress. It's a model we need to try and replicate. It's pretty much the only way to be "successful" with the constraints of FFP, which is a joke at this point. 

Yes that’s true. If our owners are really ambitious and not the Lerner/Doug etc , top up another 20m and bid 120m for Foden. Of course he wouldn’t come but as long as there’s a official bid , it shows we are not the pushover Villa of past , and will improve the morale of the team as well . 

18 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

All day every day we listen to and see media bullshit and manipulation and laugh at its obscurity. Nothing has really happened with Jack so far that doesn't happen every day. 

Some of the stuff on here is inspirational, some is funny and some is cringeworthy embarrassing for our fan base.

Burning out all those little fingers won't change a thing.

Oh and.....

IMG-20210731-WA0000.jpg

If he’s put in a transfer request, he can **** off that door. 

• Like 1

Theres probably more bubbling under the surface here than just him going for trophies. He just announced the other day that he is staying with Nike . As we all know Jack is now Hollywood Box Office. Articles in Vogue . Tunes being made about him. Mens Health 6 page spreads. He maybe has been given promises from Nike that if he is at a Champions League club then they will pay him a fortune, give him his own football boot and make him the face of Nike for the UK. He will go into the stratosphere. Whether we like it or not Nike will get far more exposure if he is at City. 

This isnt just a battle of his love for the villa vs his ambition to win stuff. It is far more than that . 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, darrenm said:

we probably aren't going to be challenging for the CL within the next 2 or 3 years. 

That’s primarily a question of recruiting and retention. If we can’t keep our best players then no, not a chance. But the CL is easier to win than the PL, imo. Breaking the top four isn’t impossible, and once your in the competition anything can happen - even Spurs made the final. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mantis said:

If he does go I do hope it's via a release clause/transfer request or something that makes him rather than NSWE look bad. We need to be united and no player is bigger than the team.

Why would NSWE ever look bad from this? They've done everything in their power to keep him to date really 

• Like 1

He has to want to go or we have to accept the bid. There is no release clause we have done away with them and our owners will not and have not allowed any to be added to contracts since they have been in charge.

If we let Jack go because the money is deemed as to be good business then I would like to see the argument  they use for that case. We will never attract a talent like Jack again, we will have to bring them through the youth system. 

If we let him go because Jack insists he wants to go then we should screw city for every penny .

There's another factor that has been mentioned  and that's Jack's fitness . We all know about the shin splints and he's England performances still showed he was not 100%, could it be Jack can't play a full season at top level without his shins playing up? Would he pass a medical? 

Â