The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

1 minute ago, mikeyjavfc said:

but with time the fan base would forgive

No chance....it's not just leaving though, it's what he has said, he's one of us, he signed a 5 year deal last summer saying he brought into the plan and we are on the up and this would help derail us.  Delph was bad but this would be on another level because he's one of us, this wouldnt be forgotten.

• Like 3

It’s weird how this saga has gripped me… I’m almost obsessing over it. I’m desperate for a positive outcome for Villa, but I just know it’s going to go the exact same way as the other players that we have sold to the ‘big’ clubs. I’ve largely refused to read a single article on the matter, and I’m purely going off what I learn from this thread. 

Football is such a crazy thing. 

Edited by Tayls

7 minutes ago, Tayls said:

It’s just so obvious what is happening though… they don’t need to say anything. 

It might well happen, but so far there’s no evidence. The fact it feels likely is based on our knowledge of how these things usually go, and the natural pessimism with these sort of things. 
I think it probably will happen now, but I won’t slag Jack or the club off before it’s a certainty (and I still won’t actually if it does happen). 

1 minute ago, Djemba_Villan said:

I also sincerely hope that when people get over the initial hype of the move…

they do remember a player who literally dragged us out of the championship back to a stable PL club (with the help of owners that created an environment we didn’t NEED to sell him)

Every player has their price. £100m is pure profit we all need to remember too. How many regular transfers would that typically take?

Also £100 million the club doesn’t need. 

6 minutes ago, Tayls said:

We might not have booed the entire time, but I don’t think anyone particularly cared what direction his career took from that point. For me, the interest goes as soon as a player leaves us… I just really struggle to give a crap… maybe I’m a bit harsh. 

Same. My point was simply Jack leaving like this leave a far more bitter taste in my mouth. For me this is sickening!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Interestingly, just chatting to my pal on this, who said a release clause is the minimum the player has to be offered. Generally the buying team will activate the release clause, then to sign it'll be plus whatever the club think he has gained during the years the contract was signed. He could have signed that clause 4 years ago, so obviously the player would be worth more than the clause in the contract.  So typically Villa could easily ask for £130m due to him playing at the Euro's and his increased commercial revenue.

I personally I don't think it's gonna be as straight forward for city as the media are making out.. Release clause or not, they ain't getting him for 100m, I don't care what the media are putting out, it's all bull. they obviously know nothing.

What? The release clause, if it exists, would be from signing the contract last summer. If a club bid the amount required then the clause is met.

I don't think it's actually open to interpretation like your pal thinks.

The decision would rest with Jack entirely if the clause is met.

£100 million is also serious money, breaking City and the PLs' record by a lot. Nobody can complain about the money side of it.

Edited by Mr_Dogg

Big question is - will this thread hit 3000 pages by close of play today. At 2886 now (I appreciate some people see different numbers depending on how they view it)

7 minutes ago, Djemba_Villan said:

I also sincerely hope that when people get over the initial hype of the move…

they do remember a player who literally dragged us out of the championship back to a stable PL club (with the help of owners that created an environment we didn’t NEED to sell him)

Every player has their price. £100m is pure profit we all need to remember too. How many regular transfers would that typically take?

Rubbish.

We've done as much for him as he's done for us.

As for the money, football isnt about profit and £100m doesnt replace you a talent like his and also the commercial value he brings into the club and the extra points on the pitch.  100m would be severely undervaluing his value to the club.  It's massive money but what he brings to the club is massive as well.

Plus if you are a club on the up, you dont sell your best players

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Big question is - will this thread hit 3000 pages by close of play today. At 2886 now (I appreciate some people see different numbers depending on how they view it)

It'll hit 3000 by 12:00 mate.🤣

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

No chance....it's not just leaving though, it's what he has said, he's one of us, he signed a 5 year deal last summer saying he brought into the plan and we are on the up and this would help derail us.  Delph was bad but this would be on another level because he's one of us, this wouldnt be forgotten.

Speak for yourself. Grealish gets no hostility from me when he comes back to play us next season, only the height of respect.

15 minutes ago, Enda said:

For me, words have lost all their meaning then. Miserly is not being able to afford Erik Baake on loan. Miserly is the poor players a few year back in Aberdeen having to buy their own toast after training. British transfer record isn’t miserly imho, in fact I’d say it’s more than reasonable.

Maybe I should get an encyclopaedia, whatever that is, or a dictionary then 😛

• Haha 1

Just now, Tommo_b said:

Also £100 million the club doesn’t need. 

we are still a business ultimately. Only Man City, PSG and the Spanish Duo run off blank check books in world football.

I know what you’re saying…but in the last we have lost out on not selling players at their ‘peak’ value.

imagine we kept him and he got crocked 5 games in. We must use this as a FFP buffer, invest well and build a squad…which were half way to doing…which I know makes it more agonising.

Players hold the power these days. No matter what you do. All a club can EVER do is retain as high a value as possible through protecting their ‘asset’ contractually. Once they want to leave it’s a question of how much…for EVERY club except Man City in the PL.

It will be hugely disapppointing if he goes, but with Buendia and a further 100 mil to spend, it will be a big failure in recruitment if we cant end up with a better, more rounded team than last season

Jack is an amazing player and pretty unique in his style, but lets not kid ourselves that there aren't other players in the league who are just as effective in terms of actual output

The biggest loss is going to be to the feel around the club; with jack its more than just what he does on the pitch and he was the focal point of all the progression over the last few years

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

What? The release clause, if it exists, would be from signing the contract last summer. If a club bid the amount required then the clause is met.

I don't think it's actually open to interpretation like your pal thinks.

The decision would rest with Jack entirely if the clause is met.

What happens if his pal is Christian Purslow? 🤔

Just now, Johnnyp said:

Speak for yourself. Grealish gets no hostility from me when he comes back to play us next season, only the height of respect.

I think you'll be in the minority then, respect is definitely not what he'll get.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Â