The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Clearly doesn't trust him defensively and sees him as a luxury player which he probably is to some extent.

He's better defensively in every metric than sterling. Plus he takes pressure off the defence like no one else on football. Look at our defensive stats with and without him. We concede 0.5 more per game without him. 

• Like 1

Anyway, subgate aside.

Did anyone else notice, how much more he got into that game, after Foden came on, and he moved into a " free role _ where he could go anywhere across the front line and middle?

It does make me realise, when we get more threats ( We have already kinda done that with Buendia, Young, and more to come already ), he actually can be really effective in those areas.

When opposition teams are dragged all over the place by other players, it makes it harder to track him, and he can flourish.

In those scenarios, he really wouldn't need to be limited to the left.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, R.Bear said:

Yeah passing the ball around for minutes, not letting the opponent anywhere near the ball, having the crowd shouting olés is the definition of "desperate stuff" 🤦‍♂️

Only because they were completely exhausted and had 10 men due to injury. And were missing their best player the entire tournament. 

What an incredible vat of negative toxicity this website is tonight. Miffed and baffled. 

I'll be off enjoying every moment of this till Sunday and beyond with the rest of normal society. I'm signing off work emails with pictures of 3 lions, links to atomic kitten or just writing ITS COMING HOME to every unsuspecting colleague. 

I'll be merrily telling anyone who says "Southgate is boring and we're lucky to be in the final" that they're more than welcome to put on a brave face and pretend they enjoy it when good things happen like the rest of society. 

I won't be coming back on here again until Monday so enjoy paddling about in your own tears you vocal minority of Grealish rim lickers 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

England are in the final of the European Championship, following a semi final of a World Cup. Steve Bruce failed to get Aston Villa promoted.

He’ll have a plan for Italy. He will then make decisions based on the flow of the game. Steve Bruce struggles to plan his tea in advance, hence the kebabs. 

He may not be everybody’s cup of tea, and he’s not infallible and that’s fine, but a little perspective goes a long way imo. 

I'm not sure mate, just like Bruce I think he'll flub the final. 

Given the flow of the game, where Denmark were clearly tiring, he gave them a lifeline by putting on an extra defender imo. Think it was the wrong decision, and I don't think his logic for it went beyond "winning game -> extra defender -> keep it tight -> Sterling might do something with his pace". Something I'd put money on Bruce doing in the same position.

Basically I'm not convinced he's any different or better than any number of English managers who made their name a decade or 2 ago. 

38 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I rarely see the top managers in the game make moves like this. Chucking on an extra defender and keeping the "speedster" up top sounds like a caricature of 2000's British football of teams with lesser players. This isn't Wigan Athletic 1-0 up at Old Trafford ffs.

If it was Pep, he'd likely value Jack's ball-retention over Raheem's speed and if anything would have put on an extra midfielder to keep the ball.

This is the same Pep who started an out of form Sterling ( " The Speedster " ), and fielded a losing side without a proper CM/CDM ( Which had worked spectacularly for them up to that point ) if we are honest . We can't speculate on what " Pep would do " just to suit our own narrative. Obviously managers see some use in Sterling, and even though he does alot of shite, he can create moments with his speed, and has done so for England, throughout the whole Tournament.

Does that make Pep a bad manager? No, but it does show that different managers have different styles and tactics. Some managers also make mistakes, or draw the ire of fans, even when successful.

I actually have seen subs subbed by the likes of Mourinho and others in the past, but it's a rarity.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:
2 hours ago, R.Bear said:

Yeah passing the ball around for minutes, not letting the opponent anywhere near the ball, having the crowd shouting olés is the definition of "desperate stuff" 🤦‍♂️

Only because they were completely exhausted and had 10 men due to injury. And were missing their best player the entire tournament. 

So perfect game management then? I'm glad we're in agreement. Maybe Southgate should have felt sorry for the Danes and let them have some of the ball, give them a chance. That's what to do in a major tournament semi-final with 10 minutes to go 👍

1 hour ago, R.Bear said:

There's two things that need to be made very clear here.

1. If Foden was subbed off after coming on, no-one on here would give a shit.

2. England have reached the final.

Whatever your feelings are on Southgate's decision making, it doesnt change the two points above. I love Jack as much as the next man but I'm not going to fall into this blinkered nonsensical vortex that some of you are happy to jump into.

Because he hasn't shown contempt for Foden time and time again. 

7 minutes ago, skarroki said:

What an incredible vat of negative toxicity this website is tonight. Miffed and baffled. 

I'll be off enjoying every moment of this till Sunday and beyond with the rest of normal society. I'm signing off work emails with pictures of 3 lions, links to atomic kitten or just writing ITS COMING HOME to every unsuspecting colleague. 

I'll be merrily telling anyone who says "Southgate is boring and we're lucky to be in the final" that they're more than welcome to put on a brave face and pretend they enjoy it when good things happen like the rest of society. 

I won't be coming back on here again until Monday so enjoy paddling about in your own tears you vocal minority of Grealish rim lickers 

Now now, we've all had a drink.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, skarroki said:

walking glancing GIF

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Some fraud then.

Semi finals in the World Cup. Final in the Euros

In the 2 easiest paths to the finals in history. The only easier ones were Croatia in 2018 and Portugal in 2016.

18 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Sterling wasn’t left on the pitch to defend. He was left on to counter. He has explained this.

Grealish is definitely not better by every defensive metric than Trippier. 

I’m not convinced it was the right decision, but there was a clear logic behind it. I’m amused that some are feigning ignorance to it. 

I was disappointed for Jack tonight, but could see the logic.....as soon as Harry scored you could predict what was coming......Sterling was never coming off, his best game for us ,for some time.

Had Harry not scored, Jack would have stayed on....GS made his decision and the score supported that.

I guess Reece James and Chilwell can feel hard done by, just winning the Euro cup and all and not getting a run out.

Jack has been entering these games and not doing anything wrong, but the tactics are so finely tuned, he is suffering as a result.....I fear at times, in order to make the decision to keep him on, Jack needs to be a tad more selfish and put himself in goal scoring postions.

He needs a few goals to supplement his play.

Edited by TRO
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, smg said:

Haven’t read the thread for the last half hour so don’t know what’s been said, however Jack was put on when we needed a goal, during that time we dominated, he contributed and eventually we scored. Fifteen minutes left we need to defend as his job was done, bring on a defender who happens to take penalties which Jack doesn’t and Kane and Sterling do, there is no shame or embarrassment he played his part in a winning squad , job done. People might not like it but Southgate uses a squad to win games and at the moment it clearly works.

Jack does take penalties. By all accounts he's actually very very good at them. One of 2 in the England u-23s to not miss a penalty in training. Only taken 2 for us 1 was a goal. The other was the underside of the bar. He selects who takes the pens. Normally he lets the striker take them to bump up their goal tallies but maybe he should. Because then he can force his way into the team via the layman. 

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

This is the same Pep who started an out of form Sterling ( " The Speedster " ), and fielded a losing side without a proper CM/CDM ( Which had worked spectacularly for them up to that point ) if we are honest . We can't speculate on what " Pep would do " just to suit our own narrative. Obviously managers see some use in Sterling, and even though he does alot of shite, he can create moments with his speed, and has done so for England, throughout the whole Tournament.

Does that make Pep a bad manager? No, but it does show that different managers have different styles and tactics. Some managers also make mistakes, or draw the ire of fans, even when successful.

I actually have seen subs subbed by the likes of Mourinho and others in the past, but it's a rarity.

I'm not saying Sterling had to be subbed, in fact I think he's been England's player of the tournament. I just don't agree with Southgate's reasoning, and it just so happens that Sterling is the "speedster" in this case. 

I could be misguided of course, and Southgate has been vindicated up to this point so who am I to judge really? It's just a story I've seen play out so many times with similar managers.

57 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Fair play?

Gareth Southgate explains Jack Grealish substitution during extra-time of England win over Denmark | Evening Standard

That involved a shift in formation to a back-three, meaning Southgate had to sacrifice an attacker, and with Raheem Sterling’s pace still a vital outlet, the England boss was left with a choice between Grealish and fellow substitute Phil Foden, who had only made his entrance during the first-half of extra-time.

It was a strategic move. Anyone who thinks it was "personal" is in fantasy land IMO.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Sterling wasn’t left on the pitch to defend. He was left on to counter. He has explained this.

Grealish is definitely not better by every defensive metric than Trippier. 

I’m not convinced it was the right decision, but there was a clear logic behind it. I’m amused that some are feigning ignorance to it. 

Grealish is a better counter attacking player than sterling as well. In fact he is the best in the prem and probably the only player comparable to him at it in world football is spinnazola. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Anyway, subgate aside.

Did anyone else notice, how much more he got into that game, after Foden came on, and he moved into a " free role _ where he could go anywhere across the front line and middle?

It does make me realise, when we get more threats ( We have already kinda done that with Buendia, Young, and more to come already ), he actually can be really effective in those areas.

When opposition teams are dragged all over the place by other players, it makes it harder to track him, and he can flourish.

In those scenarios, he really wouldn't need to be limited to the left.

Quickly almost as if when he plays in the centre and truly has the free role he is the most effective player in the world outside of 3 certain fellows named Robert, Cristiano and Lionel. 

Â