The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

He wasn't at his best, but not sure I understand some of the negativity, other than Saka I thought he was the best player in the first half, second half not so much so, but wasn't very good from an England point of view all round.

• Like 4

Most managers would instruct the midfield or defence to get it to grealish. Either Southgates instructions or half the team being dickheads. 2nd half we were rubbish, 2nd half he touched the ball probably 7 times ? Why ? Open several times and back it goes to Shaw who refuses point blank to give him the ball, same with sterling same with rice and Phillips. 

Clearly doesn't fit in to their little club.

Next time he needs to drive forwards and shoot for himself, just like the others do.

Still did more in terms of final product than anyone else on the pitch, in what was - as others have said - a fairly average performance. Says it all tbh, and I'd argue he still deserves to start next game on that basis.

• Like 1

As someone else pointed out, he's not the main man- yet. Hopefully he will grow as the tournament progresses. I'm just willing him to score a wonder goal to become the man for England that we know he can be  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chrisvilla4 said:

As someone else pointed out, he's not the main man- yet. Hopefully he will grow as the tournament progresses. I'm just willing him to score a wonder goal to become the man for England that we know he can be  

It looks to me as if he's been told not to shoot. Every time he gets in that position just to the left of the hole (ooh matron), where he'd normally cut inside and try and curling shot into the far corner, he seems to check back and feed it to Shaw (or whoever) on the underlap.

Fully believe Southgate has said to him "Don't shoot when you get in those positions, you need to learn to play for the team." Which is total ballcocks of course 

Is it me or does jack play better with players he actually likes as a people. 

high praise from jack about Saka from all the interviews. From ronight’s game.. both played well together. 

It’s 

beautiful jim carey GIF

Edited by CarryOnVilla

6 minutes ago, Five Ken McNaughts said:

I like Saka. He actively looks to make nice little interchanges with Grealish (while most of the team seem to try hard to avoid passing to him... sometimes embarrassingly so).

Saka was great, better than Foden last two games. My one criticism of Jack for the second half would be, DEMAND THAT BALL. Get in Sterlings ear and make it know that you want the ******* ball! 

• Like 1

He was decent first half, him and Saka kept it entertaining. Second half England decide to stop playing, barely touches the ball and then goes off. 

He'll probably be back on the bench next game but England will lose and our tournament will be over anyway so at least he can have a bit of a rest before coming back to what really matters. 

Think Jack played well, but it was frustrating watching him shackled by the system, by the lack of quick ball, and by Southgate’s obvious instructions to him to not do anything too clever.

Just seems like he’s not being given that permission he gets at Villa to really grab a game by the scruff of the neck and make things happen.

Ironically, Saka did seem to be freer to do what he wanted. Don’t know if that was Southgate’s plan, or if the lad just took it upon himself to drop deep and force the play.

Either way, a decent showing from Jack, still playing within himself, but giving the summer tourists a few glimpses of what he does for us.

• Like 1

I have no idea where to find the stats and i might be wrong but Sterling doesnt seem to ever pass to him. It is wierd watching him with England as he doesnt get to hog the ball and rightly so. And it shows how much we do rely on him 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I have no idea where to find the stats and i might be wrong but Sterling doesnt seem to ever pass to him. It is wierd watching him with England as he doesnt get to hog the ball and rightly so. And it shows how much we do rely on him 

There were two or three occasions today when he didn't. But then again Sterling probably isn't clever enough to see the pass.

21 minutes ago, chrisvilla4 said:

Not too sure how long England will stay in the competition.

If they have to go up against Germany and France they have no chance

5 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Add Shaw, rice and Phillips into that, nome of them pass him the ball, then with back pass stones in the team, the chances of him getting the ball are from either kane  or  right winger saka.

The only other person who passed to him was the keeper, where Jack swivelled took the ball down and drive forward.

Â