The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

1 minute ago, darrenm said:

It certainly looked that way at first last night until seeing the context. And there definitely was an agenda against him before the tournament with the odd inconsistency in justification by Southgate for not picking him. But in this tournament, you can't argue that Southgate has brought him on every time he's needed him. Personally, I think it's a travesty he's not starting every game but that's a tactical disagreement.

I agree to some extent. I'm not sure it was an agenda, I just don't think Southgate rated him, which I think was insane. 

But you could see that changed after the Belgium game. The way he spoke about Jack after that game showed that. 

He also didn't have to take him to this tournament, he had the fitness levels as a ready made excuse. He also hasn't needed to bring him on in key moments over sancho, foden and rashford. But he has. 

I think Jack should start every game. I don't get why saka has become undroppable. I think Jack is arguably our best player. But at the same time, the results are there.

2 hours ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

The same Portugal side that Germany put 4 past? , Wait, England beat Germany.....

That old misguided logic. The season after we lifted the European Cup we lost to SHA. The Noses used the same logic to claim they were the best team in Europe. It just doesn’t work that way. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, TRO said:

I was disappointed for Jack tonight, but could see the logic.....as soon as Harry scored you could predict what was coming......Sterling was never coming off, his best game for us ,for some time.

Had Harry not scored, Jack would have stayed on....GS made his decision and the score supported that.

I guess Reece James and Chilwell can feel hard done by, just winning the Euro cup and all.

Jack has been entering these games and not doing anything wrong, but the tactics are so finely tuned, he is suffering as a result.....I fear at times, in order to make the decision to keep him on, Jack needs to be a tad more selfish and put himself in goal scoring postions.

He needs a few goals to supplement his play.

It's funny how it always seems to be a question of "needing more of something" when it comes to Jack. 

• Like 1

i was disappointed jack came off but they saw the game out so it was the right decision, one thing is for certain england will not beat italy without using jack in the final so lets not despair he still has a big role to play……..possibly the biggest 🤟😎

Edited by Villa94
  • Like 1

You don’t have to be biased to see that Jack doesn’t press as well as other players in that team. It’s pretty obvious when you watch him play for England and compare his pressing to others on the pitch. He just isn’t as good at charging down players and putting them under pressure. No shame in that, he does stuff that the others can only dream of. No different than the fact he isn’t has good at pressing as Watkins or Trez for villa.

If Southgate has an ‘agenda’ against Grealish I think that’s all it is. He thinks he can only play Grealish when the press can relax a bit, like when we are chasing a goal. The fact he is being used as a sub when we are chasing games shows Southgate still appreciates Jack’s attacking talents.

22 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Also, lots of people on here aren't English so assuming everyone should support England is a bit of a standard rude English trope.

Yeah, but if you're a foreigner who doesn't actually care if England remain in the tournament you can't expect England supporters to take you seriously if your stance is our manager is a rocket polisher because he doesn't play sufficiently attacking football.

People like that deserve to get the same reaction as Samatta's idiot Tanzanian fans who only cared about seeing him rather than what was good for the team he played in. AVFC wasn't obliged to entertain them, and England aren't obliged to entertain the neutrals.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Amazed Stans tweets have been largely ignored to continue bitching about England (when we made a final for the first time in most of our lives or living memories!)

It's coming home and Jack's staying home. 

I don't really think it means much. Looks like he was just trying to tease fans. 

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I don't really think it means much. Looks like he was just trying to tease fans. 

I disagree, he seemed pretty flipping delighted about something Jack’s dad had told him and said of course he’d asked The Question. Let’s just hope Jacks dad is telling the truth and all is signed sealed delivered etc

2 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I disagree, he seemed pretty flipping delighted about something Jack’s dad had told him and said of course he’d asked The Question. Let’s just hope Jacks dad is telling the truth and all is signed sealed delivered etc

I actually think he will sign a new deal. I'm not convinced that Jack's dad told him and then he decided to share it and delete it. 

Why claims he's heard something from Jack's dad, just to delete it straight after? 

Just now, DCJonah said:

I actually think he will sign a new deal. I'm not convinced that Jack's dad told him and then he decided to share it and delete it. 

Why claims he's heard something from Jack's dad, just to delete it straight after? 

Not really something he should be putting all over social media--can see why he would regret and ultimately delete it.

I think Southgate doesn't want it to become the Jack Grealish show. The results are good at the moment so Grealish not being selected/subbed sub  is a sub plot.

(Sub overload)!!!

I felt for the lad last night and admit his substitution did taint the result for me.

Does that make me a terrible fan?!? 

He will undoubtedly play a part in the Final as we’ll struggle to break Italy down and he is proven to be the go-to guy to makes things happen off the bench.

id still like to know how Mount justifies his continued starting berth but also feel he is a victim of the tactical system we play. 

I think ultimately Southgate’s reign as England manager has been a lucky one. He’s inherited a brilliant attacking squad yet plays ultra defensive most of the time. Another manager would have us tearing teams apart with our attacking flair, dare I say it, even our own manager would be far more expensive with the players at England’s disposal. 

Our draw for the Euros is another good example of this, our biggest challenge to date has been an underwhelming Germany side, who are not the side they once were. Granted we beat them but during Southgate’s reign we haven’t really ‘bettered’ the better, more established international sides.

Don’t get me wrong I’m supportive of England and want us to do well but Southgate has frustrated me more than excited me during his reign and I don’t see that changing moving forward.

Also on Grealish, he so had an agenda before, think it’s mellowed a little now but not sure he rates him too highly though. I think he’s an old fashioned manager and likes the graft. He sees Jack as not having that but we all know better 😀

Hoping for a winning first international goal for Jack on Sunday though. UTV

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

England aren't obliged to entertain the neutrals.

This is absolutely true... but I find it equally rude and demeaning , that we 'neutrals' aren't allowed to voice our opinion... when it doesn't conform with the majority view.

Edited by vreitti
  • Like 4

41 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I don’t think there’s an agenda either to be honest. I just think Southgate is a limited defensive manager who doesn’t really understand how to properly use Jack. 

What Southgate is though is a lucky manager. He has got the media on his side which is important and continues to get results. Fingers crossed that his and our luck holds on Sunday. Either way then Jack and Tyrone both get winner’s medals. Even better if one or both of them get time on the pitch. They both deserve it. 

I have to agree completely.  Southgate doesn't believe that controlling the game and possession and offering a significant threat at the top end of the pitch is the way to see a game out but prefers to sit back and defend deep.  His tactics, imho, are so basic - when you let teams dominate possession like we did the Danes in that second 15 of ET (even though they were down to 10 men) you always run the risk of a flukey goal flying in.

I also agree that he is the luckiest manager that we have had in years.  This is the second tournament in a row where he has had the benefit of an extremely kind draw.  He also has the best squad of English players that we have had in years and again, imho, does not know how to use them.

The key example for me is using Rice and Phillips together.  I like both and think it is great that we have finally got good options at DCM BUT I do not think they should both be playing.  They are both good at breaking up play - the role that they play for their clubs week in week out - but neither is good as an "8"/progressive/box to box role which is where he has tended to push Phillips. If he was not going to use Bellingham, Mount or Hendo in there, then Ward-Prowse would have bought much more to the team in that role and would have just as much energy as Phillips plus the added threat of his free kick ability.

It really frustrates me watching this negative England team.  I think I would probably rather have watched us having a proper go and using the attacking talent and maybe getting beaten than winning the tournament playing negative football, not that I believe that we would have got beaten with a more progressive side properly managed and nor do I think this side will beat Italy without (a) Italy having a poor game; or (2) some significant input from Jack.  Let's hope that the latter happens!

• Like 2

Â