The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

I'm confused by peoples confusion. Southgate uses him as a match winning sub. He feels like his impact is better for 30 minutes or so at the end of games. Grealish changing the game against Germany didnt mean that he would start this, it merely reaffirmed Southgate's decision in his mind.

You may not agree with the decision but I don't understand why people are surprised that he isnt staring this game. If he does the same again today he still wont start in the semi.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

I'm confused by peoples confusion. Southgate uses him as a match winning sub. He feels like his impact is better for 30 minutes or so at the end of games. Grealish changing the game against Germany didnt mean that he would start this, it merely reaffirmed Southgate's decision in his mind.

You may not agree with the decision but I don't understand why people are surprised that he isnt staring this game. If he does the same again today he still wont start in the semi.

So how is he gonna get a starting position then. If he plays well Southgate keeps him on the bench because he's shown he's a great super sub. But if he plays poorly, then Southgate keeps him on the bench because well, he played poorly when he was given a chance.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

I'm not surprised.

I'm just disappointed that a player who has an impact every time he comes on - who is rumoured to be a target for one of the world's richest clubs - isn't good enough for the starting 11.

Does Dean Smith use him as a impact sub ?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Don't think many are surprised, think it's more just a case that they're rightly criticising him for it. Grealish has got a proven track record of playing well for England when he starts as well. The fact that he comes on and changes games isn't because he's some sort of super sub, but simply because he's a damn good player.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

We would have the game won by HT if he was starting

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Grealish started the game before Germany, which was his only start. Which coincidentally is the only time England have scored in the first half. 

8 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

I just fail to get excited about England with Southgate in charge. 

I will be so delighted if we win the trophy but it does feel like hard work watching them.  I suppose winning the trophy is all that matters but the journey to that lacks a bit of enjoyment.  I assume this is how Arsenal fans in the George Graham 1-0 era…effective result wise but tough going watching.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

So how is he gonna get a starting position then. If he plays well Southgate keeps him on the bench because he's shown he's a great super sub. But if he plays poorly, then Southgate keeps him on the bench because well, he played poorly when he was given a chance.

Its irrelevant. All that matters to Southgate is that England win games. He will use whoever, however he feels that will give the team the best chance of winning. It really is that simple.

He feels that Grealish is better utilised as a sub and that may never change but he wont care if they keep winning. I'm no Southgate fan at all but his reasoning makes sense. Of course he's one bad result from it blowing up in his face but when is that not the case for an England manager?

Edited by R.Bear
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Don't think many are surprised, think it's more just a case that they're rightly criticising him for it. Grealish has got a proven track record of playing well for England when he starts as well. The fact that he comes on and changes games isn't because he's some sort of super sub, but simply because he's a damn good player.

Different positions I know but Sancho has been poor for England yet gets a start, just feels injustice to Jack.

• Like 2

If Grealish played for Man City, Man United, or Chelsea he would be starting no doubt, and there woud be none of this talk of him being a super sub, I have absolutely no doubt about that whatsoever. Last time I suggested this people replied back with the lame excuse that Mings was starting, well difference is that with Mings there aren't equivalents in his position to the likes of Mount, Foden, and Sterling all of whom will get talked up by the media no matter what, so easier to start him although as soon as Maguire is fit again Mings loses his place.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I really hope we don’t win the euros tbh. Can’t stand this man being in charge. If we win it’s no testament to him. Another super easy run (please don’t pretend this Germany team is actually any good). We will get to the final no doubt and I suspect be destroyed by Italy. But that probably keeps him in a job for 2 more tournaments. Sigh. 

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, WHY said:

If he’s shins are still an issue, he shouldn’t even be there imo. 

Southgate had to take him, because he was taking Maguire and Henderson who weren’t fit, and he knows there would be a backlash.

It made me laugh when Shearer said maybe Gareth doesn't trust him defensively. Do these pundits even look at the stats?! They're freely available and they'd help them to not look like complete idiot's on national TV.

3 minutes ago, useless said:

If Grealish played for Man City, Man United, or Chelsea he would be starting no doubt, and there woud be none of this talk of him being a super sub, I have absolutely no doubt about that whatsoever.

Nonsense. TAA couldnt get into the team. Rashford doesnt start. Foden has barely played. Amongst others.

• Like 1

I still think they’re managing his fitness to some degree. He played in both friendlies then had to miss a training session or two.

Either way, I’m past getting bothered by it. England stand a chance of winning a major tournament and two Villa players have played their parts significantly. I’m proud of them both and would love it if they both returned to the club with winners medals. Let’s just enjoy it! They certainly will be. 

1 minute ago, useless said:

No it's not nonsense, maybe too much of a nuanced point for some to understand...

You honestly think that Southgate wants to start Grealish but doesnt because he thinks "no way, he plays for Aston Villa, he cant be that good".

If you actually believe that then I've got some magic beans to sell you.

Â