The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Mourinho talking about Southgate not needing to play defensively is brilliant :D

I think Southgate has dealt with the whole 'Grealish' situation brilliantly, if I'm honest.  Personally, I'd have started him every game but I'm biased and Southgate needs to do what he feels will win him games.  Let's face it, it's worked.

I agree. I would have Grealish starting over Saka or Mount. I feel he has been misused a little but it's not like the quality is significantly lower. 

Southgate prefers Mount and Saka who are incredibly fit. They're like Watkins kind of fitness. 

If I were managing I'd prefer that extra bit of quality going forward. 

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

And the pace of the game went up 

Same as germany

Points to him being used in the right way unfortunately... 

How can you say that?  Why not get the pace of the game up from the start??

2 hours ago, Lord Willard said:

Would be nice, not too fussed about seeing a photo.Jack will be partying  24/7 so I don't fancy a photoshoot while having diluted pupils.

BUT 

Doesn't mean that can't confirm and announce the new contract with signing ESR while Buendia having a photo shoot in the new kit. 

Would be too much from a marketing perspective, so they'll drag each announcement out. 

I hope he's not driving home afterwards!! 🙈

5 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

How can you say that?  Why not get the pace of the game up from the start??

Because I don't think that works, especially in the final

I'd be very surprised if England came out the traps in top gear Sunday night

But to be fair to Southgate he has changed it up a little this tournament, we've had 3 players start on the right, 2 different midfield shapes too, he could do anything Sunday, I'm leaning 70/30 towards grealish not starting as I think he'll go 5 at the back again, I think southgates masterplan will be the Germany game rinse and repeat 

And if jack comes off the bench and does the same again I am 100% OK with that 

Edited by villa4europe

1 hour ago, Annoyman said:

Bit harsh on Raheem given that winning a penalty (which was initially missed anyway) and forcing a defender to make a clearance which results in an own goal don't teeeeechnically count as assists but had the same effect

I think he has looked more like a false "9" than a wide player.  For me, he doesn't have the first touch to play out wide - any more (he seems to have lost it) - and I think Pep has recognised that by not playing him much BUT he could be really interesting as a false "9" for them next year.  Runs from deep, hard to pick up and can dribble - he could do some damage and would be tough for your typically 6 foot plus centre back to mark. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Because I don't think that works, especially in the final

I'd be very surprised if England came out the traps in top gear Sunday night

We definitely won't with Safegate.  He is completely safety first.  I personally find it very frustrating to watch this talented England squad used so negatively.  I would definitely start Jack but playing two 6's in CM is just ridiculous in my mind.  He is pushing Phillips into more of an "8" role and he has never played that role - not for Leeds.  He is not particularly comfortable in receiving the ball in advanced positions from what I have seen and adds nothing around the box.  I like both Phillips and Rice and think it is great that we have options at "6" at last BUT they should not be playing together from the start.  If he wasn't going to use Bellingham/Mount/Hendo as an "8" then he should have taken Ward Prowse - plays 8, just as energetic/mobile as Phillips and brings a free kick ability that we don't have elsewhere.  I think this is where we could get overrun on Sunday night if Veratti and Jorginho turn up - they are just better ball players than our CM'ers.

22 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I think he has looked more like a false "9" than a wide player.  For me, he doesn't have the first touch to play out wide - any more (he seems to have lost it) - and I think Pep has recognised that by not playing him much BUT he could be really interesting as a false "9" for them next year.  Runs from deep, hard to pick up and can dribble - he could do some damage and would be tough for your typically 6 foot plus centre back to mark. 

He is coming across more of an Owen type player than a winger these days imo. 

• Like 1

Yeah the options for Jack on Sunday are pretty obvious. If England are winning then he wont be used. If they are losing and he comes on and they still lose it will obviously be gutting for him and the team/nation. If they are losing/drawing and he comes on then he could be the hero or he could not be involved with a potential equalizer/winning goal. If we see him, it will be win or turnaround the game, its as simple as that.

As I'm not a Jack cultist, I would much prefer England are 3-0 up after 60 minutes and not see Jack than him coming on and maybe or maybe not winning the game. If, and its a bif if, England are comfortably going to win with minutes to go then I wouldnt be that surprised if Southgate gives him a token few minutes but England would have to be completely home and dry and lets face it, its highly unlikely Italy are going to be thrashed.

The perfect scenario imo would be the game being drawn, last minute, Jack makes a run, skins a couple of players and puts it on a plate for Kane to score the winner. I would rather Jack get a dazzling assist than score.

Jn

17 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

We definitely won't with Safegate.  He is completely safety first.  I personally find it very frustrating to watch this talented England squad used so negatively.  I would definitely start Jack but playing two 6's in CM is just ridiculous in my mind.  He is pushing Phillips into more of an "8" role and he has never played that role - not for Leeds.  He is not particularly comfortable in receiving the ball in advanced positions from what I have seen and adds nothing around the box.  I like both Phillips and Rice and think it is great that we have options at "6" at last BUT they should not be playing together from the start.  If he wasn't going to use Bellingham/Mount/Hendo as an "8" then he should have taken Ward Prowse - plays 8, just as energetic/mobile as Phillips and brings a free kick ability that we don't have elsewhere.  I think this is where we could get overrun on Sunday night if Veratti and Jorginho turn up - they are just better ball players than our CM'ers.

Its too late for that

I dont like it either but Rice and Phillips is happening Sunday night 

The only question is will it be as a 2 with 5 at the back or as a 3 with mount / Henderson / grealish and I think the liklihood of who it is is in that order and then on the right will it be saka / sancho / grealish with sterling switching, and again that's in order of liklihood 

I think he's 1st choice as sub but 3rd choice in either position for starting based on what we've seen so far, not basing it on what we should be doing or what I want us to do 

20 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

We definitely won't with Safegate.  He is completely safety first.  I personally find it very frustrating to watch this talented England squad used so negatively.

You find it frustrating to watch an England team march to the final having conceded one goal and having scored 8 in the last 3 games?

It's great that you're winning Gareth but you're not winning in the way fans like. Sort it out!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

You find it frustrating to watch an England team march to the final having conceded one goal and having scored 8 in the last 3 games?

It's great that you're winning Gareth but you're not winning in the way fans like. Sort it out!

Are you on Southgate's protective detail? People are allowed to have nuanced opinions beyond final=good, not final=bad. The poster you replied to also wasn't speaking for "fans", they were speaking for themselves. 

Personally I'm delighted we're in the final, but I've found all of our games boring as anything and annoyingly I missed the Ukraine game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

You're entitled to your view (just as I am by the way), but I don't enjoy watching negative football - 8 defenders and two fast wide players plus one who I'm not really sure what he sees his role as??  If you like that then good for you - you're certainly getting plenty of it over the past few weeks! 😉

I have said the same under Villa - at the back end of O'Neill I was contemplating giving up my season tickets - we were doing well but I wasn't enjoying watching it.  I was still a Villa fan and we were high up the table but I just wasn't enjoying the product.  Same here I'm afraid - watching football is about entertainment for me and I haven't seen much of that other than when Jack has made his all too brief cameos.

• Like 3

Just now, markc said:

Jason Cundy always sounds like that, he's a cock🤗

I’m talking about the caller, don’t try and distract from how embarrassing that caller was! Yes they egged him on and yes they are c***s. If it was any other supporter we all be laughing. Like we have done with other callers of theirs. 

the thing that is most embarrassing is that there is people on this forum who have the same viewpoint as the caller. 

Hyperbolic conspiracy cringefest when it comes to Jack and southgates England 

1 hour ago, Thug said:

Maurinho on talksport this morning hit the nail on the head.

Said that Southgate taking Jack off was nothing but tactical.

However he absolutely didn’t need to make this defensive change, denmark were shattered, and England in total control.

Bringing on a defender was not necessary, having Jack on the pitch would have been easier to manage possession than inviting more pressure.

Regardless, it’s clear that Southgate trusts Jack ahead of Foden, Rashford, Sancho - which is brilliant if you think about it.

Southgate’s explanation that he expected Denmark to throw on another striker and go four up front just suggests to me he made the decision before Denmark had to take the injured lad off and go down to 10 men. By the time they all came back on the field the decision was done. I think if that hadn’t happened we still would have won but the last 15 wouldn’t have been the training exercise it was with Denmark a player down.

9 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Are you on Southgate's protective detail? People are allowed to have nuanced opinions beyond final=good, not final=bad. The poster you replied to also wasn't speaking for "fans", they were speaking for themselves. 

Personally I'm delighted we're in the final, but I've found all of our games boring as anything and annoyingly I missed the Ukraine game.

Bye Bye Reaction GIF by GritTV

10 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

You're entitled to your view (just as I am by the way), but I don't enjoy watching negative football - 8 defenders and two fast wide players plus one who I'm not really sure what he sees his role as??  If you like that then good for you - you're certainly getting plenty of it over the past few weeks! 😉

I have said the same under Villa - at the back end of O'Neill I was contemplating giving up my season tickets - we were doing well but I wasn't enjoying watching it.  I was still a Villa fan and we were high up the table but I just wasn't enjoying the product.  Same here I'm afraid - watching football is about entertainment for me and I haven't seen much of that other than when Jack has made his all too brief cameos.

You sound like a West Ham fan. "We want to play the West Ham way!!". Well the "West Ham way" has won them **** all in 40 years. I watch movies to be entertained. I watch Villa hoping they will win. Yes I would prefer they play good football but I can look the other way if we're winning ugly as we frequently do.

As for England, I find it incredible, entitled and spoilt that people can dare question the way a team who has underachieved and failed almost constantly for nearly 60 years has reached a final they may win. Just a few years ago England were being thrashed by Germany, failing to get out of groups and beaten by Iceland. But they arent playing attractive enough football now. It's unbelievable.

But you're entitled to your view I guess.

• Like 1

Â