The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

2 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

I do not see this myself. Granted it was a touch before my lifetime, so I cannot judge properly. I consider Gascoigne more unreliable and unprofessional on the pitch. A moments player, so to speak. Someone who would go missing for large portions of a game and then pop up with a moment of absolute skill to wow. Jack drives a team, demands a standard. He is constant and relentless threat. Jack is an absolute athlete too. 

Would really like to hear peoples views on why the comparison is apt though. As I do not really know much about Gazza, other than the sad stuff.

You clarify there that it was before your time but to give you a taste of how good Gazza was he ran the entire show in a world cup semi final against a far superior team in West Germany. We 100% should have won that game and were desperately unlucky. 

He was 23. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

You clarify there that it was before your time but to give you a taste of how good Gazza was he ran the entire show in a world cup semi final against a far superior team in West Germany. We 100% should have won that game and were desperately unlucky. 

He was 23. 

I've seen the Italia 90' doc. Was in tears. Might search out that whole game. Found this youtube clip I am going to watch...

19 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

I do not see this myself. Granted it was a touch before my lifetime, so I cannot judge properly. I consider Gascoigne more unreliable and unprofessional on the pitch. A moments player, so to speak. Someone who would go missing for large portions of a game and then pop up with a moment of absolute skill to wow. Jack drives a team, demands a standard. He is constant and relentless threat. Jack is an absolute athlete too. 

Would really like to hear peoples views on why the comparison is apt though. As I do not really know much about Gazza, other than the sad stuff.

Wayne Rooney has said of Jack: 

"reminds me of the legend I watched at Everton." Rooney explained: "Jack Grealish is the closest thing I've seen to Gazza on a football pitch. "He has a lot to do to reach Gazza's levels but his style of play, the way he takes the ball and runs with it in a way that is so awkward to play against, his sheer confidence on the field -- it all reminds me of the legend I watched at Everton, and then trained with when I joined their first-team squad.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

I’m afraid to say that you’re completely wrong about Paul Gascoigne, and to be fair you do allude to him being before your lifetime. A troubled human, yes he was. Affected by the adoration and unable live with being under the microscope. But “a moments” player? Get out of here. He was an unbelievable player who drove his teams forward. You should know that by Euro 96 he was on the decline, his best years were before that tournament. It was his enthusiasm that done for him, with an ill judged tackle in an FA Cup final causing him a serious injury from which he never really recovered, both mentally and physically. Paul Gascoigne was an immense talent in the too short time we got to watch him.

Couldn't have put it better. Gazza, in his prime, wasn't a luxury player: there's no way that would've flown in the Newcastle team he entered as a teenager. I know it's a stereotype, but they demanded graft and that's what they got from him. Later on his career, at Rangers and Boro, he worked and worked.

For all of his hijinks, his energy levels were off the chart (the two might be connected!). At Italia 90, I'm sure I heard that he played one touch or head tennis for so long that he and those who played with him with sore the next day. 

We all know the sad mental impact the game had on him, but his workmate shouldn't be underestimated. I think this is the mistake Southgate is making with Jack: he's falling into the typical (if inaccurate) view that Jack is a luxury player, when the truth, like Gazza, is that our struggles without him were because of the absence of his grit and desire, as well as his creativity. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

I've seen the Italia 90' doc. Was in tears. Might search out that whole game. Found this youtube clip I am going to watch...

Watching that at 1.5x, I really do no see the comparisons. Jack is a far superior 'consistent' dribbler and passer. God I'm so nostalgic for that era though. Love the aesthetic.

Clips I've seen of Best are closer. I say without shame.

Of course I think that I should be England first and foremost but I will be really upset if Jack does not start tonight. Sad that it will make such a difference to my night whether Jack starts or not, but this is true.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

No-one SHOULD be but unfortunately some ARE

Southgate's attempts to impose some sort of discipline on whatever imagined slight Jack is meant to have done will ultimately cost him his job. You're right, although he campaigns on this idea that folks are there on merit, the fact is that he has his group of untouchables (part of this is from his views on attitude and workrate, and the other part is from his knowledge of them from U21s). Southgate is exhibiting all the classic signs of confirmation bias. 

Edited by KevinRichardsonsMoustache
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Phil Silvers said:

Sorry I'm out of likes but this just made my day mate, cheers.

Tell me about. I tried to talk myself round before the match against Scotland but I was all bile inside and moping about when chatting to local mates about England. Absolutely buzzing for tonight's game now.

3 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Tell me about. I tried to talk myself round before the match against Scotland but I was all bile inside and moping about when chatting to local mates about England. Absolutely buzzing for tonight's game now.

Same here bud, hope he blows the Czechs away. This wasn't supposed to be but it's looking like the toughest game in the group now, so glad we gave the points on the board.

1 hour ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I’m so glad I’m not English

Goodfellas GIF

It takes a certain strength of character, fortitude is important. It’s only really a sense of humour that sees us through the darkest of days though. We bloody well need one of those. What other reason could there possibly be to have The Emu as our national team manager?

If just England had a manager like the danish national coach Kasper Hjulmand who is attacking minded and gives freedom to his players...but Im glad they haven't as he is our, the danish, manager :)

• Like 2

Â