The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

5 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

This is a myth. In WW1 they fought with the allies because Austro-Hungary had claimed their territory and was threatening them for it. Yes they were originally in a pact with Germany and the Habsburgs but that doesn't make them turncoats they were defending themselves. 

And in the 2nd world war. They just lost. Their capital had fallen. And a "democratic" government had been out in place so of course for the remainder of the war they were on the side of the allies. Mussolini didn't go oh no! We are losing and then declare on Hitler to join the allies. He got brutally executed. 

You’re right Mussolini had to be rescued by German Commandos having been imprisoned by his own fascist government. He was killed by Italian partisans in 1945. I don’t think there was ever any great enthusiasm from the Italian people to join the war on either side. 

None of which has any significance on Sunday’s game! 

15 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

This keeps going way off topic.  I'm sure I'm as guilty as most but would be great if we could stick to discussing Jack Grealish.

Agree mate, I’m guilty as well but in truth I would happily never see Grealish in an England shirt again if it meant I would see him in a Villa shirt for the next 4 seasons. 

14 hours ago, Thug said:

Of course I want England to win, whether Jack plays or not.

Of course I will have huge respect for Southgate if he pulls off what many before him couldn’t manage.  Even more respect than I have already accumulated for him for even reaching the final.

Jack and Tyrone are in touching distance of winning a medal whilst they’re playing for Villa, which hopefully would be enough to let them believe that they don’t need to move to win something.  I’m absolutely buzzing off the feel good factor surrounding England right now.  

However, if someone comes to the Jack Grealish thread on VillaTalk and vents their frustration about him not being picked because the England manager (in their opinion) is setting up the team far too defensively - I don’t think it’s right to start calling them part of a ‘cult’ that wants to ‘rim’ Grealish, and be accused of being stupid.

The argument has drifted and drifted with people getting increasingly offensive and defensive and of course no one is willing to back down.

But essentially this is the argument under all the layers of filler:

“If Southgate wasn’t so defensive, Jack would probably have had a starring role, and we would still be in the final having been more entertaining to watch.”  Or you may believe that without the defensive tactics we may not be in the final at all.

Essentially that is IT. There’s no need to be horrible to one another over any of it - No one wants to ‘rim’ Jack, and I certainly hope that no one wants to ‘rim’ Southgate.

Lol, I don't think ONE person begrudges a poster being frustrated that Jack hasn't featured as much as we would like.

I'm pretty sure that covers ALL of us, English or not.

The way you have presented your post above, makes it seems like people are purely venting their frustration in a civil manner.

I've seen Southgate called everything from a Nonce to Mounts sugardaddy.

I've seen people straight up say they want England to lose if/when Jack isn't playing. ( English people )

I've seen people attack every other player featuring in the positions Jack occupies - who's only real crimes are, well, not being Jack Grealish.

You don't want people to be " horrible " to the people being outlandish, but don't mention the people being extremely ridiculous the other way around.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

First major final in 55 years... "did anyone really not expect it?"

We are a strange species. 

When it's written down like that, it emphasizes just how insane certain posters are 🤦‍♂️

You can admit you were wrong about Southgate lads. It's fine. I've swallowed enough humble pie this summer regards tactics selection Southgate and Sterling. I was wrong. He's nailed it.

Come on lads. It's fine. Nobody is going to judge and you won't look stupid saying I was wrong. Southgate has done bits.

Come on boys. You can say. You won't look foolish. It's not too far gone with the saving face routine.

Come on fellas. It's okay.

I was wrong. Southgate has done a double decent job this tournament and turning the whole national team around along with the mentality.

We're in a major final. Following a semi. It's not luck. It's not the draws.

You're safe.

I. Was. Wrong.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

You can admit you were wrong about Southgate lads. It's fine. I've swallowed enough humble pie this summer regards tactics selection Southgate and Sterling. I was wrong. He's nailed it.

Come on lads. It's fine. Nobody is going to judge and you won't look stupid saying I was wrong. Southgate has done bits.

Come on boys. You can say. You won't look foolish. It's not too far gone with the saving face routine.

I was wrong. Southgate has done a double decent job this tournament and turning the whole national team around along with the mentality.

You're safe.

I. Was. Wrong.

God this is tragic. Have the church of latter days saints been to your house or something?

13 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

You're safe.

I. Was. Wrong.

Nope. 

If he had listened he’d have got to the final better than what he did. So. 

bbc GIF

Edited by Tayls
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

You're safe.

I. Was. Wrong.

He’s done well with tactics, but he’s a walking contradiction with ANYTHING Grealish related, and Sancho too slightly. He’s a geography teacher who has had to step in and do PE and the school has the best set of PE students in the country. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

You're safe.

I. Was. Wrong.

Yep  

I moaned about Southgate all through the group phase and I was deflated when I saw the team for Germany. But he's been vindicated. He's got us to that final. After Germany, for me he had a complete free pass with decisions and tactics. 

9 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Yep  

I moaned about Southgate all through the group phase and I was deflated when I saw the team for Germany. But he's been vindicated. He's got us to that final. After Germany, for me he had a complete free pass with decisions and tactics. 

For me it’s like Bruce getting us to the play off final.

• Like 1

Only one other English manager in history has achieved what Southgate has already.

To even begin to suggest that an alternative approach could have resulted in a better outcome so far in this tournament is absolutely batshit mental. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

He was wearing a red shirt. Clearly a lifelong Manchester Utd fan.  

He must be such a proud dad. 

...bet he's hoping we lose the final on Sunday because Southgate refuses to start his son.....

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

OK then. We really are turning into a fan base others will mock. 

If this was Newcastle fans over one of their players, or Leeds fans, we'd be ripping the piss out of them. 

Who the bloody hell cares what other teams’ fans think, though? 

I think Southgate’s treatment of Grealish is absolutely bonkers. If a Leeds fan wants to mock that, I really don’t care. 

I said in a different thread, I really don’t understand the grandstanding and belittling of fellow Villa fans for being (overly) protective of Villa’s homegrown captain and superstar. We’re Villa fans. The reactions against some people for being fanatically protective of Jack have been really uncomfortable and disappointingly unpleasant. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Who the bloody hell cares what other teams’ fans think, though? 

I think Southgate’s treatment of Grealish is absolutely bonkers. If a Leeds fan wants to mock that, I really don’t care. 

I said in a different thread, I really don’t understand the grandstanding and belittling of fellow Villa fans for being (overly) protective of Villa’s homegrown captain and superstar. We’re Villa fans. The reactions against some people for being fanatically protective of Jack have been really uncomfortable and disappointingly unpleasant. 

Being a fan and being fanatical have very different overtones (and it seems like a lot of sources think the words are unrelated, with "fan" apparently coming from "fancying" a team whereas "fanatical" means mad with religious fervour). I'd be happy for you think I'm a Villa fan, but I wouldn't describe myself as fanatical about Villa. There's certainly other things in my life I value a lot more.

Why is it unwarranted to belittle people being overly protective of Jack (your word, not mine), even if they are fans? Do you think being a fan just gives you a blank cheque to act however you want and nobody is allowed to criticise you for it?

Edited by Panto_Villan
  • Like 1

Â