The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

7 hours ago, KentVillan said:

God that Sam Lee is a **** annoying smug word removed.

Clearly absolutely loving the attention, while pretending he’s just an honest jobbing journalist.

Yes we get that you have sources and aren’t just making it up out of thin air. But  you can “source” a lot of stuff. And clearly the temptation is there to go for the big stories that generate clicks (and ad revenue / subscriptions), which means you drop your guard when sourcing.

If the Athletic’s Villa coverage is anything to go by, these journos are not especially well informed.

Apparently in his article he claims that Jack will replace Gundogan and play centre midfield for City

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

In the event that Grealish is off… I really hope all of us fans don’t turn on the owners over it 

That would be daft, seeing as the only reason Jack is still with us is that they came in and turned us around. We'd be in the Championship still or worse otherwise...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Still feels to me like paper talk by journalists that don’t have much to write about so chuck in some lazy reports about bids being made. I will start to take it more seriously if a bid actually materialises. I see to remember an official bid going in for Harry Kane prior to the euros but nothing further seemed to happen with that. In truth I’m surprised that isn’t more of a story for the papers to make stuff up about given the numbers City would have to pay for Kane it seems far more attractive a story to me. 

on another note, if they do start dropping offers in for Jack why would we accept anything other than way over market value. If I own a house which is worth £200k that I really like and I don’t want to sell and someone knocks on my door and says I want your house I’ll pay £200k that deals not happening so it’s got to be way over market value to get my interest pricked. So if jacks value is £100 mil why would we sell him for that given we don’t want him to go and we don’t need the money.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Apparently in his article he claims that Jack will replace Gundogan and play centre midfield for City

Lee also said the Sun article about them bidding £160m for Kane was reliable (tl;dr it wasn’t). 

1 hour ago, Villaphan04 said:

In the event that Grealish is off… I really hope all of us fans don’t turn on the owners over it 

dont be mad at anyone at villa, dont be mad at jack, dont even mad at city...honest is angry man shouts at cloud stuff but its what football is, much like the anger over the ESL stuff, this is the bullshit that the PL is, its what FFP is, its what the CL is...

and dont get me wrong its absolute **** bullshit 

we just have to hope our owners can buy a seat at their table whilst bearing in mind that the last time we tried they changed the rules so that we couldnt...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

dont be mad at anyone at villa, dont be mad at jack, dont even mad at city...honest is angry man shouts at cloud stuff but its what football is, much like the anger over the ESL stuff, this is the bullshit that the PL is, its what FFP is, its what the CL is...

we just have to hope our owners can buy a seat at their table whilst bearing in mind that the last time we tried they changed the rules so that we couldnt...

Mad at Jack? I’d be very disappointed in Jack but not mad.  People can say about about trophies at Man City but it doesn’t compare to what he has at his boyhood club and what it should mean to him.

29 minutes ago, blunther said:

£75m, lol.

If that's true I wouldn't even give it the dignity of a response.

If this £100 million clause does exist why on earth would they think we would accept £75 million plus add-ons. He is an England international add-ons are an insult.

If Jack wants to go then Man City pay what we want and he can sod off.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Mad at Jack? I’d be very disappointed in Jack but not mad.  People can say about about trophies at Man City but it doesn’t compare to what he has at his boyhood club and what it should mean to him.

but again i think to an extent thats what football is now, the romantic idea about winning the FA cup as captain of your boyhood club being the pinnacle of your life...its not anymore is it? 

the sales pitch from man city wont just be trophies, it wont just be money, its biggest player in the world stuff, forget call of duty here's pepsi wanting to put you on a can globally, its household name in america stuff, its celebrity model wife stuff, the new beckham stuff, his ceiling for global marketing is beyond aston villas, its not "football" as we want it to be - because football isn't what we want it to be anymore

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i think we should just reject any offer assuming no release clause. force him to stay. i don't see him kicking up a fuss anyway. gentlemans agreement that he can leave next summer if we don't qualify for europe

i wont be mad at anyone at villa, but i would be a little disappointed in the owners/purslow if we let him leave. we hold the cards here, no reason at all why we should back down

• Like 4

Just now, tomav84 said:

i think we should just reject any offer assuming no release clause. force him to stay. i don't see him kicking up a fuss anyway. gentlemans agreement that he can leave next summer if we don't qualify for europe

i wont be mad at anyone at villa, but i would be a little disappointed in the owners/purslow if we let him leave. we hold the cards here, no reason at all why we should back down

If there is a release clause then we should only sell if the release clause is met as there's nothing we can do about it anyway.
If there is no release clause then stick a stupid value on him like £200m. 

• Like 1

So, the Daily Mail had this to say a couple of weeks back:

"There is talk of a buy-out clause in Grealish’s contract. I have been told with certainty it exists yet Smith has denied it.

Whatever the case, Villa have an opportunity to make this situation work for them."  Ladyman

Now, they're saying that Man City have made an opening bid with this new "article". No one has a clue, but it generates clicks. Unfortunately for print media, the more speculative and opinion-based the article, the more revenue it generates. 

Notice there's no articles trying to unsettle players to go to Villa using the supposedly incoming £100m.

22 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

but again i think to an extent thats what football is now, the romantic idea about winning the FA cup as captain of your boyhood club being the pinnacle of your life...its not anymore is it? 

the sales pitch from man city wont just be trophies, it wont just be money, its biggest player in the world stuff, forget call of duty here's pepsi wanting to put you on a can globally, its household name in america stuff, its celebrity model wife stuff, the new beckham stuff, his ceiling for global marketing is beyond aston villas, its not "football" as we want it to be - because football isn't what we want it to be anymore

Sad, but true. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’m not so sure about this. If he wants to go, genuinely wants to go, then we should allow him to leave but for a reasonable fee. To me, that is around the £130m mark. 

There is no point in keeping a player who doesn’t want to be here and as I’ve mentioned previously, 10 teams finished above us last season without Jack Grealish so he’s not the be all and end all. We’ve put a system in place (and spent a lot of money on it) where we probably have stats/data on most players in Europe so there is no reason why we can’t reinvest that £130m straight back into the team and improve. 

For example, we could go out and buy Bissouma, Ward Prowse and McNeil. Add those 3 players to the Bailey signing and are we not stronger than last year? My knowledge of the European leagues is fairly poor so I’m sure you lot can name 3 better players we could buy with that cash!

The difficult of course is signing these players after Grealish leaves as we won’t be as an attractive proposition. 

The key indicator that Jack will be leaving will be when we sign a player for big money that either plays in his position or we strengthen an area of the squad we perhaps weren’t going to this summer. 

I go through peaks and troughs with this transfer. Some days I can’t live with the idea that he wont be an Aston Villa player next season, other days I’m pragmatic about it and realise that even the best teams lose their better players and can bounce back stronger. 

Either way, I think this drags into next week. There is nothing I’d like more than for Grealish to extend his contract on the Friday before the Sevilla game and both him and Bailey line up against them. Goosebumps.

No likes left, but...

Nailed it. 👍

Â