The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

4 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Which one constitutes being ambitious?

Attempting to win a trophy at the club you love and using your ability to help drag them up to your level

or

Being parachuted into a squad that has already won the league before a ball is even kicked, with absolutely zero soul and romanticism.  Whilst spending half the time picking splinters out of your arse (even DeBruyne is rotated).  

Spot on. 

I went on Twitter… saw the comments on the sky sports tweet about Jack…

It made me angry.

Lesson learned here, Man City fans are arrogant and forget it was only 13/14 years ago they were a relegation fighting team, and only been a “big 6” team for 10 seasons. 

Some ambition and pedigree right there. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

I went on Twitter… saw the comments on the sky sports tweet about Jack…

It made me angry.

Lesson learned here, Man City fans are arrogant and forget it was only 13/14 years ago they were a relegation fighting team, and only been a “big 6” team for 10 seasons. 

Some ambition and pedigree right there. 

Not so long ago - Shaun Goater was heralded as one of their best ever players.

They’ve bludgeoned their way to the top with billions of pounds spent in transfers and wages to secure their stay at the top.

Citeh now have a change in fans (in expectation and entitlement) since takeovers catapulted them into the financial elite of the premier league.

I've no problem with Citeh, they took a long time to get it right even with all the money in the world - but on Jack, if we keep him, it's possibly a sign of changing times - we are fortunate to have wealthy owners but who have hit the ground running from the get-go, had they run Citeh back then Citeh would have won the champions league already. Keep Jack, add one Buendia, and also maybe one or two big signings and I honestly think we've nothing to fear next season when Citeh come around, I think we'll match them. But of course we need to do that week in week out. 

City more than anyone should be very understanding of our current situation, but they seem to have forgotten where they came from. Mindblowing levels of arrogance and disdain towards Villa. We’ve seen first hand what that club did by picking off our best and sending us spiralling in the past. With all the buying up of trophies in the last 10 years, they’ve still not won as much as Villa and are calling us tinpot 😂 . But I suppose they dont like seeing anyone else try and build a side to compete. Im sure if we get close the referees will allow for another 20 yard offside goal to stand

Proper City fans will, in the main, respect Villa. They know where they've come from, that traditionally Villa are a bigger and more successful club.

The plastic fairweather idiots will talk trash. They are of no consequence at all though. Hollow scumbags with no soul. I have far more respect for Blue noses.

• Like 4

Just now, Mazrim said:

Proper City fans will, in the main, respect Villa. They know where they've come from, that traditionally Villa are a bigger and more successful club.

The plastic fairweather idiots will talk trash. They are of no consequence at all though. Hollow scumbags with no soul. I have far more respect for Blue noses.

Read a comment on twitter, one of the fairweather types saying he thought it admirable that greshish was staying at his home town club Aston.

• Haha 1

People genuinely confident that something won't transpire tend not to feel the need to "protest" their lack of concern too much.  I think it's fine and natural for people who badly want Jack to stay to have a few niggling doubts at this point in time, it just needs to be acknowledged that someone driven to making bullish assertions that they're not worried is basically communicating that they're feeling the opposite on some level, regardless.  Some are sort of trying to use expressions of confidence as incantations.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, deck said:

People genuinely confident that something won't transpire tend not to feel the need to "protest" their lack of concern too much.  I think it's fine and natural for people who badly want Jack to stay to have a few niggling doubts at this point in time, it just needs to be acknowledged that someone driven to making bullish assertions that they're not worried is basically communicating that they're feeling the opposite on some level, regardless.  Some are sort of trying to use expressions of confidence as incantations.

I hear what you are saying here although i remember a time when all & sundry were concerned & up in arms when we sold our best player to a rival (Wolves). Everyone thought we were doomed until the following year, having signed Peter Withe as his replacement, we won the League! Since then i don't worry too much when key players leave. 

As per Jack it would of course hit us somewhat as he is if anything a bigger part of this club than Andy Gray was and i do worry that we would drop down several places as things stand if he left right now. You would think there would be a plan to make us stronger in several positions however if it did happen, so whilst it would be sad on many levels we could still move forward as a club.

Edited by danceoftheshamen

24 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Lovely.  That one Serie A triumph with Roma lends that Totti quote its clout, though.  It wouldn't resonate as much if it had read:  "Never wining a single Serie A title with Roma, to me, is worth winning 10 league titles at Juventus or Real Madrid"

Edited by deck
sp

12 minutes ago, deck said:

Lovely.  That one Serie A triumph with Roma lends Totti's tweet clout, though.  It wouldn't resonate as much if it had read:  "Never wining a single Serie A title with Roma, to me, is worth winning 10 league titles as Juventus or Real Madrid"

But in 100yrs time Roma fans will still be talking about Totti and his great grandkids will walk past his statue on the way to the game with their mates and be able to say ‘he’s family’

Ambition is relative, acquiring legend status and driving your home town team to success is a far greater achievement than winning stuff at a club that wins something every year. Arguably just qualifying for the champions league would be more of an achievement than City winning the league. And with these owners it’s not like that’s some pipe dream. In the words of the great man himself:

Would you bet against us? 

6 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

What was the Villa post?

It said ‘do you think Jack will be a villa player next year’

:trollface:

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

The most tedious thing I read, absolutely everywhere, is when people claim he has no ambition if he doesn’t join Man City. 

What is ambition? What is his ambition? 

Is ambition needing to win medals at a club you have no affinity to? What if ambition is trying to push your boyhood club on into the top 4/6? 

The way the media, fans, clubs talk about ambition really needs to change and that goes for every club. Maybe players like Phillips, Rice and Grealish are happy where they are? Just once I’d like to read an article where the word ambition isn’t linked to winning trophies. If the media desperately keep pushing for every half decent player to join one of the ‘big 6’ then it’s just a closed shop and football remains boring. 

I’m also not so sure about this obsession with the CL. The old rivalries, local derbies stuff that’s built up over daft things that only real fans understand it just isn’t there in the CL. I remember times when we just couldn’t beat SHA, even when we were Champions of Europe we lost to them, it would depress me for weeks. I don’t even remember who knocked us out the following season.

Early European rounds generally get low crowds. I’m not sure if it’s still the same but while the CL is a huge financial gain, I’m pretty sure UEFA Cup or whatever they call it now generally costs clubs money. I think I read that when Rangers did well in it a few years ago they only made £400K and they reached the final. They were running a loss up until the final. 

It’s all over hyped by the media but I don’t think it holds the similar level of appeal to fans. I’m not even sure players are as bothered as the press make out. This players only want to play for clubs in the CL is quite probably a false narrative. It certainly doesn’t romantically nourish me that much. Finish fourth next season or fifth and win the FA Cup? I know what I’d prefer. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Until someone from his camp directly says he wants to leave then I will treat this as bluster with his agent doing his job to increase his value in both contract and branding.

There are no signs of that, nor of any signs of Villa rushing to look for replacements.

I also can't even see City buying both Kane and Grealish in the same window. Kane has taken about a year to set up a move so I doubt Jack will be going anywhere this summer.

We could well be doing all this in 2022 but for no I think he will stay.

Â