The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

3 minutes ago, Awol said:

Jack wins games but to do it he needs the ball, the team need to play through him to actually utilise his attributes.

His pressing wasn’t great (actually reminded me of Barkley at times last night jogging from player to player) but with the ball he drives the team forward, creates space and opens up defences. 

Either some of his teammates don’t view him as that main guy so rarely pass to him, or, Southgate plays them like soldiers marching around a parade square. Perfectly regimented manoeuvres that are well drilled into the team but child-like in their predictable simplicity. 

Jack is then stood around like a spare p*ick while robotball is executed perfectly around him. 

Southgate is the problem, the only way England progress from here is if the team abandon his plan as soon as the whistle goes and play football instead. 

He was one of the highest pressers on the team.

Agreed on the point about giving him the ball, he needs to be fed over and over again.

One because of the chance he might create something and two mentally and physically it must be draining to have him run at/around/through you for 90 minutes.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Awol said:

Jack wins games but to do it he needs the ball, the team need to play through him to actually utilise his attributes.

His pressing wasn’t great (actually reminded me of Barkley at times last night jogging from player to player) but with the ball he drives the team forward, creates space and opens up defences. 

Either some of his teammates don’t view him as that main guy so rarely pass to him, or, Southgate plays them like soldiers marching around a parade square. Perfectly regimented manoeuvres that are well drilled into the team but child-like in their predictable simplicity. 

Jack is then stood around like a spare p*ick while robotball is executed perfectly around him. 

Southgate is the problem, the only way England progress from here is if the team abandon his plan as soon as the whistle goes and play football instead. 

There was a moment last night where Pickford found Jack with a lovely kick out, Jack brought it down, turned and ran on in one fluid movement and then passed to Kane and moved into space, though there were couple of defenders near-ish to him. Kane didn't give it back, where at Villa he'd definitely have got the ball back. Had he got it back last night I'm certain he'd have gone past the 2 close-ish players and there'd have been the chance for a shot or pass to create a chance for someone else. SO the thing that is missing when he plays for England is the familiarity that players get from playing with each other and seeing that they can trust each other in particular situations. That's currently missing with Jack . Maybe players are instructed not to pass to others with markers nearby, but more likely it's just an unfamiliarity thing, or that it won't have been worked on in training (presumably Mount will have been playing that role in training).

So I agree largely, but it's not just down to the manager. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, blandy said:

There was a moment last night where Pickford found Jack with a lovely kick out, Jack brought it down, turned and ran on in one fluid movement and then passed to Kane and moved into space, though there were couple of defenders near-ish to him. Kane didn't give it back, where at Villa he'd definitely have got the ball back. Had he got it back last night I'm certain he'd have gone past the 2 close-ish players and there'd have been the chance for a shot or pass to create a chance for someone else. SO the thing that is missing when he plays for England is the familiarity that players get from playing with each other and seeing that they can trust each other in particular situations. That's currently missing with Jack . Maybe players are instructed not to pass to others with markers nearby, but more likely it's just an unfamiliarity thing, or that it won't have been worked on in training (presumably Mount will have been playing that role in training).

So I agree largely, but it's not just down to the manager. 

Right, which lines up with my first point: Kane, Sterling and Shaw (main culprits for me last night) don’t see Grealish as that creative fulcrum so ignore even the simple pass to him. 

Combine that with the paint-by-numbers way Southgate gets his team to play and it’s pretty thin gruel for a player like Jack to feed off. 

16 minutes ago, blandy said:

There was a moment last night where Pickford found Jack with a lovely kick out, Jack brought it down, turned and ran on in one fluid movement and then passed to Kane and moved into space

that followed about 5 minutes later by him almost pushing shaw out of the way to inch perfectly control a dropping ball sounded like they got huge ovations from the crowd, actual top quality first touch control made to look like the simplest thing in football, its scary to say thats something that other england players are missing

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

When you talk about players not passing to Jack specifically you are making us all sound like loons.

Jack didn't get the ball because we have a crap system and crap mindset derived from the manager.

He faded badly. He's definitely still carrying a knock or total lack of match sharpness.

I'd like to think he's took him off to not put him in the red zone for next week....but i doubt it.

He doesn't fancy him. He's a woeful manager.

You know, you’re probably right.  But there were definitely a few moments where it would have been easier for the player to pass to Jack than to stop, turn, and try a cross field ball.

Just give him the **** ball, he’s the playmaker.  Your job is to give him the **** ball.  

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Irish fans still angry at him 😂why ? it’s not like he was born in Ireland grew up in Ireland , hardly a Michael Owen and Wales scenario is it.

I'm not angry. I just die a little inside every time I remember that he could be playing for Ireland. Thanks for bringing that up again😢

F***ing MON. That's Rice and Grealish that he could have tied down.

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Said this in the match thread last night, England's attack don't press they do doggies, Southgate says he wants high intensity pressing and yet we don't press as a unit

I see Jack in the middle ambling about and think yeah maybe he could press a little bit more but then I see sterling and Kane nowhere near their man, phillips and rice are so deep that there's always a Czech central midfielder in space too, there's about 5 passes on to the man with the ball

The reason grealish doesn't run his bollocks off trying to press is because he's not an absolute **** idiot 

We are awful at pressing as a team 

I don’t know why this doesn’t get pointed out more often. Considering how much time Gareth’s spent watching Leeds and harping on about pressing England are incredibly passive.

Jack’s just being smart, he probably looks around at the lack of an organised press and decides he’s better off saving his energy.

13 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

I'm not angry. I just die a little inside every time I remember that he could be playing for Ireland. Thanks for bringing that up again😢

F***ing MON. That's Rice and Grealish that he could have tied down.

carry on teacher GIF

• Haha 1

Last night and with Jack in the team it became very evident that the forward players aren't pressing the ball high because of leaving gaps between them and the midfield, or DM's. The Jack strolling about being the prime example. When he had the ball at his feet he was dynamic, quick progressing the play forward, first touch of a demi god, superb 360 visibility. The lad had it all. Without the ball, nobody pressed, not just Jack, but neither Kane, Sterling or Saka. They just sat off until pushed to the halfway line where they then defended. 

When Jack didn't have the ball on the break you could see him patrolling the central space behind the attack covering the vacated space and the DM's. Most definitely instruction and not him struggling. Same with players overlapping from the flanks last night. You can clearly see Jack just covering the space. My bet is all of the negatives in his performance were instruction related and for him to be equally as defensive without the ball as offensive with it. I think this is probably the reason he looked well pissed off when getting hooked too, realising he could've done so much more with the shackles off. 

Make no mistake peeps. Southgate is holding the whole team back,  especially the players that could go and destroy teams if given the platform to do so. Everyone outside of Villa is raving about Jack after last night and he hasn't even got out of 2nd gear yet. I bet he just want's to be allowed to go full throttle like he does for us. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just think his second half showing was down to international experience. Hopefully he'll look at that and think, right next time the game goes a bit flat I'm not gonna give the manager a decision to make, I'm gonna demand the ball and force things to happen and have a go at my team mates. Act like a captain!

58 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

My hope is that the incessant lateral passing seems to be the 'tactic', as we try to draw the opponent before a 'blitzkrieg' vertical phase. I could see shoots of 'this' beginning to emerge against the Czechs. Furthermore, that England are settling into this rhythm and will get better and better at it as the tournament progresses. Big caveat is that we don't get dumped out before this is realised.

My fear is that the 'tactic' is incessant lateral passing to bore down the clock and hope to nick a set piece goal, and that these vertical phases are actually the players unshackling themselves from GarethBall.

For me, Jack&Sak™ have earnt their start in the round of 16 matchday starting lineup.

2 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

My hope is that the incessant lateral passing seems to be the 'tactic', as we try to draw the opponent before a 'blitzkrieg' vertical phase. I could see shoots of 'this' beginning to emerge against the Czechs. Furthermore, that England are settling into this rhythm and will get better and better at it as the tournament progresses. Big caveat is that we don't get dumped out before this is realised.

My fear is that the 'tactic' is incessant lateral passing to bore down the clock and hope to nick a set piece goal, and that these vertical phases are actually the players unshackling themselves from GarethBall.

For me, Jack&Sak™ have earnt their start in the round of 16 matchday starting lineup.

They know how to play with each other....easy now.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Thug said:

That prick Coufal.

When asked about jack he said "He's fantastic.  He needs to leave for a good club"

Says the guy playing for a proper shitty club.

or stay and be a legend, at a club where the owners will make it worthwhile to be a Legend.

PS He needs to practice what he preaches.....but first, he needs to find clubs interested in him, like Jack has.

Edited by TRO

Â