The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

4 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

of course the point is if they keep their better players they would have finished top 4.....

Kante, Chilwell ,Maguire Mahrez have all finished in the top 4 and played Champions league football with their new clubs since they left Leicester.

shame our interest in Chilwell cooled

#crapjoke

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

But also a significant drop from winning the league...

'Significant drop' is relative when you consider the teams they're up against at the top.  I wouldn't have thought many Leicester fans strongly expect them to win the title again soon (some are probably still getting nosebleeds when they look at the final league standings of the past two seasons). Specifics pertained to that Ranieri-managed run to the title.  Their current form of the past two seasons indicates the beginnings of more substantial consistency and consolidation under Rodgers (and is ominous for the clubs aspiring to get in amongst 'em: Villa, Spurs, Arsenal, Everton). It can be seen as representing a more productive version of the kind of run Villa were achieving under O'Neill, if you like.

Edited by deck
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

But also a significant drop from winning the league... apply the same respective decline to our team (of their best league finished since winning) and we finish next season in the bottom 5.

A big drop would be something like spurs or arsenal. Leicester have cemented themselves as a top 6 side, something we aspire to. That is In spite of losing some world class players along the way. 

Not only did Giannis win a title, he did so with a legendary performance in Game 6, one that will go down in history. 50 points/11 rebounds/5 blocks was unreal, you'd be hard-pressed to find more than a handful better finals performances throughout history.

Jack has a chance to go down in Villa legend for the next 100 years, no joke. Or he can become another "oh yeah he was pretty good when he played for City" type players.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Made In Aston said:

A big drop would be something like spurs or arsenal. Leicester have cemented themselves as a top 6 side, something we aspire to. That is In spite of losing some world class players along the way. 

But they didn't lose the players before they got to the top. Thus, they had a reputation to use to get the replacements in,  and knew they had a strong foundation to start from.

I stand by the fact we're royally f%$cked if we lose Jack this year, for any amount of money. 

2 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Fair to say Leicester over achieved when they won, but to not finish top 4 since is a sign that even though they did well in getting replacements, they aren't as good as they were.

Leicester's problem is not that their newer players aren't good enough. Their best XI are good enough for a Champions League spot. Their problem is squad depth. That's why they've faded at the end of the year two years in a row. All the "big" clubs have at least 16-18 players good enough to start. A deep squad keeps players fresh and gives you options in case of injuries. Leicester were lucky not to have any serious injuries in 2015-16.

It's a lesson we need to learn from as we build.

As for the Milwaukee Bucks winning the NBA championship: If Jack or anyone else had any questions about whether Wes Edens is willing to do what it takes to win, that should put an end to the doubts.

• Like 1

Its crazy how much his profile has grown this summer. I remember checking at the start of the last season and he was at around 1million followers on instagram. He has now hit 3million, and pretty much every female under the age of 35 I know is now following him. He has really crossed over into the mainstream consciousness. 

All these comparisons to Leicester. But what’s being strongly missed is the wealth of our owners… we don’t need the Jack money to reinvest. We are going to spend that money anyway. When FFP was somewhat real, sure. But we all know that’s out the window now the big clubs are in trouble across Europe…

If i own a Da Vinci, I could for sure sell it and buy several Picassos... But going from several Picassos to one Da Vinci is next to impossible because no one wants to sell one to me, EVEN IF I HAVE THE MONEY.

Edited by ChicagoVillan1983
Added

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Not only did Giannis win a title, he did so with a legendary performance in Game 6, one that will go down in history. 50 points/11 rebounds/5 blocks was unreal, you'd be hard-pressed to find more than a handful better finals performances throughout history.

Jack has a chance to go down in Villa legend for the next 100 years, no joke. Or he can become another "oh yeah he was pretty good when he played for City" type players.

As a lakers fan I was pretty disappointed this season, after the highs of last year. Everybody knew Giannis was a special player, but that performance and that playoff win will have meant so much more to him because he was in a Bucks jersey. I know Jack watches the NBA, I hope he’s paying attention.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

As a lakers fan I was pretty disappointed this season, after the highs of last year. Everybody knew Giannis was a special player, but that performance and that playoff win will have meant so much more to him because he was in a Bucks jersey. I know Jack watches the NBA, I hope he’s paying attention.

Compare that to AD I guess, who is his closest rival in terms of position. He did it the easy way. Might be a bit unfair to him though considering the Pelicans were going nowhere fast.

• Like 1

Just now, Keyblade said:

Compare that to AD I guess, who is his closest rival in terms of position. He did it the easy way. Might be a bit unfair to him though considering the Pelicans were going nowhere fast.

Wes needs to be given credit I guess. And I don’t blame AD as such, as you said, going nowhere fast. The trade off made more sense for the Pelicans for what they were getting in return.

1 hour ago, handsworthvilla said:

He has now hit 3million, and pretty much every female under the age of 35 I know is now following him. He has really crossed over into the mainstream consciousness. 

The good side of this is now the amount of “come to Utd” or “come to city” posts on his social media have now been diluted by a large volume of women propositioning him. Now it’s women saying “Jack, come to me “ instead. 😂

Edited by NeilS

15 hours ago, MarkLillis said:

of course the point is if they keep their better players they would have finished top 4.....

Kante, Chilwell ,Maguire Mahrez have all finished in the top 4 and played Champions league football with their new clubs since they left Leicester.

We had Chilwell, Mahrez, Maguire in the same team and finished mid table. The issue is here, players heads get turned and when they do performances drop off. Chelsea made Chilwell their best or second best paid player, silly money. And obviously offered him an opportunity to win stuff on a more regular basis, of course heads will be turned for that. 

Selling players isn't an issue if you do so smartly, rather than say a Southampton who lost their entire team in the space of two windows. You can't plan for that, we tend to buy a player with an eye on the fact someone in that position will be going a bit down the line. Also, if you hold on to them all, people will just start running down contracts to get out and you end up losing money. Players and agents will see you as awkward and could avoid joining a team who refuses to provide a pathway upwards. 

We don't want to sell our better players, but we're realistic. The reality of it is, there will always be clubs ahead of Leicester or Villa in the food chain, so you just embrace it and work around it, with the aim of becoming a Dortmund in the premier league I suppose.

We can't compete with oil money, so you have to be smart. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

All these comparisons to Leicester. But what’s being strongly missed is the wealth of our owners… we don’t need the Jack money to reinvest. We are going to spend that money anyway. When FFP was somewhat real, sure. But we all know that’s out the window now the big clubs are in trouble across Europe…

If i own a Da Vinci, I could for sure sell it and buy several Picassos... But going from several Picassos to one Da Vinci is next to impossible because no one wants to sell one to me, EVEN IF I HAVE THE MONEY.

You know our owners are also mega rich? Unless you are paying people £200,000 / £300,000 a week, I'm afraid players are going to want to go. I can't see you doing that any time soon. 

15 hours ago, Keyblade said:

This was my thinking when Barry was going. He could have been a club legend for us. The kind of guy who could turn up to villa park with his grandchildren and be loved. The kind of guy different generation of fans talk about. 

And whilst he has some trophies, what is he to city fans? Or any fans now? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Â