The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

Just that back when Grealish was sitting on the bench watching Villa's unbelievably soporific attack muster next to nothing from match to match, I was screaming for him to be given a chance because he was exactly the type of player we lacked. Arguing that he couldn't possibly have done any worse than what we were seeing at the time and even the counter-argument that "what if he's not ready" wasn't valid because he couldn't have done any worse. The fact he has subsequently proven that he was very much ready and everyone is now waxing lyrical about him is satisfying and I'm glad we are now reaping the benefits.

The problem wasn't that he wasn't given a chance.

He was given a chance and he wasn't very good. He played plenty of minutes under Lambert and was never anything other than average.

The problem was that he, like many other players, wasn't performing under the previous manager. The credit that Sherwood deserves isn't that he's given Grealish a chance, its that he's got Grealish and the team performing so well so that when Grealish got his chance he played well enough to be kept in the team.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

Lambert bought him on out wide on the left didn't he? He certainly seemed nowhere near as effective as he is now floating in the centre, but then again the whole team is performing on another level.

He had some 10-15 minute cameos, hardly "plenty of minutes". It's odd because if we had signed Grealish from another league, no way would the same sort of thinking apply. When it comes to signings, concepts like adaptation to a new league and the need for game-time to bed in exist. When it comes to players from the academy, where exactly the same circumstances apply, such concepts are thrown out of the window and the player must instantly hit the ground running. Not that Grealish did that badly anyhow, it was a mixed bag.

Edited by Isa

Just that back when Grealish was sitting on the bench watching Villa's unbelievably soporific attack muster next to nothing from match to match, I was screaming for him to be given a chance because he was exactly the type of player we lacked. Arguing that he couldn't possibly have done any worse than what we were seeing at the time and even the counter-argument that "what if he's not ready" wasn't valid because he couldn't have done any worse. The fact he has subsequently proven that he was very much ready and everyone is now waxing lyrical about him is satisfying and I'm glad we are now reaping the benefits.

He was given a chance and he wasn't very good. He played plenty of minutes under Lambert and was never anything other than average.

The problem was that he, like many other players, wasn't performing under the previous manager. The credit that Sherwood deserves isn't that he's given Grealish a chance, its that he's got Grealish and the team performing so well so that when Grealish got his chance he played well enough to be kept in the team.

I think the main difference is he's started him. Getting the odd 10 minutes to show what you can do is difficult. Being given the opportunity to start is a whole different level of trust placed on you.

I think the main difference is he's started him. Getting the odd 10 minutes to show what you can do is difficult. Being given the opportunity to start is a whole different level of trust placed on you.
Lambert started him.

He was crap.

I agree with Stevo, it's more than just getting a chance. It's Tim-magic.

He is being watched tomorrow by scouts from wolves, hoping for a short term loan starting next season.

One of the reports a few weeks back about him said he was going to join Wolves on a loan until end of season but was shelved last minute with Lambert about to get sacked, he wasn't making the 18 let's remember in the final few weeks of his reign so that's probably where you've got the Wolves linked from.

He had some 10-15 minute cameos, hardly "plenty of minutes". It's odd because if we had signed Grealish from another league, no way would the same sort of thinking apply. When it comes to signings, concepts like adaptation to a new league and the need for game-time to bed in exist. When it comes to players from the academy, where exactly the same circumstances apply, such concepts are thrown out of the window and the player must instantly hit the ground running. Not that Grealish did that badly anyhow, it was a mixed bag.

He was excellent in the Sunderland sub game I thought, brought a spark to our play (not hard) and also the Hull appearence was hilarious for him getting lumps kicked out of him by about 5 different Hull players, those are the two cameos I remember anyway.

Of course he then had a poor game v Blackpool and Lambert washed his hands of him.

I love him I do, but he's still a bit raw.

Needs to be a bit quicker with the ball and stay on his feet. Otherwise, incredible. Glides around the pitch, fantastic with both feet, clever, can spot a pass.

Future legend :)

Looked a little bit casual on the ball today. But of arrogance maybe.

That will come with experience though. Overall another great game for him.

Â